Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Researching laptops online, but can't find same ones in shops?

• 08-08-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I need to buy a new laptop, and I've narrowed down what I want to some degree (in terms of CPU, RAM and hard drive). I went online to a few different places (retrevo.com, which online, cnet) and looked at reviews. The laptops that they review don't seem to be available locally (the item codes are different, and there are SO many of them!) You can see computers with almost the same specs getting quite different reviews. Any advice on how to relate the reviews to the laptops that are actually available to buy?

Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

its possible the sites you are checking could be looking at laptops for other markets (USA, Asia etc) ...and if released in the European/UK/Ireland market - may have different brandname, spec, and/or different product code.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jccf2003

Thanks for that pcphoto - I thought of that alright, at least for the retrevo & cnet sites. "Which" is the UK consumer guide though, so I thought I'd be safe enough with that. Is there any way you can assume that a product code that's separated by a single number is similar? Or take for example the HP Pavilion family of DV7 and DV6 - if I see good reviews for one of the DV7's, can I assume that the rest of the DV7s are good too?
    Thanks again

Advertisement