Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Apple Tree Rootstock, M27 M9 M26 In Galway area

Options
  • 09-08-2010 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi First post

I am looking to reproduce about 20 apple trees.
    For the housing estate I live in.
    But
    It seems you need rootstock plant to graft on to.
    The rootstock seem to come in diffrent sizes M27 Very dwarf, M26 not so dwaf etc.

I need to get my hands on one of the dwarf M27/M 26 rootstock apple plants to start my colony.

The garden shops only have plants that are pre grafted with the rootstock shoots all killed off.

Look forward to your help as to where I can get dwarf apple rootstock in Galway area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

try irish seed savers in scariff ,co.clare will deffo have all you are looking for, not too far away from you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fannywart

Thanks for the tip
    I gave them a buzz
    Not too far , good
    They knew what I was talking about , great.
    but

They dont have any at the moment.
    They expect root stock in again in Jan/2011

AHHHHHh:eek:

Iam too impatient for a 5 month wait. Need to get reproducing these apples already.
    Its a three year plan cant afford delay before the start.

So here I go again

Does any one know where I can get diffrent size dwarf root stock ie M27 and M26 sizes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

holland

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

fannywart wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip
    I gave them a buzz
    Not too far , good
    They knew what I was talking about , great.
    but

They dont have any at the moment.
    They expect root stock in again in Jan/2011

AHHHHHh:eek:

Iam too impatient for a 5 month wait. Need to get reproducing these apples already.
    Its a three year plan cant afford delay before the start.

So here I go again

Does any one know where I can get diffrent size dwarf root stock ie M27 and M26 sizes

Did they explain to you why the root stocks are only available from Jan11 ... Am sure from then onwards you can only graft... Are you planning to "Bud" (Like Roses) your Trees now or something??
    Am No "Expert" ... But Is this Possible?

Vanhalla wrote: »
    holland

Not sure how to get them from holland???

"Did they explain to you why the root stocks are only available from Jan11 ... Am sure from then onwards you can only graft... Are you planning to "Bud" (Like Roses) your Trees now or something??
    Am No "Expert" ... But Is this Possible? "

Because they do one big order a year and they only do the grafting in march.

Bud my trees sounds like I am growing dope.
    No the reason for my impatience is that the 3 year master plan isto make lots of trees on the cheap for the estate green.
    This involves getting some rootstock and reproducing the rootstock first; saving cash.
    The sooner I get my hands on rootstock the sooner the asexual reproduction can begin.

So no root stock till new year bummer.

In relation to why they graft in march, I am not sure does mother nature not permit grafting at other times of the year???

• Advertisement

"Did they explain to you why the root stocks are only available from Jan11 ... Am sure from then onwards you can only graft... Are you planning to "Bud" (Like Roses) your Trees now or something??

No the reason for my impatience is that the 3 year master plan isto make lots of trees on the cheap for the estate green.
    This involves getting some rootstock and reproducing the rootstock first; saving cash.
    The sooner I get my hands on rootstock the sooner the asexual reproduction can begin.

In relation to why they graft in march, I am not sure does mother nature not permit grafting at other times of the year???

... Bud my trees sounds like I am growing dope.... OKAY :confused:

From what I gather you can BUD roses and some "trees/Shrubs"?? this time of Year I think more JULY?? Not too sure of Fruit trees

I think its Normal to Graft in Spring Just the First growth happens...

So if this is the case you can't do any work now except ensure your supply of Scion wood is good and healthy and Prepare a "nursery" bed for the trees...

Get your Root stocks in January and Do the grafts in Spring, Grow on for a Year or more in Nursery Bed and move to final Growing Spot ... Get more Root Stock than you need and Expect a 30% Loss (I expect it when sowing Seeds) Unless you are very good and done it before I wouldn't expect 100% success.

But if you contact that Company again ... I think I have heard of them before they are trying to "save" Old/forgotten fruit culitvars. ??? May not be them... And ask for advice explain what you are trying to do... maybe Bring some "old" culitvars into your Project .

Good Luck and let us know how it goes

Just How many Trees are you planning to Graft ??? Why do you need to get more root stocks thru asexual reproduction .... ?

jezko wrote: »
    Just How many Trees are you planning to Graft ??? Why do you need to get more root stocks thru asexual reproduction .... ?

Ok I am on the residents committee and we blew away this year cash on other projects.
    Planting apple trees seems like a good idea but to buy they cost about 20 euros pre grafted.

I am thinking 20-30 trees would be nice but even if you only pay a couple of euros for rootstock, it will add up. circa 80 euro I guess
    Thus my idea of getting a few rootstock plants and reproducing them by air layering as I am led to understand you cant make apple tree cuttings grow with out an intensive care unit.

So spend a tenner on a few rootstock, make more rootstock 30 or so by reproducing them. Graft them in a year or so.

This is why I am not interested yet too much in grafting as I see that as a year away from when I first get the rootstock. hope I am being clear here.

In short it comes down to money.

Any one have some root stock out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

futureforests.net may have the answer to your probs, they are friendly and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

most suppliers only carry rootstock during grafting season ( springtime, when the tree is awakening from dormancy and the sap is rising)... if you can identify trees with the required rootsock in your area( local orchard), you can easily cultivate rootstock by taking the suckers from the base of established trees and potting them on,( these are the whips that grow below the graft union at the base of the trunk).

• Advertisement

Today did an experiment in air layering of a crab apple.
    Trying re reproduce through putting pots on the plant.
    1) first cut a small pot

2) grazed the surface of a side shoot
    3) rooting hormone all over the palce , because of the wind
    pot cutting.jpg

no bark.jpg

124060.jpg

then 4) Electric tape to hold pot on tree.
    5) soil and moisture crystals
    6) wait for a few months I think?

sparky tape.jpg

craby.jpg
    124061.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18 balbriggans

Hi, i getting a bunch of rootstocks and will have a few spare if anyone is interested.
    * ottawa 3 (like m26 but less suckering, more "precoscious" apparently)
    * B9
    * M9

I'm in kinsale. posting them isn't a problem. send a p.m.
    cheers

Advertisement