Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH 2010

• 08-08-2010 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

hey!
    Was wondering can the new 6ths years tell me what's new for yous this year in irish?

I know the Oral is now 40%
    but is An Trial still on?
    Any changes with Poetry or Stories?

I just need to know for my grinds this year and the syllabus online doesn't go into details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

I'm pretty sure, its the same as last year because we've already started the course. It's this year's 5th years that have a course change:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

6th years have the old course, 5th years have the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

oh ok!
    thanks for telling me
    :)

any ideas what the change is for the fifth years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

I imagine the pedophile has been eliminated?

Unlikely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

5 new stories and poems to be done by HL and OL, a section of An Triail to be done instead of danta dualgais breise, oral worth 40% with no sliocht, instead telling whats happening in a series of 4 pictures.
    Let me think, what else...
    They were talking about changing the marks for the HL aiste around from the 80/20 grammar/ideas it is now, but haven't heard it that's gone ahead. Also a question in the leamhthuiscint similar to the new JC leamhthuiscint, if you know what I mean.
    If theres a conference near you in Sept/Oct I would go, they went through it in a lot of detail at the one last year it was good.

• Advertisement

And the cluastuisint is shortened similar to JC as well. And the answer to that last question is a resounding no! Couldn't believe it myself either... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

Lahm wrote: »
    I imagine the pedophile has been eliminated?

Unlikely though.

no i think he's still there! i heard it was a story called "Seal sa Neipeal" :eek:
    it's up to the schools if they want to study it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

I done the LC this yr ( 2010 ) what was the oral worth? surely its not 40%?:eek:

James_LWAU wrote: »
    I done the LC this yr ( 2010 ) what was the oral worth? surely its not 40%?:eek:

it's only 25%, don't worry:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I'm doing the LC in 2012 so will my oral be worth 40% :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

I'm doing the LC in 2012 so will my oral be worth 40% :eek:

Yes, I'm doing it in 2012 too so I guess it's a good thing? Don't know much about the oral but a few people i've spoken to said it's fairly handy? :p

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm doing it in 2012 too so I guess it's a good thing? Don't know much about the oral but a few people i've spoken to said it's fairly handy? :p

Ya but i'm sooo bad at irish. I'd nearly prefer it to be 25% :(

If you're going into 5thyear now then yes your oral will be worth 40%. I think its a step in the right direction.

I think its a step in the right direction.

Ya thats true.
    Looks like i'll be of to da gaeltacht so :rolleyes:

Ya thats true.
    Looks like i'll be of to da gaeltacht so :rolleyes:

Hopefully though as it's going to be 40% teachers will spend more time practising for it :D

kevin12345 wrote: »
    Hopefully though as it's going to be 40% teachers will spend more time practising for it :D

Ya hopefully :D but if I have the same teacher as i had for the JC i'm screwed :(

Ya but i'm sooo bad at irish. I'd nearly prefer it to be 25% :(

well if you're bad at irish, the oral being worth 40% will be good for you:) you'll be learning things off for the oral about family, school, hobbies etc., which is much easier to learn than all poetry and prose that was on the old course! and teachers will have to spend more time on it if it's worth 40%

i like pie wrote: »
    well if you're bad at irish, the oral being worth 40% will be good for you:) you'll be learning things off for the oral about family, school, hobbies etc., which is much easier to learn than all poetry and prose that was on the old course! and teachers will have to spend more time on it if it's worth 40%

Ya I heard learning all the poetry and prose was a real pain. God you're actually right and if you can speak it better then the written won't be as hard either :). Thanks OP ;) I don't feel so bad about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

My teacher told me that there would be no stair na gaeilge either, and the 8 long poems would be shortend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

Well I've taught a good amount of students Irish and I can assure you the oral is the easiest part of the exam (and i'm a fluent speaker it's my easiest exam overall).

So for those of you heading into fifth year DONT WORRY! You'll be fine, the examiners want to promote Irish, not scare students so they'll be on your side.

Bit of advice though, if you're not strong in Irish go to a gaeltacht cos they really improve spoken irish for students. The one i'd recomend is Colaiste Ui Chadhain in Galway. They're real strict about speaking and learning it but are very fun too. And i swear i'm not trying to advertise them. lol

And thanks to those who've told me about the new syllabus

:)

• Advertisement

This is the new Irish course (in Irish).

http://viewer.zoho.com/docs/bSbdacj

If you have Google Chrome you can translate it into English. I don't know the old course so I can't exactly tell the difference, so if there is anyone who knows the old course can they give a breakdown of the changes please?

Just another thing? An triail or stair na gaeilge, what parts do they fall into?
    Paper 1: = 160 = 27% mark Listening Comprehension (60 marks) + inventorship (100 marks) Listening and devising examined in this paper. Paper 2: = 200 mark = 33% Reading x 2 (50 marks + 50 marks) + Prose designated or optional (30 marks) + Poetry designated or optional (30 marks) + Additional Literature (40 marks)

Advertisement