Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bricking Up the Side Gate for Security

• 08-08-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

I live in an end terrace house and feel very vulnerable to burglaries.

If I brick it up, apart from the nuisance of lugging bins through the house what about home heating oil deliveries.....would that be a problem.

I remember once Morris's Oil lad saying to me that if I wasn't in when he called he would hop over the wall no problem but how many would do that.

Do any mid terrace house's have oil heating...if so I guess the hose is just brought though the house?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

why don't you try a heavy-duty gate with a lock that can only be reached from the inside.
    Blocking up the passage is a bit extreme and technically you'd have to apply for planning permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If Morris's can hop over the wall, so can a burglar? Would it be possible to turn it into an enclosed passageway, would that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Get a good dog. Problem solved. I had NTL coming to fix a problem recently, and the usual thing of where they give you an estimate of the times they are likely to call.

Typically, they call outside these hours, and I arrive home and spot the van outside. My neighbours said the two lads had the cheek to attempt to get over my fence at two different parts of the house, but were sent back by my dogs waiting in the garden.

Another night the Gardai were chasing two lads in another housing estate, who climbed my fence and hid in the garden. Again the dogs found them far quicker than the guards did, and were a lot more scary!

On top of that they are wonderful companions. Even in a small house something like a minature jack russell would be far better than any house alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

danjo-xx wrote: »

I remember once Morris's Oil lad saying to me that if I wasn't in when he called he would hop over the wall no problem but how many would do that.

I don't see how blocking the gate would solve anything, they could still hop over the wall.

How high is the wall. You could increase the height maybe. Probably better just to get a strong gate, and maybe put some obstacles (barbed wire?) on top so people don't climb over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Get a camera system. Youd set one up for 200 euro these days. ship them in from china for far cheaper

No thief is gonna go near a house when they see a couple of these looking at them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

hardybuck wrote: »
    Get a good dog. Problem solved. I had NTL coming to fix a problem recently, and the usual thing of where they give you an estimate of the times they are likely to call.

Typically, they call outside these hours, and I arrive home and spot the van outside. My neighbours said the two lads had the cheek to attempt to get over my fence at two different parts of the house, but were sent back by my dogs waiting in the garden.

Another night the Gardai were chasing two lads in another housing estate, who climbed my fence and hid in the garden. Again the dogs found them far quicker than the guards did, and were a lot more scary!

On top of that they are wonderful companions. Even in a small house something like a minature jack russell would be far better than any house alarm.
    May i suggest a Kerry Blue,great family dog, but god help somebody strange comming over the wall.:pac: :eek: .:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Dogs are all well and good in theory but they dont suit everyones circumstances and/or house.
    They also cost a bit to keep and you need to have some minding facilities available whenever you are away.

Blocking up the gate seems rather extreme - especially when they can get over the wall anyway (which they will do) and considering the amount of hassle that you'll have to put yourself through with access.

A decent locked gate with some form of protection on the top of the wall with a few "fake" security cameras. The real ones, despite the prices are usually usless and are more of a deterent anyway so a decent fake one could do the job.
    Would also put one of those motion sensitive lights in the back yard, but you could get into hassle with it going off with small movement but you can get a good one.

After that, see is there any neighbourhood watch scheme going on around the place. Get to know your neighbours etc......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

thanks lads...its hard to know but there is no ideal solution apart from an ak45:D

Agree with you all that bricking up the side gate is not really helpful...

putting up wire on the wall could be counter productive, making me feel llike a prisoner and neighbours thinking I have something to hide.

Fancy a little dog to be honest even as a pet but don't really know anyone who would mind it when wanting to get away for a few days.

The Lotto is me only hope:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

May i suggest a Kerry Blue,great family dog, but god help somebody strange comming over the wall.:pac: :eek: .:D

Agreed. Say goodbye to your ankles. Ideally you'd have it with a bigger dog, the smaller one always gets the bigger one worked up. If you had the space.

On a side note I heard of someone who had their small dog stolen by our nomadic friends recently, and it was found a couple of days later with its back broken. Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

danjo-xx wrote: »
    thanks lads...its hard to know but there is no ideal solution apart from an ak45:D

Agree with you all that bricking up the side gate is not really helpful...

putting up wire on the wall could be counter productive, making me feel llike a prisoner and neighbours thinking I have something to hide.

Fancy a little dog to be honest even as a pet but don't really know anyone who would mind it when wanting to get away for a few days.

The Lotto is me only hope:D

Find a local 15 year old and give them 50 quid to come down, walk and feed it for the week. Problem sorted

• Advertisement
Advertisement