Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I a legal leg to stand on?

Options
  • 08-08-2010 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I got Sky tv installed a few months back. Everything was working fine for six weeks, then I had trouble receiving a lot of the channels I had subscribed to. An engineer came out and he told me that a neighbours tree was blocking the signal. I asked how come it was working fine at the start, to which he responded by saying it was now summertime and there were more leaves on the tree, which makes sense I guess. He moved the dish as high up as he possibly could. He told me that I might be okay for this year, but that next year the tree will probably block the signal again. The tree is also leaning over to one side and is probably in danger of falling on one of the houses in the estate. Does anyone know if I have any legal right to insist that this neighbour (who I don't know) has this tree cut down?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You might have some basis if a qualified tree surgeon declared the tree unsafe and beyond salvage but if it's not then I fail to see how a neighbour could be legally obliged to cut down his tree so that you can available of the luxury of satellite TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Have you tried just talking to your neighbour?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joe Blob

I haven't talked to them yet. I don't know them and they have a reputation for being hard to get along with. I was just looking for some advice so I would know what approach to take when I DO talk to them. I'm not just concerned about my TV reception, I can always change back to UPC, I'm more concerned about the damn tree falling on my house. It's already leaning over to one side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

The tree was there a lot longer than your dish!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If any of the branches are overhanging your property you can cut them, but you must return the cut branches to your neighbour as they still own them.

Not too sure if this will improve your Sky reception or your relationship with your neighbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Joe Blob

It doesn't matter how long the tree was there, the fact that it's in danger of falling over is surely the point here. My next door neightbours on either side are concerned about this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,596 ✭✭✭maidhc

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2009/a2709.pdf

See chapter 3.

I have not yet seen it used in practice, but I think it now reflects the law in this area.

Advertisement