Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart.Desire's Football Fun.

Options
  • 08-08-2010 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hello everyone!

I'm new to Boards, and I'm also new to gambling. I've never placed a bet before, but with the new football season just underway, now is as good a time as any to start.

I'll be betting mainly on football, with the odd bet on other sports being thrown in every now and again. I'll bet on any league or competition, but my main bets will probably on English football.

I'll try my best to go about things the right way, and I'll try and post my reasoning for my bets as often as possible.

I'm going to start off with a bank of 15 points, and I'll try to build that up as best I can.

I'm open to tips and suggestions. In fact, I'd love to hear from you. Whether it be a tip, feedback on my bets, or if you want to ask any questions, don't hesitate in posting.

That's all for now, I'll see you guys around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Welcome and Best of luck with the log :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Best of luck with it and you find plenty of helpful tips and suggestions in the Football Betting subcategory, and you'll soon find who's bets to watch out for and who's bets to not follow. I would be the latter.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Heart.Desire

English League Cup:
    • Stevenage vs. Portsmouth. DNB. - 9 Points @ 4/7 (Paddy Power)

My first bet of the new football season is tonight's Carling Cup clash between minnows Stevenage Borough and struggling Portsmouth at Broadhall Way. I was going to go for a straight Portsmouth win today, but after taking a few things into consideration, I've gone with Portsmouth DNB - just to be safe.

Despite having just been promoted from non-league football, Stevenage are in with a shout tonight, against a Portsmouth side who would best be described as a shambles. With only fifteen players named in their matchday squad for their season openor against Coventry on Saturday, Portsmouth a experiencing severe problems both on and off the pitch. With many backing Pompey to get relegated from the Championship this year, and after suffering a 2-0 defeat to the Sky Blues last weekend, the future does not look bright for Portsmouth.

In saying that though, Stevenage are new-boys in League Two, the lowest tier of the Football League. They are just after drawing, luckily by all accounts, 2-2 against Macclesfield Town, needing a late equaliser to secure a point.

Even with all of Portsmouth's problems, I still think there is a sizeable gulf in class between the two sides. I can assure you Portsmouth will take this tie seriously, given that they need every penny they can get. So, it's Portsmouth DNB for me. Do you agree?

English League Cup:
      Aldershot vs.
    Watford - 11 Points @ 10/11 (Paddy Power)

My first of tonight's two bets is on the Carling Cup tie between Aldershot Town and Watford at the Recreation Ground. Championship side Watford are coming into this match after a respectable 3-2 win against Championship newboys Watford on Friday. Meanwhile, Aldershot drew 0-0 away to Accrington Stanley. Who are they? Exactly. (Sorry, I had to).

Watford were evens yesterday, so I'm disappointed that I didn't place my bet then. There's not much of a difference though, with Watford at 10/11 now. I do have my worries though, with Watford needing extra-time to beat Barnet last year, and after being dumped out of the competition by Southend a few years back. However, Watford have not lost a first round match since 2002, and Watford haven't lost a game against fourth-tier opposition since 1998, going eleven games unbeaten since. Aldershot are also without a win in their last eight League Cup matches.

Saying that, stats are there to be changed. I think the gulf in class between the Championship and League Two will show tonight, and that should see Watford through.

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Best of luck with the log mate, good write ups and a good first bet. I fancy Watford big time tonight too, hope it wins for you.

• Advertisement

English League Cup:
    • Norwich vs. Gillingham. @ 4/9.
    • Exeter vs. Ipswich @ 1/3.
    • Scunthorpe vs. Oldham @ 3/4.
    • Leeds vs. Lincoln. @ 4/5.

5 Points @ 6.58/1 (Paddy Power)

I've no particular reasoning here, apart from the fact that I think they'll win. I was impressed with Ipswich and Scunthorpe and the weekend with opening day victories against Middlesborough and Reading respectively. Leeds and Norwich will both want to give their home fans something to shout about after both suffered defeats last weekend.

x PyRo wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log mate, good write ups and a good first bet. I fancy Watford big time tonight too, hope it wins for you.

Thanks Pyro! I've been keeping a close eye on your log, you seem to know your stuff. Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭colly54

English League Cup:
    • Norwich vs. Gillingham. @ 4/9.
    • Exeter vs. Ipswich @ 1/3.
    • Scunthorpe vs. Oldham @ 3/4.
    • Leeds vs. Lincoln. @ 4/5.

5 Points @ 6.58/1 (Paddy Power)

I've no particular reasoning here, apart from the fact that I think they'll win. I was impressed with Ipswich and Scunthorpe and the weekend with opening day victories against Middlesborough and Reading respectively. Leeds and Norwich will both want to give their home fans something to shout about after both suffered defeats last weekend.

Ipswich are 5/4 in paddy's, leeds 2/7, scunthorpe 8/11 ??

Main bet looking good: Watford 1-0 up. Leeds 2-0 up already, but Norwich are losing.

Update: Norwich now 2-1 up, Leeds 3-0 up, but Scunthorpe 1-0 down.

Update: Given up on the accumulator: Ipswich and Scunthorpe 1-0 down. Watford are winning 3-0, so my main bets looking good.

Update: Or not, game on. Ipswich and Scunthorpe both 1-1 now.

Final Update: Ah, Ipswich let me down in the end - winning 3-2 in extra-time. Watford won though.
    colly54 wrote: »
    Ipswich are 5/4 in paddy's, leeds 2/7, scunthorpe 8/11 ??

Not when I placed my bet anyway.

Ipswich let me down earlier, but I've had a decent start nonetheless.

Bank - 25.14 Points (+10.14 Points)

Bets - 3
    Wins - 2
    SR - 66%
    Staked - 25 Points.
    Returned - 35.14 Points.

• Advertisement

Gone for Cardiff -1 - will update tomorrow.

Argentina to to be winning at half-time or full-time - will update tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

whats your stake for the above bets???

coughlan08 wrote: »
    whats your stake for the above bets???

11 Points on Cardiff, and 15 Points on Argentina.

Advertisement