Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is Trip Switch?

Options
  • 08-08-2010 9:41pm
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi Folks,

just bought an oldish house an

there are a few jobs I need to do an I need to switch off the power in my house. From the central fusebox. Also its good to know that I can switch off the power when need be.
    Problem is the is no switch whatsoever!! Its just a black meter with no fuses or switches! The house was built around 1978-1980 so maybe its original. But surely there would be some kind of safety mechenism? How do I switch off the power?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There must be a distribution board / fusebox somewhere else in the house!
    It may not be located next to the meter.
    Try garage, utility room, closets etc... It could be hidden away! The board could also be flush-fitted and have a door ... Check around it'll be there :)

Is this meter in a box outside by any chance?
    If so, that's DEFINITELY not where you'll find your distribution board.

You simply can't have an installation with no local fusing! ESB wouldn't have connected it up !!

1978-1980 isn't that old!

Our place is from about 1850 :)
    There are also plenty of old old installations around from the 1920s to 1950s!

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

thanks a lot Solair...I am going to look

Advertisement