Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irresponsible journalism

• 08-08-2010 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

After the recent security alert concerning a police officer in Kilkeel and the subsequent reporting,is it just me that has a concern at the level of detail given out.This has included the officers sex,relegion,address and relation to a Republican councillor.Today her name was mentioned.

I can understand the gradual leaking that will happen in this case within a community but to have an officer "outed" like this,in the media, does not make sense.

This officer Im sure has been rehoused but her identity is now in the public domain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Have to agree 100% there . It was my understanding that there was a code of practice in place to prevent this ' outing ' of officers ?
    BBC always blank the faces of officers at crime scenes for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Was shocked...but it's bound to happen. Aleast the Beeb are giving it a fair go, unlike that joke "Sky News" if I hear one more thing about Naomi Campbell's "Blood Diamond" I swear to Christ.

Too true...most times what in I've read/seen in the press they've been smart enough with the publishing of certain details, but the occassional time I've been actually quite angered by level of detail given out. Maybe the press don't have the common sense to realise that with what may seem to them to be a few sparse simple details, it's not too hard to find somebody if you really want to. The PSNI should be on their case for releasing these things I think.

On a side note, the attitude of that womans uncle is simply disgusting :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

On a side note, the attitude of that womans uncle is simply disgusting :mad:

I find his silence to be very disturbing / frightening . His own niece targetted and yet he won't condemn those responsible - then again he did resign from Sinn Fein when they went into the Policing Board - courageous move by his niece to join - full marks.

delancey42 wrote: »
    I find his silence to be very disturbing / frightening . His own niece targetted and yet he won't condemn those responsible - then again he did resign from Sinn Fein when they went into the Policing Board - courageous move by his niece to join - full marks.

I only hope she doesn't let this get in her way and goes on to have a fulfilling career with the PSNI, she is exactly what this wee island and the organisation needs, people who don't let people like him stand in their way of their dreams...respect :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭1986j

I know an ex PSNI officer who was told to leave his area he lived in by a cousin when he joined.

People are idiots. So many people claim to be anti-PSNI etc however when ever things go wrong they always phone the cops.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

1986j wrote: »
    ...however when ever things go wrong they always phone the cops.

...and then refuse to give a statement, or pull it at a later date, leaving us with no case. Very frustrating.

Their loss. If they don't want to co-operate over a matter where they had something done onto them its their own stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭princess deity

1986j wrote: »
    Their loss. If they don't want to co-operate over a matter where they had something done onto them its their own stupidity.

I dont agree with you on that one, sometimes people fear the consequences of following it through, the fear of courts, intimidation etc etc. especially if is a victim of a sexual crime!!!!

We will just have to agree to disagree.

No doubt withing 5 minutes this topic would be totally off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

psni wrote: »
    ...and then refuse to give a statement, or pull it at a later date, leaving us with no case. Very frustrating.

There are calls you're at and you can just tell the statement you are writting is going to be followed a few days later by another saying "i wish Police to take no further action in relation to my complaint".

Oh well, I still have to do the friggen file because you named a suspect!!!

Always tend to be domestics I've found.

Advertisement