Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont people fold a buggy when the bus comes

Options
  • 09-08-2010 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I have seen it so many times so why wont men and women fold there buggy when the bus arrives that has a buggy on it - they would rather spend time arguing with the driver where they would have had it folded in half the time

when my kids were small no buses were low floor and we had to fold buggy while holding child and shopping

but now a days all you see is stops full of people waiting for a bus without a buggy on it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah but what about poor little Johnny!?!? :eek::mad:

ALL men and women with buggies are bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

Unfortunately it stems from the horrid sense of entitlement that seems to be endemic in this country of ours.

So it seems to me at any rate...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Cos there's usually a baby or a child in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Looking for attention.

I know a lot of women who won't open their purse until they are at the top of the queue ,
    with a long queue behind them and then they start looking for coins. It makes me mad. That includes buggies..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The people in wheelchairs are worse. You have to wait for the driver to lower the ramp, them to wheel themselves on, find a spot and then lift the ramp. Same craic getting off too. Takes forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Several reasons for this :

1. there may not be a buggy on it and they dont want to fold the buggy unnecessarily.

2. They may have a large awkward buggy that is difficult to fold, not easy to do with a newborn!

3. They may be a ballsy person who thinks regardless of whether or not there is a buggy they should be allowed to get on anyway (these are usually certain nationality women and skobies with a 4 year old in a buggy for some unknown reason!)

4. It may be a twin buggy, thats a nightmare on several levels!!!!:eek:

5. I have seen bus drivers tell a women to fold a buggy, and when she is folding it outside the bus, he then proceeds to close the door and drive off leaving her at the side of the road.

I myself think that anyone with a easy fold buggy with a child old enough to walk safely should fold their buggy anyway, there may be a woman with a very young child just down the road that should be allowed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Cos there's usually a baby or a child in it.

And is there the possibility that said baby could be removed from same.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's ask the parents.
    From After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Before my son could walk I avoided the bus for this reason.

Because its impossible, for me anyway, to fold a buggy and hold a baby at the same time. Plus if the bus is crowded, you have to hold the baby and the buggy and manage not to kill yourself and the baby, not get pick pocketed, not fall on people, while the bus is in motion.

So...i imagine that's why they dont fold the buggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I have seen it so many times so why wont men and women fold there buggy when the bus arrives that has a buggy on it - they would rather spend time arguing with the driver where they would have had it folded in half the time

when my kids were small no buses were low floor and we had to fold buggy while holding child and shopping

but now a days all you see is stops full of people waiting for a bus without a buggy on it
    tell you what, why dont you get try it? Take a squirming 12 mth old who weighs over a stone, hold them under one arm and try to fold a pushchair, hold on to your nappy bag - cause some skanger could steal it while you are folding, then try to climb 3 steps, pay a driver and carry said squirming child and buggy to a part of the bus that you can fit.
    when you have tried it you might have a little bit of insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

back in the day, when I were a young lad, a buggy was used to transport your babies/toddlers....
    kind of like a mini deckchair with wheels, basically a bit of canvas material with a folding mechanism. To fold, one would remove the child, and then the buggy would collapse in an instant, removing any digits left in the way...

These days, people push their kids around in integrated travel systems, with independent suspension, trays, cup holders, integrated car seats, breakdown kits, with pump, tyre gauge, multiple storage solutions for child and parent.
    In order to fold these f*(kers down you need to have
    • a 2nd person to hold your child as you attempt to fold the fecking thing
    • a 3rd (and possible 4th person) to hold all of the phones, mp3 players, groceries, baby cups, shopping, baby bags etc, that you need to take out of the the buggy before it will fold
    • a degree in mechanical engineering
    • extreme dexterity and strength, to simultaneously release the footcatch, pull of the level on the left hand side, and push and rotate the safety lever on the right had side, in order to get it to fold
    • Then once the folding procedure is complete you realise that these frigging things weight > 25kg and when folded is impossible to move

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

The people in wheelchairs are worse. You have to wait for the driver to lower the ramp, them to wheel themselves on, find a spot and then lift the ramp. Same craic getting off too. Takes forever.

I hope you never find yourself having to use a wheelchair with that attitude. If I was using the bus with my child and didn't fold the buggy it would be because my child who looks normal can't walk ie she has special needs and can't be held on my lap either so never judge a book by it's cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Knine wrote: »
    I hope you never find yourself having to use a wheelchair with that attitude. If I was using the bus with my child and didn't fold the buggy it would be because my child who looks normal can't walk ie she has special needs and can't be held on my lap either so never judge a book by it's cover.

To be fair , that was posted while the thread was in AH...

I agree with lynski..... it ain't easy .

We had a very simple Maclaran , still not easy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I guess some of these experts in childcare should wait until they actully have a child themselves and use public transport before they preach about why people don't fold buggies on a bus. It us one of the main reasons I have a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dandruff_ie

lynski wrote: »
    tell you what, why dont you get try it? Take a squirming 12 mth old who weighs over a stone, hold them under one arm and try to fold a pushchair, hold on to your nappy bag - cause some skanger could steal it while you are folding, then try to climb 3 steps, pay a driver and carry said squirming child and buggy to a part of the bus that you can fit.
    when you have tried it you might have a little bit of insight.

I guess you did not read all that I said

" when my kids were small no buses were low floor and we had to fold buggy while holding child and shopping "

been there have a few T shirts and it is very easy it can be done getting into a car or a house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'll prob avoid using the bus with my baby for these reasons. I saw one mum with her baby try to get her baby, her folded buggy and a change bag off the bus. Everyone stood around, watched and wouldn't even step out of her way never mind offering to help her. Prob because I'm pregnant now so more aware of these things I carried the buggy off the bus for her. It weighed a ton.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Luas FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

NoHornJan wrote: »
    Looking for attention.

I know a lot of women who won't open their purse until they are at the top of the queue ,
    with a long queue behind them and then they start looking for coins. It makes me mad. That includes buggies..
    I totally agree with u. They like to get attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Knine wrote: »
    I guess some of these experts in childcare should wait until they actully have a child themselves and use public transport before they preach about why people don't fold buggies on a bus. It us one of the main reasons I have a car!
    Good, one less on the road but still.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I hate buggys. Everywhere. Especially horribly crowded places like Ikea: carry the kid or don't bring it! One day I'm going to invent a really tiny really lightweight buggy for small babies and make a killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

" when my kids were small no buses were low floor and we had to fold buggy while holding child and shopping "

been there have a few T shirts and it is very easy it can be done getting into a car or a house
    apologies, i was more replying to some of the replies. couple of things have changed in the last decade or so - more traffic making letting go a toddler, even for a second a lot more dangerous; people less willing to help strangers; impatient bus drivers; i am not sure if this is a change, but the city is filthy in a lot places, so you would not put down a non-walking child; also you would not put your shopping down in a lot of places either, cause it would get robbed;
    I have only done public transport in Dublin 4 or 5 times since having children, first couple of times no bother at all, walked on and off buses then after one particularly hellish trip I have not been inclined again. A sleeping 2yr old weighing over 2 stone and folding a pushchair, with a handbag and nappybag (cause you got to have nappies, food, change of clothes etc for a day out), and noone offering any assistance, just getting ticked off, was not my idea of how to travel.
    London and the tube was far more enjoyable and we got a lot more help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

JohnDee wrote: »
    Unfortunately it stems from the horrid sense of entitlement that seems to be endemic in this country of ours.

So it seems to me at any rate...:rolleyes:

Everything, at the end of the day, boils down to "....and its just typical of this bloody country"....

Our buggy doesn't fold up.....what ya want me to do.....so you had a foldeable buggy and you could fold it up, well done here's a medal to pin on your teeshirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Please remember civil posting is expected on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dandruff_ie

apologies, i was more replying to some of the replies. couple of things have changed in the last decade or so - more traffic making letting go a toddler, even for a second a lot more dangerous; people less willing to help strangers; impatient bus drivers; i am not sure if this is a change, but the city is filthy in a lot places, so you would not put down a non-walking child; also you would not put your shopping down in a lot of places either, cause it would get robbed;
    I have only done public transport in Dublin 4 or 5 times since having children, first couple of times no bother at all, walked on and off buses then after one particularly hellish trip I have not been inclined again. A sleeping 2yr old weighing over 2 stone and folding a pushchair, with a handbag and nappybag (cause you got to have nappies, food, change of clothes etc for a day out), and noone offering any assistance, just getting ticked off, was not my idea of how to travel.

point taken

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I've noticed a recent trend of people putting a second buggy in the space. I don't know why the drivers allow it, it looks really unsafe!

I got on the bus with my nephew a couple of times and it was grand, the buggy's really easy to fold with one hand. Unlike the bloody travel system he used to need when he was smaller, you had to take off the seat, remove the raincover and bag from the back, fold up the wheels and somehow get all that crap on the bus!

I can understand why people wait until the bus arrives to get stuff folded. Plus it's easier to have the child in the buggy at the side of the road than trying to hold everything and keep them under control!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I avoid the bus like the plague with a child, shopping and buggy for the reasons mentioned. Some parents don't have the luxury of a car though.

I must confess that I never talked about these things much before I had to do it mysefl though as I would have been far too emabrassed anout not knowing what I was talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭katie99

NoHornJan wrote: »
    Looking for attention.

It's a pet hate of mine. You patiently stand in line, and the person, usually a woman at the top of the queue waits until she's on the bus before opening her bag, rummaging for her purse, then pulling loose change from her purse and counting the exact amount required before putting it down the shut. She then closes her purse, places it in her bag, and only then takes her ticket while the rest of us get soaking. Selfish, thoughtless.

I'll prob avoid using the bus with my baby for these reasons. I saw one mum with her baby try to get her baby, her folded buggy and a change bag off the bus. Everyone stood around, watched and wouldn't even step out of her way never mind offering to help her. Prob because I'm pregnant now so more aware of these things I carried the buggy off the bus for her. It weighed a ton.

Well I did my good deed on Sunday. I was coming out of town on the bus and a lady got on with her buggy and baby, and two bags. I walked down to her and offered to fold her buggy for her. She thanked me profusely.

She was alighting the bus and I did the same thing again, took her buggy for her and opened it. She was delighted and thanked me again. As I got back on the bus, the driver said absolutely nothing. Nor did anyone else. Some able bodied men and women on the downstairs of the bus pretended to be looking out the window rather than acknowledge my charitable act of the day.

• Advertisement

I think some people are reluctant help mums with babies and buggys in case the mother tells them to get lost.

Advertisement