Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to piss a shop assistant off...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

fontanalis wrote: »
    How's life working in NASA?

dont work in NASA it just pisses me off when people that work dealing with people moan like hell about them when alot of people that work in shops or whatever are ignorant fooks and dont realise they're is 2 serve people and help them.

not rocket science is it.

i cant stand seeing rude people in shops and always say please and thanks but you's are dealing with the public so its part of ur job 2 deal with the rude fooks aswell as pleasant chaps like meself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Op, you're working a low skill job that merely requires your presence and a smile. Putting up with customer's shlte is part of the job description and even at that, the things you've listed are nothing compared to the deadlines, stress and overtime involved in other jobs.

I know that. I've worked in other sectors and it can get a hell of a lot worse.

But your mentality ("low-skill job" worker) seems to give you the right to treat us like sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Wear a pair of Marigolds and hand em a pile of horse-sh1t covered coins, then ask them to make sure you've given em the right amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Putting up with customer's shlte is part of the job description

No, it is absolutely not. I think I've already ranted about this to an adequate degree, but the fact that I am working behind a counter does not make me the offically designated focal point for whatever bad attitude baggage you or anybody else happen to be lugging around that day.

My job is to answer your questions and sell you what you require. I like my job. I like the products we sell, and I like answering questions about them, so I'm more than happy to do this. My job is not to stand there like a sap and offer you a consequence-free opportunity to flex your bad manners in public, however. Just because we both know I can't respond in kind does not give anybody license to treat me or their fellow customers badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

4.50 for hot chocolate and 5 euros for cake.

At those prices I'd be angry too
    5 euro? Realy?

Yeah, but you'd calm down a bit once you had hot chocolate and cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Op, you're working a low skill job that merely requires your presence and a smile. Putting up with customer's shlte is part of the job description and even at that, the things you've listed are nothing compared to the deadlines, stress and overtime involved in other jobs.

I think you're doing a disservice to retail workers by being so dismissive of the people who serve you in shops, but your post neatly illustrates the type of ignorance faced by retail workers on a daily basis so thanks, I guess. :)

I worked in retail during school and college. I am thankfully now a degree-educated professional and can say that, in my experience at least, most 'professions' don't hold a candle in terms of stress, workload and general hassle suffered by those unfortunate enough to be stuck in the retail trade.

In the job I have now I:
    • make good money;
    • can make a coffee or take a break whenever I like;
    • deal for the most part with level-headed, intelligent people;
    • have a comfy chair in a warm cosy office;
    • actually enjoy the occasional bit of stimulating work or conversation with my colleagues; and
    • have people to take care of the more boring aspects of my job for me.

In my old retail job I:
    • made minimum wage;
    • got to take an unpaid break fitted around everyone else's schedule and eat deli counter "food";
    • encountered verbal abuse almost daily and was regularly threatened with physical abuse;
    • worked in draughty stores, a depressing shop or outside in the pissing rain;
    • dealt with mouth-breathing morons every day; and
    • spent the whole day stressed out from a combination of all the above plus the need to be constantly alert for shoplifters.

So I'll let boardsies decide for themselves which job is more difficult.

The most difficult were those who were obviously so inadequate and unhappy with their lives that about the only person they could find to assert their 'superiority' over was a shop assistant who was unfortunately contrained by their job from putting them firmly back in their box. I wonder whether the same principle holds true for those ranting about shop assistants on this thread :).

The Agogo wrote: »
    I know that. I've worked in other sectors and it can get a hell of a lot worse.

But your mentality ("low-skill job" worker) seems to give you the right to treat us like sh1te.

It's not a mentality.. It's a fact. :confused:

And I'm sound to everyone who works in shops/pubs because I've done it before myself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I have an office job with "deadlines and stress" right now and its piss easy compared to working in the retail environment, right now I can get coffee when I like, surf boards all day between calls, my phone is on my desk beside me, and I sit down all day. When I worked in retail it was 8 hours of standing at a till or lugging boxes of dvds up and down 3 flights of stairs. Our standard delivery size at Christmas time was over 100 boxes of stock at times, most of them were large enough that you could only carry one at a time, do the math. Office workers have a piss easy job most of the time where we complain about politics and deadlines, but I'd never go back to working in retail again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

anyone ever gone into the esso station outside dunshaughlin on the dublin road???????????..
    how do they get away with it???????? i mean is it too much to ask for a please, thank you or even eye contact instead of looking out the window..rudest staff ever.... I MEAN EVER....

• Advertisement

I think a lot of people who look down on retail staff have never done similar.
    I've not worked in shops but did barwork so the abuse staff get.
    So I wouldn't dream of doing it to staff. If I did have an complaint, just explain it clearly and it'll be sorted.

Sorry for the stereotype.
    In my experience my worst customers were the well to do, middle class, middle aged women.
    Always looking down on me
    "Did you need a college degree to get that job?" she sneers to college student working through college. She hasn't worked since she got married twenty years ago and is out spending her husbands money.

The rich people and we had a few millionaires were lovely. Most ordinary people (like me and you) were great.

Rich people don't look down on you, it's people who think they are rich.
    Middle aged women meeting for "coffee with the girls" then going shopping and spending their husbands money.
    Yeah I served them in my hotel and they made me feel like dirt :(:mad:

I too have an office job with deadlines and stress.
    Dead easy comparing to carrying crates of Bulmers up from the cellar, sweat pouring from my face and working 15 shifts which finish with mopping up vomit in hotel toilets. Never again

I just said it's a low skilled job and dealing with people is inevitably gonna land you with a few dickheads. It's a part of the job if you're dealing with the public. To start threads whinging about what are in fact trivial annoyances is ridiculous.

wrote:
    Yeah I served them in my hotel and they made me feel like dirt

If that happens to me i always imagine them being made to jump up and down naked haha makes me feel better :D:D

Not to contribute to stereotype but-
    In my experience my worst customers were the well to do, middle class, middle aged women.
    "Did you need a college degree to get that job?" she sneers to college student working through college.

I would absolutely agree with this. Entitled middle-class yummy mummies have an awful tendency to go into a transaction as if they've already been aggrieved. And by God, they want you to know where you sit on the food chain. It's the strangest thing, and I do not understand it.

I think a lot of people who look down on retail staff have never done similar.
    I've not worked in shops but did barwork so the abuse staff get.
    So I wouldn't dream of doing it to staff. If I did have an complaint, just explain it clearly and it'll be sorted.

Sorry for the stereotype.
    "Did you need a college degree to get that job?" she sneers to college student working through college. She hasn't worked since she got married twenty years ago and is out spending her husbands money.

The rich people and we had a few millionaires were lovely. Most ordinary people (like me and you) were great.

Rich people don't look down on you, it's people who think they are rich.
    Middle aged women meeting for "coffee with the girls" then going shopping and spending their husbands money.
    Yeah I served them in my hotel and they made me feel like dirt :(:mad:

I too have an office job with deadlines and stress.
    Dead easy comparing to carrying crates of Bulmers up from the cellar, sweat pouring from my face and working 15 shifts which finish with mopping up vomit in hotel toilets. Never again

Totally agree with that. The middle aged, middle class women are the worst. When I was working in a hotel in New York, I had this awful woman come to check out with her teenage daughter, telling me about all the stuff they'd bought in New York etc, she was really condescending, she said I seemed bright (because I remembered her name and room number :rolleyes:) and asked if I'd considered doing a diploma or something. Eventually she started boasting about how amazing her daughter was, and told me she'd got a place in Trinity for October. I said 'oh brilliant! I just graduated from there!' The look on her face was priceless.

And by God, they want you to know where you sit on the food chain. It's the strangest thing, and I do not understand it.

As the value of their home went up, they found it easier to look down on others ;)
    Hopefully one thing that will change with the recession.

Driving fantastic cars and SUV's that will lose tens of thousands in deprecation and then abusing staff in a hotel over the price of a cup of coffee.

Penny rich, pound foolish? :confused:

Edit, it's fine to question something if it's expensive. But the student behind the bar isn't the person to talk to, ask for a manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

What used to really annoy me in shops was women who would stand in a queue for 5 minutes then wait till they're at the till to dig into their bag for their purse and count the money out, then they'd hold the long queue even longer as they fumbled around putting their money back into their purse etc etc etc I'm glad I don't work in retail anymore...

This is just insane, I'm waiting there for 10 f88king minutes. Why can't I make everyone else wait like I've had to wait.

If I turned around and put my change in my purse and realised you'd given me the wrong change what then? That a 10 min spot check of your till.

Awear for example have a monitor behind the till with a fashion show on it. So times I might get distracted with all the retail buy me stuff all over the place while I'm in the queue and not have the money ready.

And how the hell do I know how much it costs until you tell me. I also look at the screen during the transaction for the customer to make sure i got the bargin I went for (that is if there is one available, Tescos for example - I can't see the price of the stuff going through so I have to check my receipt after instead)

Basically your saying: I've got your money so Fxxk off now fast so I can get someone elses asap. Great service! Don't forget profits go to the big wigs.

I just said it's a low skilled job and dealing with people is inevitably gonna land you with a few dickheads. It's a part of the job if you're dealing with the public. To start threads whinging about what are in fact trivial annoyances is ridiculous.

But that's what AH is for :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Not to contribute to stereotype but-

I would absolutely agree with this. Entitled middle-class yummy mummies have an awful tendency to go into a transaction as if they've already been aggrieved. And by God, they want you to know where you sit on the food chain. It's the strangest thing, and I do not understand it.

This.

When I worked retail, well to do mothers were the worst, with inflated senses of their own self worth. I had one who ordered me to go around the shop with her, pushing her trolley and getting stuff off the shelves for her.

I contributed to Notalwaysright.com a lot in those days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Dear shop assistant, I hate Shop assistants, why can't you work a bit faster and get through the q. Why dont you ever say please and thank you? Why do you insist on trying to sell us plastic bags when we dont need them? Why dont your employers hire hot broads to serve us? Why dont you make an effort to smile at your customers? Why do you always look like you hate your job? Why dont you try and look some bit presentable? Why do you take so long to turn on the ptrol pumps when its raining outside? Why don't you wear hair nets when making my ham salad roll ?

iv worked in three very busy shops !iv worked in a new agents , a hight street fashion retailer , and a perfume shop. its very hard trying to serve some people that are ignorant and ask questions when your serving them nd expect you to jump and help them > its not the sales assistant fault in most case's!!!

im taking the side of the sales assistant's of the world :) and when i know a customer is deliberately being smart i dont get back at them i get even in the proper decent way , as in taking my time etc things like that , if someones going to be ignorant when im trying to help them ill treat them the way they treat me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

How to piss a hotel waitress off;

1 Complain about the amount of milk on the table. Sure there isn't enough in one pot, even though you haven't managed to use that up yet, by all means demand another pot all the time acting like I personally have decided to withhold all extra milk.

2 Ask "What do you call this?" if the food isn't what you wanted. Well I would call it food, but of course you can be a smart arse in front of all your friends while they laugh at you showing the staff who is boss...Im not he one who didn't read the menu properly.. OH and if you change your mind about what you want when they bring it out, just pretend the staff got your order wrong!!

3 Proposition the (muchhh younger/borderline underage) staff. When they refuse to "pop up to room %%%% later on *wink*", report them to the manager/supervisor for taking your money as a 'tip' without your consent. Cause a lot of hassle until propositioned staff are proved innocent by interviews with other staff, and then admit you "may have got a bit confused".

So much but this'll do for now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

It's not trivial if you're dealing with it every working day, it's incredibly stressful. Just because it's a low skilled job doesn't mean that you should have to put up with whatever crap people decide to throw your way, there's a basic level of respect that we should all adhere to when dealing with others (both shop assistants and customers alike) but the fact remains that when dealing with the public you often find that many people just don't have any awareness of that.

i worked retail for 2 1/2 years and it was one of the most stressful times of my life, not only was i dealing with rude & disrespectful people on a daily basis but the shop owners were often a nightmare to deal with, not to mention the fact that in winter the place was so cold the skin on my hands cracked and bled. i was always polite to customers but i can sort of understand why someone would get worn down and lose the smiley face eventually.

OP to add to your list of how to p*ss off a shop assistant i'll add: give out for ages to them about the price of something but when they (politely!) suggest that you might like to talk to someone who can actually do anything about it they refuse and continue to grumble at you despite the fact that you've nothing to do with the cost of things!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Customers wanting you to do something but you say it's against company policy and then they decide to tell you "but (other shop assistant) does it for me".. Well that's great if they want to risk getting in trouble but I'm not!

Customers who give you a few cent short with out asking... Surely manners would mean at least saying it to me, I will agree...

Pretty much everything the OP said...

People have told me that I'll never have a worse job than working for the shop I'm currently with... Luckily it's a parttime job while I'm still at school!

It's not a mentality.. It's a fact. :confused:

What about other personal abuses retailers have to take? I work in a petrol station at the moment. No security, no defences. In my 8 years working there, I've been spat on, gotten my head kicked in, teased, threatened, been robbed, held up, amongst other things.

Are these to be taken with a pinch of salt aswell?

I'd take the overtime, "stress", and deadlines anyday over my own personal safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

How to piss a shop assistant off....

Work yourself into a flustered frenzy and come down to deli counter on a busy Saturday evening, skip ahead of queue to relate your problem...

You're double parked outside and you've no phone and you're not actually here to shop.....and what am I going to do to help her?!!!

Some stupid bint actually did this to me....I mean WTF! It seemed to be my fault anyway seemingly.Muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Say to a young child at the till
    "if you dont go to school you will end up working in a shop like this "

robbie1977 wrote: »

I can guarantee you that if you go to college and earn a degree and masters in this country you'll still end up working in a shop!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

One sure fire way to piss off shop workers is to meander around the shop leaving a trail of destruction in your wake. If you pick something up please try to put it back where it goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

robbie1977 wrote: »

hate people with that attitude!!!!!!!

my mates mam has worked in retail since she was 18 and didnt go to collage and shes now the manager of that store and is making more money than people she knows all her life that wnt to collage and all that stuff!!!! i wouldnt care were i worked once i liked going into work and i was in good environment , had nice things and a nice house and a nice life whif i have kids thats all i care about !!!!

One sure fire way to piss off shop workers is to meander around the shop leaving a trail of destruction in your wake. If you pick something up please try to put it back where it goes.

Worse... People putting magazines and newspapers in the wrong place.. We're not a big shop and we don't have a massive newsagent section... It's not that hard to take a quick look for where it belongs...

• Advertisement

Even worse then magazines.

People ordering rolls or wedges or anything from the deli or salad bar, change their mind and leave it by the freezer or some random shelf.

Instant loss for the shop and now a hot roll is left on some shelf, stinking.
    Hope the staff see it on their rounds

Instant loss for the shop and now a hot roll is left on some shelf, stinking.
    Hope the staff see it on their rounds

Found a box of eaten chicken wings behind some toys on a shelf in work.. The shelf is usually tidy so got ignored for a few days.. I found the box a few days later... Stunk like hell.. We don't have a deli so somebody came in and did it purposely... Grrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

- Looking at me angrily from a queue when I'm clearly on my lunch-break

Why would they see you on your lunch break? Surely, you shouldn't be on the shop floor? How would you 'clearly' be on your lunch break?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

I like this idea. Make it something you might just use in a conversation, but is distinctive.

“...you were almost a Jill Sandwich!”

Well played, sir.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Why would they see you on your lunch break? Surely, you shouldn't be on the shop floor? How would you 'clearly' be on your lunch break?

Maybe because I'm eating? There's no staff room and we have to 'stay alert' rather than take a standard time-off lunch break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Maybe because I'm eating? There's no staff room and we have to 'stay alert' rather than take a standard time-off lunch break

That's really the fault of the shop. Jeez, it mustn't look great having a member of staff eating on the shop floor. You've just said you've to 'stay alert', maybe the customer thinks the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

This attitude drives me mad. We're paid to facilitate your transaction on behalf of our employer. They get your money, you get your goods/services. That's fine.

We are not paid to take abuse from you because your day is bad or you can't bothered. It is not my job to make you feel better about your place in the world by playing whipping boy. That is not our function, and you shouldn't expect us to take it. We probably will, because we probably have to, but that doesn't make it alright.

Courtesy costs nothing, and not showing the slightest bit of it to somebody just because "they work here" is testament to poor character. I am no less deserving of a minimum degree of basic decency than anybody else. I love my job, but the sheer rudeness that otherwise normal, functional people exhibit to retail staff - consciously and unconsciously, and on a daily basis - defies belief sometimes.

I'm late to this thread but I have to say that one of the best, well though out and explained postings I've come across in a while.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Note to customers: You do realise that the teenage cashier on minimum wage doesn't actually have any control over the pricing of goods? You realise that right? right?

I think what alot of you need to realize is that we (well at my shop anyway) are given shifts of up to ten hours.
    It's not OK to treat us like part of the woodwork: fling coins and notes at us, yap away on the phone with your backs turned, dump a load of change on the counter demmand we pick out ten euro from it and then get angry when we don't pick out the right assortment change.:mad: (yes that has happened)

I've had a man demmand I go across the shop to get him another chicken and then have the nerve to tell me I'm holding everyone in the que up. Excuse me??:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Note to customers: You do realise that the teenage cashier on minimum wage doesn't actually have any control over the pricing of goods? You realise that right? right?

I think what alot of you need to realize is that we (well at my shop anyway) are given shifts of up to ten hours.
    It's not OK to treat us like part of the woodwork: fling coins and notes at us, yap away on the phone with your backs turned, dump a load of change on the counter demmand we pick out ten euro from it and then get angry when we don't pick out the right assortment change.:mad: (yes that has happened)

I do agree on the other hand as a customer I don't expect my change/credit card/receipt to be placed back on the counter without a word of thanks when I have up until that point been very polite, sadly this is something that is very common in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Grrrrrr:mad:

I hate customers who come up to you while talking on the mobile.

They then point to what they want, in a bar they point at the draught tap they want.
    You might ask "pint or glass sir?"
    And you get a cross look and they hold out their hand, "shussh, I'm on an important call"

Fine so, I serve someone else, come back to me when you are ready. And then I get more moaning on why I'm not getting their draught beer...

Talking on the mobile and expecting staff to serve you at the same time is pretty damn ignorant, you're not a Wall St trader buying and selling shares on that mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Thought id add my few bits and pieces.....

Customers who argue with each other for ages over whos going to pay and hold up the whole Q.

Customers who threaten to shot you or get their brother/father/whatever after you. Similar to the ones who claim that they will wait outside the place untill your finished work and they will "get" you. (Im more than happy to let them do this as they are usually drunk and im usually finished a ten or twelve hour shift and sober, nice to vent some anger :D but nobody has ever waited :p)

I really love the customers who come up after your finished serving (in a bar or club) asking for 7-up or a bad of crisps and cant understand why you cant serve them. Then they seem to think they have some kind of right that they are being denied by not serving them.

Similar to other people, customers who complain about things like prices or what stock you have, stuff you have zero control over.

People who ask for loads of extras with their food and then get surprised when they get charged for some of them.

Customers who talk so quiet that you cant hear them and refuse to speak louder. Or ones who try to mouth their order but end up looking like they are having some kind of facial seizure.

Customers who act shocked when you disagree with their complaint and point out reasonably why. There are limitations to the Customer Is Always Right Act.

But on the flipside these are things i hate in people i work with or people who serve me.......

Foreign co-workers speaking in their native language in front of customers.

As many people have said using their mobiles in front of customers

Ignoring customers so they can gossip about last night

Ignoring customers because they have little insignificant menial task to do but really just couldnt be bothered working properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I hate customers. I'm sorry but I actually do.

I'm the NICEST person ever but customers are the most annoying people ever. I hate ye all. Please stop coming to my shop and giving me misery.

Such as drunken people taking affection to me, people with no lives thinking I'm their friend, people complaining to ME, the bottom rung of the ladder about high prices and people who pick arguments with me over checking if their note is fake or not.

And for the love of god I do not care about the weather, I would rather just stand at my till politely smiling and saying please thank you 35cent change and a bye before I talk about the drop of rain that's badly needed.

Also we're not trying to sell you plastic bags it's the 22c government levy which goes to the government and not the shop. Or so I like to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Give off to the shop assistant and refuse to pay for your shopping because the company you work for don't have 22 cent bags and only have re-usable ones. Fair enough you're pissed off... but surely you cannot think that it was my idea to get rid of them.. and no, I'm not hiding a big stash of them away somewhere for the 'extra special' customers like yourself :rolleyes:

Sure, you might know one of the managers.. but that doesn't mean that I am gonna accept your cheque/ stirling etc!

Really good way to annoy us is by coming in at christmas time, five minutes before we close (midnight) .. expect that the shop assistants will sit there for another 15/ 20 minutes after we close cuz you coudnt be bothered coming in earlier :mad: ..I've been sitting here since 10 this morning.. and we have been open another couple of hours before that... surely you have time in your day somewhere to make it in before midnight :(

Generally customers are fine with me though! Once you're polite, say hello and help them whatever way you can they are usually going to treat you well. Obviously not alway the case though because some people just have no manners and think they are better than you just because you're working in retail :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

smurfy89 wrote: »

Really good way to annoy us is by coming in at christmas time, five minutes before we close (midnight) .. expect that the shop assistants will sit there for another 15/ 20 minutes after we close cuz you coudnt be bothered coming in earlier :mad: .

As a matter of interest does it annoy you that a customer might come in 5 mins before you are due to close any other time of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Just to give boardsies some methods of getting on the nerves of shopworkers (of which I am one) throughout Ireland:

[feel free to add to the list]

- Throw money on the counter, even if my receiving hand is fully extended
    - Mumble what you want only not to be understood, then accuse me of not speaking English
    - Stand there like an idiot even when I'm clearly trying to clean-up/walk past/ close the shop
    - Asking silly questions like "How much is the 6.50 carwash?" and "Are all your papers gone?" - No, we just sell invisible ones.
    - Buy one scratch card at a time, causing a queue to build-up
    - Looking at me angrily from a queue when I'm clearly on my lunch-break
    - Give us a fistful of change with compliments of pubic hair and pocket fluff
    - Start poking your Laser/Visa card at random angles toward the machine, even when clearly shown where to put it.
    - Asking "Are you closed?" when we're halfway out the door with lock-and-key in hand
    - Most people also STINK. Is it really asking much for you to wash your clothes and body at frequent occasions. It's especially revolting when the smell is transferred to the money (but a laugh is had at giving it to the next customer ha ha!)

Where do you work?

I wana try these out! :rolleyes:

OPENROAD wrote: »
    As a matter of interest does it annoy you that a customer might come in 5 mins before you are due to close any other time of the year?

Well obviously the doors are still open for a reason, but usually people have the common decency not to come in doing their weeks shopping a few minutes before we close! If a customer is coming in just buying a couple of items at that time then that's ok.. not wandering around browsing halfway through the shop ten mins after we close :rolleyes:

OPENROAD wrote: »

A little bit, because that 5 minutes usually translates into at least an extra 30 minutes by the time they've looked around, decided, paid and then we've taken off the till. I'll get over it though, I've done it myself and I know how you can lose track of time in town.

It's especially frustrating at Christmas though because I'm trying to get home to my own family back in the midlands, and my bus won't wait. Christmas comes at the same time every year, like. And I know sometimes that can catch up on you too, but that's not my fault either.

I used to work in a toy shop, and every Christmas Eve you'd have somebody telling you you'd ruined their child's Christmas because you couldn't magically conjure up the toy they want three months after it sold out in a hail of publicity...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

to shop assistants

- please stop asking do i have a clubcard when i'm buying a roll or a miniscule purchase; what late teenage guy has a dunnes clubcard

• Advertisement

to shop assistants

- please stop asking do i have a clubcard when i'm buying a roll or a miniscule purchase; what late teenage guy has a dunnes clubcard

Well it's company policy, so the shop assistants will have to ask everyone... especially if there is a supervisor/ management hanging around the till :P

Advertisement