Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to piss a shop assistant off...

• 09-08-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Just to give boardsies some methods of getting on the nerves of shopworkers (of which I am one) throughout Ireland:

[feel free to add to the list]

- Throw money on the counter, even if my receiving hand is fully extended
    - Mumble what you want only not to be understood, then accuse me of not speaking English
    - Stand there like an idiot even when I'm clearly trying to clean-up/walk past/ close the shop
    - Asking silly questions like "How much is the 6.50 carwash?" and "Are all your papers gone?" - No, we just sell invisible ones.
    - Buy one scratch card at a time, causing a queue to build-up
    - Looking at me angrily from a queue when I'm clearly on my lunch-break
    - Give us a fistful of change with compliments of pubic hair and pocket fluff
    - Start poking your Laser/Visa card at random angles toward the machine, even when clearly shown where to put it.
    - Asking "Are you closed?" when we're halfway out the door with lock-and-key in hand
    - Most people also STINK. Is it really asking much for you to wash your clothes and body at frequent occasions. It's especially revolting when the smell is transferred to the money (but a laugh is had at giving it to the next customer ha ha!)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

The Agogo wrote: »
    - Most people also STINK. Is it really asking much for you to wash your clothes and body at frequent occasions. It's especially revolting when the smell is transferred to the money (but a laugh is had at giving it to the next customer ha ha!)

Every fox smells his own hole....:pac:

ie. - It's you that smells, sweaty pits after a long shift. UGHHHH....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

Just to give boardsies some methods of getting on the nerves of shopworkers (of which I am one) throughout Ireland:

- Throw money on the counter, even if my receiving hand is fully extended
    - Mumble what you want only not to be understood, then accuse me of not speaking English
    - Stand there like an idiot even when I'm clearly trying to clean-up/walk past/ close the shop
    - Asking silly questions like "How much is the 6.50 carwash?" and "Are all your papers gone?" - No, we just sell invisible ones.
    - Looking at me angrily from a queue when I'm clearly on my lunch-break
    - Start poking your Laser/Visa card at random angles toward the machine, even when clearly shown where to put it.
    - Asking "Are you closed?" when we're halfway out the door with lock-and-key in hand

all of the above warrant a punch in the face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Stop being a whingebag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Thanks OP I will try them all tomorrow or in a few days when I have build up a pungent BO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Make me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

People are retarded. Thats a given and the main reason I dislike them so much.

I shudder to think whats going to happen when the general populace engages its grey matter. When this happens the world is totally f*cked.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

Asking is there any hot chicken left, even tho, both the hot and cold counter are closed:mad:

Scratching scratch cards at the till:mad:

Old people...not all of them but most of them:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

leedsfan88 wrote: »
    Asking is there any hot chicken left, even tho, both the hot and cold counter are closed:mad:

Scratching scratch cards at the till:mad:

Old people...not all of them but most of them:rolleyes:

No, all of them. Young people too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Eww

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Dear shop assistant, I hate Shop assistants, why can't you work a bit faster and get through the q. Why dont you ever say please and thank you? Why do you insist on trying to sell us plastic bags when we dont need them? Why dont your employers hire hot broads to serve us? Why dont you make an effort to smile at your customers? Why do you always look like you hate your job? Why dont you try and look some bit presentable? Why do you take so long to turn on the ptrol pumps when its raining outside? Why don't you wear hair nets when making my ham salad roll ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The Agogo;67349064]Just to give boardsies some methods of getting on the nerves of shopworkers (of which I am one) throughout Ireland:

- Throw money on the counter, even if my receiving hand is fully extended Make customer throw money on the counter by giving the attitude you dont want to serve them

Dont attempt to make conversation or seem polite that way you leave the customer to believe you could not be bothered.

Clean up the shop like an idot because your in a hurry to the pub afterwards makeing your customers feel like an idot for being in the way

Barate your customers for asking a question just because they do not know how to actually approch you and simply say."I want a car wash" or is there a chance you kept a paper back somewhere

Make your customer feel pissed off by barateing them for queing up

Ah fcuk this.... if you dont like your customers join the dole que...someone else will be happy to take the job

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Dear shop assistant, I hate Shop assistants, why can't you work a bit faster and get through the q. Why dont you ever say please and thank you? Why do you insist on trying to sell us plastic bags when we dont need them? Why dont your employers hire hot broads to serve us? Why dont you make an effort to smile at your customers? Why do you always look like you hate your job? Why dont you try and look some bit presentable? Why do you take so long to turn on the ptrol pumps when its raining outside? Why don't you wear hair nets when making my ham salad roll ?

Chill man , I recommend you send someone else to the shop for the next few days.

The Agogo;67349064]Just to give boardsies some methods of getting on the nerves of shopworkers (of which I am one) throughout Ireland:

- Throw money on the counter, even if my receiving hand is fully extended Make customer throw money on the counter by giving the attitude you dont want to serve them

Dont attempt to make conversation or seem polite that way you leave the customer to believe you could not be bothered.

Clean up the shop like an idot because your in a hurry to the pub afterwards makeing your customers feel like an idot for being in the way

Barate your customers for asking a question just because they do not know how to actually approch you and simply say."I want a car wash" or is there a chance you kept a paper back somewhere

Ah fcuk this.... if you dont like your customers join the dole que...someone else will be happy to take the job

Obviously, I can't speak for the majority of shopkeeps, but I try my best (hence why I vent my anger on AH). But you're right. Some of my coworkers project these traits. I think the three 100% scores I got from mystery shoppers proves my willingness to bite my tongue and just get on with it when I'm in work.

RE: "Join the dole queue" - If i did that the business would close and six other workers would follow me onto it

Kasabian wrote: »
    Chill man , I recommend you send someone else to the shop for the next few days.

Oh right its ok for shop assistants to have their pet hates re customers but not ok the other way round :rolleyes:

Oh right its ok for shop assistants to have their pet hates re customers but not ok the other way round :rolleyes:

See your getting worked up again. Chill it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

Well working in a shop isn't any fun, and the majority of customers are grand but there is a minority that are ignorant and just make your job even more difficult.

With regards to joining the dole, no thanks i have a job and don't feel right leeching off the state, like a few people who won't work behind a bar because they have a college degree, so i'll just stay on the dole for 2 years:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

- Let your kids act like twats. Yes, your kids.

- Shur while you're at it, avail of the free babysitting/ amusement service we can't help but provide for your horrible children. We'll be here all day, why should you? Go on to the cinema there, it'll be fine.

- Remember it's our fault you bought the wrong thing. We should have known!

- Be sure to be as passive-aggressive as possible at all stages of the transaction, particularly if it's in no way warranted.

- That queue that's lined up towards the counter doesn't apply to you. You get to come right up to the counter! Just walk right in front of all those people and ask your stupid question. No of course it doesn't matter that they'll eat the f*cking head off us immediately afterwards, you'll be gone by then!

- It's definitely fine to ignore the other people queuing and interrupt whatever we're doing if it's just a question. Hang on until I check the computer and go to the store and check the stocks and ring the other stores to answer it. It doesn't count as an interruption if it's just a question.

- No, we don't accept cheques, war bonds, IOU's or the official state currency of Sealand, but by all means insist that we should and do and have to. Don't worry about having it ready at any point until it's absolutely necessary or anything, it's grand.

- That big "OVER 18S ONLY" rating on the game box doesn't count if it's your under 18 year old kid, and you told him he could have it when you went to the shoe shop. I might lose my job if I sell it to him, but don't you bother your head about it. I wouldn't want to eat into your precious shopping time by forcing you to parent or anything.

-Then again, if I do sell it to him, make sure and let Joe Duffy know. It's probably turned little Jimmy into a rapist or something. You're not sure though, you haven't seen little Jimmy today.

- Let your kids act like twats. Yes, your kids.

- Shur while you're at it, avail of the free babysitting/ amusement service we can't help but provide for your horrible children. We'll be here all day, why should you? Go on to the cinema there, it'll be fine.

- Remember it's our fault you bought the wrong thing. We should have known!

- Be sure to be as passive-aggressive as possible at all stages of the transaction, particularly if it's in no way warranted.

- That queue that's lined up towards the counter doesn't apply to you. You get to come right up to the counter! Just walk right in front of all those people and ask your stupid question. No of course it doesn't matter that they'll eat the f*cking head off us immediately afterwards, you'll be gone by then!

- It's definitely fine to ignore the other people queuing and interrupt whatever we're doing if it's just a question. Hang on until I check the computer and go to the store and check the stocks and ring the other stores to answer it. It doesn't count as an interruption if it's just a question.

- No, we don't accept cheques, war bonds, IOU's or the official state currency of Sealand, but by all means insist that we should and do and have to. Don't worry about having it ready at any point until it's absolutely necessary or anything, it's grand.

- That big "OVER 18S ONLY" rating on the game box doesn't count if it's your under 18 year old kid, and you told him he could have it when you went to the shoe shop. I might lose my job if I sell it to him, but don't you bother your head about it. I wouldn't want to eat into your precious shopping time by forcing you to parent or anything.

-Then again, if I do sell it to him, make sure and let Joe Duffy know. It's probably turned little Jimmy into a rapist or something. You're not sure though, you haven't seen little Jimmy today.

Are you mad ?

See your getting worked up again. Chill it's not worth it.

I do get worked up over it because i see it in the majority of places i go to !! If you are good enough to go and give an establishment your custom then i think they should make an effort to show you a bit of gratitude. Your spending hard earned money in these places and most of the time you can't knock a smile from them !!

Only with righteous Retail Rage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Is it to much to ask to return my change into my hand as opposed to dropping it on the counter, after all i handed you my money.

- Old people, remember: it's alright for you to be racist and unbelieveably rude to everybody you come into contact with. You've earned it! You're old!

skelliser wrote: »
    Is it to much to ask to return my change into my hand as opposed to dropping it on the counter, after all i handed you my money.

That works two ways. I hate customer AND retailer for doing it.

I'd also like to add price-complaint to the list. The amount of abuse I get for prices is unbelievable "I could get this in Dunnes for €x!" WELL THEN GO TO ****ING DUNNES!

skelliser wrote: »

No, it's not too much to ask at all.

Retailers and customers alike, let's agree on this for once and for all. Money into hands, everybody! Money into hands!

Retailers and customers alike, let's agree on this for once and for all. Money into hands, everybody! Money into hands!

Agreed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i'd have you sacked,i really would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

When people who come in every few months and go "i'll have my regular" eh i have no idea who you are or what sort of beverage you prefer so you may have to tell me!?
    bitch.

I used to have a customer who would occasionally bump into me on on my days off to ask me long, detailed questions about products we sold that I couldn't possibly answer without being able to check the stock and pricing on the computer. She wasn't rude about it, so I would answer her as best I could, but God, it was incredibly frustrating.

I had to hide from her more than once, I remember seeing her in Penneys once and what followed was a scene not unlike the Largest Lingerie Section In Ireland bit from Father Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Throw down a few hundred coppers on the counter when there is a big queue of people behind you. From personal experience the person behind the till shall not be happy :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

...or the official state currency of Sealand...

Brilliant. I love that place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I had one occasion where I wanted the person to put her change on the counter. It was a younger(teens/20ish) woman of the traveling kind who you wouldn't want to touch for fear of the makeup/false tan/possible dirt coming off onto you and she took her money(which was all coins) out of her bra! I made her put it on the counter and the manager (who didn't see where she got it from) picked it up(he was waiting to take off the till)

With that in mind being handed/thrown moist, wet or sticky money is always horrible.

And when you walk into a shop just as it's about to close, go to buy something that costs €10+ and then take out money bags that are filled with coppers and empty them onto the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Throw down a few hundred coppers on the counter when there is a big queue of people behind you. From personal experience the person behind the till shall not be happy :mad:

Remember doing this buying a six pack in tesco and lost count half way through counting the coppers, man behind the counter wasn't impressed at all :)

Orla K wrote: »
    I had one occasion where I wanted the person to put her change on the counter. It was a younger(teens/20ish) woman of the traveling kind who you wouldn't want to touch for fear of the makeup/false tan/possible dirt coming off onto you and she took her money(which was all coins) out of her bra! I made her put it on the counter and the manager (who didn't see where she got it from) picked it up(he was waiting to take off the till)

With that in mind being handed/thrown moist, wet or sticky money is always horrible.

And when you walk into a shop just as it's about to close, go to buy something that costs €10+ and then take out money bags that are filled with coppers and empty them onto the counter.

Ahh the ole sweaty traveller diddy money,,,,,,, it cant get much worse than that:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

i used to work at the petrol pumps (shop aswell, but only sometimes). i hate when:

-you ask people are they ok and you get back a mumble sounding something like, 'twenty', and rolling up the window again. then when i get the money from them, they just slide it out the small space and drive off without a 'thanks.

-when you serve people and they stand beside you watching you constantly, making sure you dont fcuk up what your doing. fill it yourself while your standing there, i could be doing something else!

-saying 'good/bad weather we are having' 50 times a day, while they watch you.

-people (2 seperate men would do this regularly) espically that would stand there beside the car and wait for you to come over, even if you were busy at another car/wash/tills/etc. oh and people that look for tissue to clean their hands after filling petrol/diesel.

-people that completley ignore you when you wash their cars, they dont even say thanks when your doing it in the rain! god forbid they might get wet rolling down the window.

although one person came in during a thunder and lightening storm for a wash and everyone just stood there watching them. who's going to stand there in a lightening storm beside a car, holding a metal lance?:rolleyes:

ahh, that feels better:p

clarke1991 wrote: »
    i used to work at the petrol pumps (shop aswell, but only sometimes). i hate when:

-you ask people are they ok and you get back a mumble sounding something like, 'twenty', and rolling up the window again. then when i get the money from them, they just slide it out the small space and drive off without a 'thanks.

-when you serve people and they stand beside you watching you constantly, making sure you dont fcuk up what your doing. fill it yourself while your standing there, i could be doing something else!

-saying 'good/bad weather we are having' 50 times a day, while they watch you.

-people (2 seperate men would do this regularly) espically that would stand there beside the car and wait for you to come over, even if you were busy at another car/wash/tills/etc. oh and people that look for tissue to clean their hands after filling petrol/diesel.

-people that completley ignore you when you wash their cars, they dont even say thanks when your doing it in the rain! god forbid they might get wet rolling down the window.

although one person came in during a thunder and lightening storm for a wash and everyone just stood there watching them. who's going to stand there in a lightening storm beside a car, holding a metal lance?:rolleyes:

ahh, that feels better:p

You get paid to do it dont you ???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Obviously, I can't speak for the majority of shopkeeps, but I try my best (hence why I vent my anger on AH). But you're right. Some of my coworkers project these traits. I think the three 100% scores I got from mystery shoppers proves my willingness to bite my tongue and just get on with it when I'm in work.

RE: "Join the dole queue" - If i did that the business would close and six other workers would follow me onto it

1) congratz, mystery shopper scored you 100% three times, major life achievement there. Make sure to notify your biographer.
    2) You seriously think that if you left, the shop would close? It would not. They would just hire somebody else to do the job and it would be fine. The job is not complicated, most anybody could do it. Too many bottom-level employees think that they are the sh1t, when in reality they are utterly replaceable.
    3) [oblig AH response] Vent your anger on yer moh' like a normal man instead of on some fag interneh forum :pac::pac:

Remember doing this buying a six pack in tesco and lost count half way through counting the coppers, man behind the counter wasn't impressed at all :)

I hope somebody gave that beer a good shake before you picked it up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah, a fuel injection engineer :cool:
    oh and people that look for tissue to clean their hands after filling petrol/diesel.

What is the problem with this? :confused:
    A lot of stations even had a paper towel dispenser on the forecourt. I've used it and so do lots of people

el judìo wrote: »
    1) congratz, mystery shopper scored you 100% three times, major life achievement there. Make sure to notify your biographer.

I should pin them to my chest from now on.
    2) You seriously think that if you left, the shop would close? It would not. They would just hire somebody else to do the job and it would be fine. The job is not complicated, most anybody could do it. Too many bottom-level employees think that they are the sh1t, when in reality they are utterly replaceable.
    3) [oblig AH response] Vent your anger on yer moh' like a normal man instead of on some fag interneh forum :pac::pac:

I just said all that for dramatic effect. I am the sh1t though.

You get paid to do it dont you ???????

This attitude drives me mad. We're paid to facilitate your transaction on behalf of our employer. They get your money, you get your goods/services. That's fine.

We are not paid to take abuse from you because your day is bad or you can't bothered. It is not my job to make you feel better about your place in the world by playing whipping boy. That is not our function, and you shouldn't expect us to take it. We probably will, because we probably have to, but that doesn't make it alright.

Courtesy costs nothing, and not showing the slightest bit of it to somebody just because "they work here" is testament to poor character. I am no less deserving of a minimum degree of basic decency than anybody else. I love my job, but the sheer rudeness that otherwise normal, functional people exhibit to retail staff - consciously and unconsciously, and on a daily basis - defies belief sometimes.

• Advertisement

Ah, a fuel injection engineer :cool:

What is the problem with this? :confused:
    A lot of stations even had a paper towel dispenser on the forecourt. I've used it and so do lots of people
    fuel injection engineer, i ment to say that:D, safistmicated:p!

oh you just find it annoying when your covered in sh!te after walking in and out a billion times a day, nothing personal :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

This attitude drives me mad. We're paid to facilitate your transaction on behalf of our employer. They get your money, you get your goods/services. That's fine.

We are not paid to take abuse from you because your day is bad or you can't bothered. It is not my job to make you feel better about your place in the world by playing whipping boy. That is not our function, and you shouldn't expect us to take it. We probably will, because we probably have to, but that doesn't make it alright.

Courtesy costs nothing, and not showing the slightest bit of it to somebody just because "they work here" is testament to poor character. I am no less deserving of a minimum degree of basic decency than anybody else. I love my job, but the sheer rudeness that otherwise normal, functional people exhibit to retail staff - consciously and unconsciously, and on a daily basis - defies belief sometimes.

You + Me = Complete

well done vallentine:)! yeah i also hate that attitude! one day i asked a fella was he ok, and... wait for it!!!! he said: can't you see im on the fcuking phone(he was holding it on the oppesite side to me)! and started shouting and actually beeping at me! while HE was telling ME to be quiet! it was unbelieveable! beeping! on the fourcourt! gave him a dirty look whenever i seen him after that;)

well done vallentine:)! yeah i also hate that attitude! one day i asked a fella was he ok, and... wait for it!!!! he said: can't you see im on the fcuking phone(he was holding it on the oppesite side to me)! and started shouting and actually beeping at me! while HE was telling ME to be quiet! it was unbelieveable! beeping! on the fourcourt! gave him a dirty look whenever i seen him after that;)

I would have thrown a gallon of petrol on him and lit him up.

Lets have a little experiment tomorrow.

Any one who is posting in this thread that works in the service industry be uber-nice to all your customers tomorrow.

Anyone who is a customer complaining on this thread also be uber nice tomorrow to our fellow boardsies who work in the service industry.

Let's employ a code word that can be used to ensure a wonderful transaction experience for boardsies . Use it like a loyalty card.
    Anyone not using the word is fair game.

Any suggestions on the code word?

Lets have a little experiment tomorrow.

Any one who is posting in this thread that works in the service industry be uber-nice to all your customers tomorrow.

Anyone who is a customer complaining on this thread also be uber nice tomorrow to our fellow boardsies who work in the service industry.

Let's employ a code word that can be used to ensure a wonderful transaction experience for boardsies . Use it like a loyalty card.
    Anyone not using the word is fair game.

Any suggestions on the code word?

I like this idea. Make it something you might just use in a conversation, but is distinctive.

Ooh, it'll be like Fight Club. With less uriney soup, one hopes.

'that'll do' ??:eek:

I like this idea. Make it something you might just use in a conversation, but is distinctive.

Ooh, it'll be like Fight Club. With less uriney soup, one hopes.

Is there a Jill Valentine working here ?

What are the chances :pac:

I'd love to let you, because the idea of people asking every shop assistant in Dublin if they're the Jill_Valentine appeals to my anarchic streak, but alas... I'm off tomorrow. :p

I'd love to let you, because the idea of people asking every shop assistant in Dublin if they're the Jill_Valentine appeals to my anarchic streak, but alas... I'm off tomorrow. :p

Lets use it as the codeword , only boardsies will know what it's about , chances are there are very few Jill Valentines out there. So the person isn't going to start shouting across Tesco to Jill that someones looking for her at the till. Would be fcuking funny though.

You don't have to say your the Jill Valentine from boards.:) ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement