Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics books

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

neonman wrote: »
    I have read it far too many times. It has become the book I read on the loo. The book I read going to bed, and the book I pick up on a Sunday morning. I'm obsessed with this book. I hate this book. It tells me what to do. It brings me nothing but pain. :eek. ...until that fateful day, when it has a happy ending. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Have read Ovett's book and one of Coe's books years ago. I think Coe mentioned in his book that he did 3 X 800m in training and got the Commonwealth qualifier time in each of the 800m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

neonman wrote: »

Is there a beginner's version of this? Maybe just called Marathoning? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

I have read it far too many times. It has become the book I read on the loo. The book I read going to bed, and the book I pick up on a Sunday morning. I'm obsessed with this book. I hate this book. It tells me what to do. It brings me nothing but pain. :eek. ...until that fateful day, when it has a happy ending. :)

I feel your pain. This book will haunt me for the rest of my running life !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

claralara wrote: »
    Is there a beginner's version of this? Maybe just called Marathoning? :D

Despite the title, I think it's well worth a read for pretty much anyone. A lot of useful information in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Its a good book alright, but I think JDs training schedules are far superior. Although P&D contains some good stuff, I really like the taper section. I use a mixture of both books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Where can you get the podcast fo the Born to Run book? Cheers in advance!

I just got Born to Run and Advanced Marathoning from bookdepositry.co.uk for 17e and free delivery. That should keep me busy for the next 6 months. Probably won't have time to run with all the reading! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

claralara wrote: »
    I just got Born to Run and Advanced Marathoning from bookdepositry.co.uk for 17e and free delivery. That should keep me busy for the next 6 months. Probably won't have time to run with all the reading! :)

Stupid xebec was out for a wander today and spotted Advanced Marathoning in Easons on O'Connell St, only though was 'oh I'll have that so'. Let's just say I paid a good bit more than what you did!! :rolleyes:

Haha. Now if mine was a lot cheaper than the one you picked up, I’ve probably gone and bought a book about the speed of ostriches or cheetahs knowing me…:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned "Feet In The Clouds" by Richard Askwith yet.

It is a fantatic book about his efforts to complete the Bob Graham round in the Lake District in particular and the history of fell running in the UK in general.
    I have read the Born To Run book and it is brilliant but this book is by far my favourite book on running. And also the best in my opinion.

Some others I enjoyed were;
    Running Through the Wall : Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon,
    a collection of stories about runners experiences with Ultras in America,

Why We Run : A Natural History by Bernd Heinrich, an examination of how the human body is built for endurance running but also a memoir of his life.

Meditations from the Breakdown Lane: Running Across America by Jame E Shapiro. Exactly what it says on the box, he ran across America.
    The last one is out of print but can be picked up cheaply enough on Ebay or amazon. By the same guy who wrote Ultramarathon which will cost you an arm and a leg.

I got Ovett and Coe: Perfect Distance recently but haven't read it yet. Is it any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned "Feet In The Clouds" by Richard Askwith yet.

It is a fantatic book about his efforts to complete the Bob Graham round in the Lake District in particular and the history of fell running in the UK in general.
    I have read the Born To Run book and it is brilliant but this book is by far my favourite book on running. And also the best in my opinion.

Some others I enjoyed were;
    Running Through the Wall : Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon,
    a collection of stories about runners experiences with Ultras in America,

Why We Run : A Natural History by Bernd Heinrich, an examination of how the human body is built for endurance running but also a memoir of his life.

Meditations from the Breakdown Lane: Running Across America by Jame E Shapiro. Exactly what it says on the box, he ran across America.
    The last one is out of print but can be picked up cheaply enough on Ebay or amazon. By the same guy who wrote Ultramarathon which will cost you an arm and a leg.

I got Ovett and Coe: Perfect Distance recently but haven't read it yet. Is it any good?

I read Born to Run recently and enjoyed it, its well written with a good story running through it as well as the theme of barefoot running.

I also read Perfect Distance by Pat Butcher during my recent holiday and did not enjoy it as much. It was informative and covered an era when I was just getting interested in the sport but I was disappointed with how it was written. Some of the chapters looked like previous articles slotted in to fill space. There was quite a bit of repetition and generally needed better editing.

Last year I read "What I talk about when I talk about running" by Murakami which I would rate above both of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

+1 on the Murakami. He's a proper writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paul_d1studio

Lore of Running is a great reference book too.

Think Eamonn Coughlan's book was excellent too.

Thinking Body, Dancing Mind is also a great reference book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Sorry to resurrect this but someone posted a link on another thread to where I can buy Eamon Coghlan's book. Amazon UK just seem to have it from 3rd party sellers or something.

But someone posted a link to another site that had it for sale and I can't find it (the post or the link).

Can someone else find it and post the link here?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

From Sofa to Start Line - Mike hare [ http://www.fromsofatostartline.com]

Heard about it from Marathon Talk podcast, this bloke lost 17 stone and started running marathons.

Im not quite that good, but I have lost 4 1/2 stone and have started running, so his story is not unlike my own. So I found it very interesting, as I can relate to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Paula Radcliffe's book is a great read.

From Sofa to Start Line - Mike hare [ http://www.fromsofatostartline.com]

Heard about it from Marathon Talk podcast, this bloke lost 17 stone and started running marathons.

Im not quite that good, but I have lost 4 1/2 stone and have started running, so his story is not unlike my own. So I found it very interesting, as I can relate to it.

Going through a similar transformation myself. I want to lose 6 stone, possibly 7, although my diet is severely limiting my efforts, although it's my own fault for not eating right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Going through a similar transformation myself. I want to lose 6 stone, possibly 7, although my diet is severely limiting my efforts
    It all comes from diet. You have to eat the right things and not eat the bad things.

The most important first step I took was to plain not have bad things in the house, anything I cut out was never allowed in my house, so you cant snack on it, if its not there! Remember that one slice of cake or sarnie will take a week in the gym to get rid off, so its just not worth it :)

If you want to PM me I will give you some tips about what worked for me. The nutrition and diet forum has some great stickies which may help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Going through a similar transformation myself. I want to lose 6 stone, possibly 7, although my diet is severely limiting my efforts, although it's my own fault for not eating right.

Speaking of Running books and weight loss. Racers Weight by Matt Fitzgerald. Great tips and talks alot of sense

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

ecoli wrote: »
    Speaking of Running books and weight loss. Racers Weight by Matt Fitzgerald. Great tips and talks alot of sense

Other than running shops this is my 2nd favourite shop...:)

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781934030516/Racing-Weight

ecoli wrote: »

Ordered that too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭frebel

I'd like to add my own book, Run to Endure, which has some reviews on Amazon now after releasing it last week and is climbing up the charts for books on Training

A Story about Training to Run, Think and Live better

If you have ever struggled with injury, bad habits, doubts or lack of motivation, then this book gives you a blueprint to leave them in your past.

Run to Endure is a series of stories that tracks the ups and downs in the life of an athlete, Morgan K, as he trains in team sports, boxing and eventually running in County Cork, Ireland. When he begins to develop his mindset, he quickly progresses from being a runner without direction and little improvement to taking on sub-3-hour marathons and smashing personal bests along the way.

You will learn how he trained for marathons and half-marathons while running only three times a week. You will see how you can apply his methods and mindset to your own training regardless of your ability or athletic background.

Morgan has learned from his own experiences but also by borrowing a tried-and-tested mental approach which has improved the lives of elite performers for thousands of years. You will learn how to use this philosophy to start reaching your potential.

Run to Endure follows Morgan from his home county of Cork to travels in Asia and back to training and racing in Ireland. The book is broken into short stories and sections so that they are easy and enjoyable to read but also to ensure that you can focus on the content that is most relevant and effective for you. It is laid out so that you can go straight to the parts that you feel will benefit you the most. They will provide you with the first steps to creating your own mental map in realising your best self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,935 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Any recommended books on Marathon des Sables?

Advertisement