Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Must Pull It Together[Article]

• 08-08-2010 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

From the Sunday Tribune:
    Beleaguered radio station Newstalk needs to "pull it together" after the resignation last week of Claire Byrne from its breakfast programme, according to advertising agencies which are monitoring the frequent departures from the station with increasing concern.

Byrne's departure follows the resignation of Eamon Keane from Newstalk's lunchtime programme in May and a recent demand by Byrne's co-host, Ivan Yates, that he start work a little later every morning.

Byrne is to co-present an afternoon show on RTE television, Daily Extra, with weatherman Daithí Ó Sé.

"Lunchtime and the morning slot are the drivers in radio, and Newstalk have to make sure they have their very best talent in those times," said Mark Hopkins, managing director of advertising agency Hopkins Communications. "It is time to pull it together, and as soon as possible too. If they don't keep up their market share it will result in a very tricky situation for the station. The next while is going to be crucial in financial and advertising terms and there is the opinion now that it is time for new blood."

According to Shane McGonigle, managing director of Leo Burnett, Newstalk needs "someone with a bit of weight to their name now and advertisers are watching closely. Eamon [Keane] had quite a dedicated listenership and a certain appeal for advertisers so his departure was a bit of a shock. He was very well versed and quite professional and had a good approach, and now that Byrne is gone it is more crucial than ever that a big change happens.

"They have a problem now which they need to fix, and there is no doubt that new names will have to be brought in. Claire brought a bit of personality and a bit of notoriety to the show and that is what they are going to have to find again.

"They are very important slots in terms of time and audience that need to be permanently filled in order to get the revenue in to keep the station going," said McGonigle.

Speaking about her departure, Byrne said it was "an extremely difficult decision. I agonised for months on what to do. However, when this opportunity came along, I knew it was the right thing for me to do and was the right next step. I have been out of TV four years now but I understand how it works and I know where I'm going with this."

Sources in the station say management is now looking for a permanent replacement for both Byrne and Keane.

"Juggling the presenters around isn't really an option, so they are faced with a massive dilemma, especially given the fact it is so important for advertisers and revenue," one source said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Eamon Keane and Claire Byrne leaving the station has improved it if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

I agree 100%. They have a golden opportunity now to really sort themselves out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed, advertising 'wonks' are the last people I'd be looking to please! Resigned almost suggets Ms Byrne was unhappy when all that happened was that she got made a better offer, surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Personally I think Newstalk will not last another year.

1. Losing Eamon Keane, the only listenable presenter on national radio at midday. No point listening to the drone that they put in his place.

2. Giving Tom Dunne a speaking slot instead of a music programme . He is an utterly insufferable lightweight . That's the morning totally gone for them.

3. George Hook makes Mary Wilson interesting and Mary Wilson is the worst presenter on Radio one , late afternoon gone.

4. Combination of all the above makes Moncrieff look like a heavyweight. I never thought I would hear myself say that but feck it I just did.:eek:

5. Early Morning , never listened unless that Aine Lawlor was on elsewhere and therefore never noticed what they were up to. Claire Byrne was always crap ...just less annoying than Lawlor and her bleat bleat bleat style of hectoring.

TodayFM now have a better occasional substitute presenter in Anton Savage than Newstalk have in their main lineup. This should ring the ominous bells in Newstalk but they don't seem to care.

Other than Moncrieff there is no absolutely reason to listen to Newstalk any more. Sheeesh :( Imminent roadkill I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

You either love George Hook or you hate him, but enough love him to hang the evening slot around him. I like his style, and he deals with the issues the way I like to hear them dealt with.

Ger Colleran seems to be hawking himself round the media a bit, with slots covering for Dunphy on radio and Vincent on tv. I have to say I like Colleran, he expounds the kind of suitable outrage at the shenanigans in this country that we need, and isn't afraid to speak his mind. The day he printed in his paper that Seanie and Fingers should be SHOT, he became a kind of mini-hero for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

"Lunchtime and the morning slot are the drivers in radio, and Newstalk have to make sure they have their very best talent in those times," said Mark Hopkins, managing director of

Right, so what was byrne doing there in the first place :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Personally I think Newstalk will not last another year.

1. Losing Eamon Keane, the only listenable presenter on national radio at midday. No point listening to the drone that they put in his place.

I must have been listening to some other Eamonn Keane, because, IMO, he was woeful. Biased and a plawmauser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

mike65 wrote: »
    Indeed, advertising 'wonks' are the last people I'd be looking to please!

Whats a wonk?

And why wouldn't you want to keep advertisers happy? Aren't they basically the main (or only) source of income for most stations?

A wonk is a geek/expert, geeks do not represent the average listener would be my point.
    If you start trying to please media buyers before the public you are on a rocky road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

paddyland wrote: »
    Ger Colleran seems to be hawking himself round the media a bit, with slots covering for Dunphy on radio and Vincent on tv. I have to say I like Colleran, he expounds the kind of suitable outrage at the shenanigans in this country that we need, and isn't afraid to speak his mind. The day he printed in his paper that Seanie and Fingers should be SHOT, he became a kind of mini-hero for me...
    I certainly hope not. A garish mouthpiece is all he is imo. His man of the people shtick doesn't wash with me and he's been peddling it long enough. Best keep to his tat in the Star and off the airwaves thanks.
    I heard his efforts standing in for Dunphy and they were less than admirable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

A wonk is a geek/expert, geeks do not represent the average listener would be my point.
    If you start trying to please media buyers before the public you are on a rocky road.

Gotcha,- absolutely fair enough... but you do still want to please them to *some* degree (not ahead of the listeners, yes, but still...) all the same ;)

Indeed, advertising 'wonks' are the last people I'd be looking to please! Resigned almost suggets Ms Byrne was unhappy when all that happened was that she got made a better offer, surely?
    Unfortunately, Mike, you must please the advertising buyers as well as the listeners. However, Newstalk seem uninterested in pleasing either these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They do have some positive points too

Off the Ball is quality and they have a number of sponsored slots and competitions so it must be somewhat attractive to advertisers

Talking History on Sunday nights is quality too.
    And they have a new sponsor too, some company offering guided tours of historical areas.

Indeed they do have many positive points and assets... They just don't use them: Henry McKean - a first class broadcaster, Brendan O'Brien - confined to Saturday mornings:rolleyes:, As you say, Off the Ball - a quality show which they decided to dumb down for the summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I didn't know Byrne had left. Total lightweight anyway and she was winging it basically.No loss, if she has actually gone.
    In fairness Off The Ball is pretty good.
    However O'Brien can't keep bankrolling Newstalk forever? If Rte come calling they all want to get on that gravy train. If it were up to me I'd privatise RTE. We have a media bubble in this country with too many talentless media graduates employed in it.
    Their day of reckoning is coming.

We have a media bubble in this country with too many talentless media graduates employed in it.
    Their day of reckoning is coming.
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting if I was you:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

ntlbell wrote: »
    "Lunchtime and the morning slot are the drivers in radio, and Newstalk have to make sure they have their very best talent in those times," said Mark Hopkins, managing director of

Right, so what was byrne doing there in the first place :confused::confused:

Dont know either i think they just put her in after eamon dunphy left in 2006

Newstalk were a great station back a few years ago David McWilliams done the breakfast show then and was a good prog as was eamon dunphy when mc williams left imo

After that they had Byrne & Gilroy doing the show i think she was there for the "fluffy" issues & Gilroy done the serious stuff

But he was replaced by Yates and tbh i dont think hes interested in issues

So Newstalk Try and get either dunphy or mcwilliams back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

bob50 wrote: »
    So Newstalk Try and get either dunphy or mcwilliams back

Agreed, but they've burned those bridges. They treated David Mc Williams very badly in 2004 and brought in Dunphy. Dunphy was great in the morning, but he lost the plot with the management there soon enough himself. I get the impression Denis O'brien was interfering too much, and pushing people about.

On the positive side. Off the ball is excellent. Hook is just about passable, now Matt Cooper has gone off on a 'my nama' wobbler. Bredan O'Brien has a great little show at 8am on a Saturday. Talking History is excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I was listening (to part of)the MotorMouth show this evening whilst driving.

Utter Drivel.......for 2 hours??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Yes, have to agree about that Motor Mouth show - good idea, but piss poor presentation - bad college radio in my view.
    One thing struck me about that Sunday Tribune article and the quotes from AD agency execs. Tell me if I'm wrong here but don't they buy Ad time and sponsorship based on the JNLR trends? Who are they to say what'll work and what will not work in terms of schedules, content and presenters?
    Do they not react to audience figures and spend their client's money accordingly?
    I know there's an old saying that 'everyone's an effin critic' (and God knows there were was never a truer word written for this place) but who gives a **** what they think - they just follow the herd.
    Right or very wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I was listening (to part of)the MotorMouth show this evening whilst driving.

Utter Drivel.......for 2 hours??!!
    I had the unfortunate experience of being trapped in a car from Galway to Dublin with someone who insisted on listening to this tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

I take it you weren't the driver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Robar

Claire Byrne skills as a presenter have long gone on Radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Biggest mistake they made was getting rid of David McWilliams about 5 or 6 years ago. He did an excellent show on a shoestring and was very professional, covered a wide range of topics on his own.

Dunphy on paper was a good replacement but he was never going to stick the early mornings; and I see Ivan Yates now saying he'd like a longer lie-in. Claire Byrne was rubbish.

They should try to get McWilliams back.

I quite like Tom Dunne as it happens. Anyone who gets Tony Bennett on their morning show is all right by me. Wouldn't be a Moncrieff fan, but I can see why he might appeal; ditto George Hook.

Think Off the Ball is the best show on radio weekdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I must add Talking History too as a great show. So actuallyNewstalk have the bones of a good station there. I just don't think the management know what they are doing. Do the public really want big names? Claire Byrne was brought in supposedly because she was well known,I'd never heard of here but I believe she read the news on TV3:eek: This is what constitutes credibility? I think people like Gilroy should be given more of an opportunity,it was clear he had a much wider general knowledge than Byrne yet he was the one to get the boot.Yates annoys a lot of people and they didn't need him in the first place. Despite what someone said earlier Henry McKean is not good,he's very lightweight and tabloid. Newstalk could work but if it's still loss making then it can't be long for this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Breakfast shows are usually the driver behind any Radio station and the biggest listeners, Newstalk have been all over the place in this regard chopping and changing too much and thus have only roughly 70,000 listeners which is quite terrible. One solution i think is to get Richard Crowley no bull**** no tabloid led stories no opinion led interviews just utter professionalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Badabing wrote: »
    Breakfast shows are usually the driver behind any Radio station and the biggest listeners, Newstalk have been all over the place in this regard chopping and changing too much and thus have only roughly 70,000 listeners which is quite terrible. One solution i think is to get Richard Crowley no bull**** no tabloid led stories no opinion led interviews just utter professionalism.

Why would he leave a semi-state to join Newstalk? And lose the pension? No way I would.

Unless he did a George Lee and arranged that he can be taken back in a year's time if it doesn't work out.....ok can of worms but I couldn't resist.

(on that note though, maybe Mark Little would think about it?).

Badabing wrote: »

A. I doubt he'd leave his cushy well paid number at RTE and B. I think Newstalk ahs lost all credibility as a serious News and Current Affairs led station so they'd need to stick with the populist tabloid style they now have or else they'd need to start at the bottom and possibly re-brand.
    Bill2673 wrote: »
    Why would he leave a semi-state to join Newstalk? And lose the pension? No way I would.

Unless he did a George Lee and arranged that he can be taken back in a year's time if it doesn't work out.....ok can of worms but I couldn't resist.

(on that note though, maybe Mark Little would think about it?).

Agreed! He'd be nuts to leave RTE. Maybe Mark Little would be able to tiew in something with his own new status as 'self employed'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Although a lot of people enjoy Off the Ball and the high amount of Sports discussion on Newstalk isn't it sad to see that it's original intended aim was to be a news and current affairs station?

If it's Sports dept alone is the only one making any progress it should seriously consider becoming a fulltime sports station; and possibly leave a gap for a dedicated news station that can get it's act together.

That would suit me to the ground :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Yes, have to agree about that Motor Mouth show - good idea, but piss poor presentation - bad college radio in my view.

Londonderry ;)

The thought of the Of the Ball team being on all day fills me with horror!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

The thought of the Of the Ball team being on all day fills me with horror!

There's 10 mins of sports per hour. G Hook's and Lunchtime sports segments 30+ mins each. Combine that with Off the ball every weeknight followed by a weekend pretty much dedicated to sport really shouts 'Sportstalk 106-108' with little tidbits of News and Current Affairs. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

I see no-one has mentioned 'Global Village'.

IMO this is utter trite which swings in several different political directions - always contradicting itself.

Norris is a good laugh though. Obviously doesn't take his (radio) job seriously (in a good way).

Also, with the repeats at nighttime! Are they having a laugh?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

The Agogo wrote: »

Night time is the only time I listen to Newstalk- Moncrieffe is the best thing on the radio at 2:00 am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I really wish the signal strength would go up a few notches. Im forever losing the signal and then if I go to RTE 1 their, woeful programming IMO, is crystal clear.

I like Ivan, never really listened to the program enough to hear why everyone hates Claire Byrne but Ill take everyones word on that.

The current lunchtime fella seems fine.

Moncrieff(sp) is hit and miss with me. Sometimes like him sometimes think the things he covers is a waste of time.

Hook, rarely like him.

Sports crowd - Good but their intolerance of motorracing some time annoys me. Good and bad, the attitude of one of the presenters doesnt seem professional at times.

Orla Barry - GET OFF THE AIR!

Down to Business I think is quite good.

Thats all I would listen too but I wish their signal would just get stronger.

Compared to RTE:

The Tubs has some flashes of a really good presenter but only flashes.
    Kenny is Kenny. Cant stand the fellow.
    Joe Duffy is fine, dont listen to the show but dont mind it being there if you get me.
    Derek Mooney is the Orla Barry of RTE. Utterly awfully ****!
    Drivetime seems good to me, dont listen to it enough though.
    Id say I would be swayed to listen to that over Hook. The today FM fella seems decent too.

Just the opinion of a person who doesnt listen to too much radio, but knows what he hates :p

Oh, the motor show on Mondays on newstalk is good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

bbk wrote: »
    I really wish the signal strength would go up a few notches. Im forever losing the signal and then if I go to RTE 1 their, woeful programming IMO, is crystal clear.

I like Ivan, never really listened to the program enough to hear why everyone hates Claire Byrne but Ill take everyones word on that.

The current lunchtime fella seems fine.....................

Just the opinion of a person who doesnt listen to too much radio, but knows what he hates :p

Oh, the motor show on Mondays on newstalk is good.

Now that you've told us all who you Like and dislike, perhaps you might explain why. Otherwise your post carries little weight and comes across like you were ticking off boxes in a survey.
    This time tomorrow, nobody who read your post will remember your personal tastes for all the presenters you listed. But if you took the time to say why you love them or hate them, it might spark of some kind of discussion. Otherwise the whole point of a discussion forum is pointless. There are few things more boring than someone reeling off a list of things they hate without any explaination.

By the way - I agree with you about the frequent poor reception on Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

The Agogo wrote: »
    I see no-one has mentioned 'Global Village'.

IMO this is utter trite which swings in several different political directions - always contradicting itself.

Norris is a good laugh though. Obviously doesn't take his (radio) job seriously (in a good way).

Cant stand that show. A 2 hour winge fest which as you said has no real idea what its identity is or what it stands for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I listen to Newstalk quite a bit as i work shift and im not really into listening to the latest crap in the charts.

For what its worth here's my 2 cents.

Moncrief is the stations best asset. He is funny, articulate, interesting and has a good attitude and way with people. I could listen to his entire show every day without touching the dial. I particularly like the food slot with paolo tuilio, the origins of words slot and also movies and booze. The fact that he never really talks about sport is also a plus as its already done to death in all the other shows. I think he would be the only daily presenter that any other station would poach.

Ivan yeats is ok in the mornings, ok but not great. Ger Gilroy was much better IMO and could easily carry that show on his own. In fact Ger Gilroy is up there with Moncrief as the stations best assets. He has been doing a great jobs on weekend sport since the other guy left for radio kerry.
    I find im always flicking between RTE and Newstalk in the mornings as neither are great but RTE is the better of the 2.

Tom dunne is a complete lightweight and his show is one of the worst daily shows around. I always listened to his evening shows on today fm where he was excellent but this new role does not suit him.
    To give him credit his show has improved recently but that would not have been difficult as it was so poor at the start. I remember him discussing unloading dishwashers for 30 minutes with people ringing in giving their experiences. Trype.
    Now that he only has a 2 hour show maybe it will improve in content but i doubt it.

Lunchtime is a tabloid show of the highest order and could not be listened to in its entirety. I only have it on until the news at one comes on RTE.
    Eamon keane was a gutter journalist who sensationalised everything and its a blessing that he is gone. The new guy Damian is a bit better but has recently started to borrow from keans style which is not good.

Hook is a idiot. Thats just my opinion but i fully believe it. From 4:30 -7 i will constantly flick between, newstalk, today fm and rte but will spend the most amount of time listening to Matt Cooper. Hook is too opinionated, too self absorbed and dare i say too old to be presenting a current affairs show.

Off the ball is excellent.

Talking business is very good.

Talking history is an excellent show and by far the best thing on radio at that timeslot.

Drivetime/driveslot or whatever its called is brutal. I cannot believe anyone would pay to advertise during that programme. I have heard better produced pirate radio shows.

Global village is the worst show on radio.

Culture shock is quite good.

Dumphys show is ok. I have only heard it a few time however.

I think newstalk needs a bit of a shake up alright. Put Tom Dunne back to today fm and get anton savage to do his slot or maybe lunchtime.

Ger Gilroy back to breakfast.

Give george the boot and get mark little in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They should retire Hookie alright. Would he ever just ask a question without connected it with a personal story and listen carefully to the answer without interrupting the interviewee. He's so amateur it's still quite cringeworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Off the ball is excellent.

Talking business is very good.

Talking history is an excellent show and by far the best thing on radio at that timeslot.

Drivetime/driveslot or whatever its called is brutal. I cannot believe anyone would pay to advertise during that programme. I have heard better produced pirate radio shows.

Global village is the worst show on radio.

Culture shock is quite good.

Dumphys show is ok. I have only heard it a few time however.

I think newstalk needs a bit of a shake up alright. Put Tom Dunne back to today fm and get anton savage to do his slot or maybe lunchtime.

Ger Gilroy back to breakfast.

Give george the boot and get mark little in there.

Sometimes the station takes itself to seriously tbh. The breakfast show is the big problem really, too fast sometimes and doesnt interest me really, dunno if gilroy will fix things, maybe if they slowed it down and had a few more interesting interviews not just ranting and raving about AIB or the goverment etc... same topics every morning. I aslo wonde rif the station would benefit from a phone in show at night aswell, not every night but 2-3 nights a week, move motormouth to the weekend to stop all those repeats or maybe a phone in show on a sunday night after talking history, they need to take more risks really, more actual presenters who went and studied it and not so called celebrites

• Advertisement
Advertisement