Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm New.....looking for some photos

Options
  • 09-08-2010 7:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hallo,I'm italian but i love very much Ireland and the irish history!
    I admire people like M.Collins and P.Pearse. I have a lot of material on them!But i have almost nothing on another great man Cathal Brugha!
    In the web there are always the same few photos!
    can you help me please?

I'm looking also for photos on Thomas Whelan (one of the Forgotton ten)
    especially his close up!

Thanks to all!!:o

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

There are no adequate biographies of Cathal Brugha in English. There are a couple written in Gaelic. I can't vouch for their competance.

I had the same problem, was always fascinated by Brugha (I wouldn't call him a 'great' man though, he certainly is a product of a unique time) and very disappointed when I couldn't a book for him. If you ever fancy doing a PHD in history, Brugha is a wide open net...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Denerick wrote: »
    There are no adequate biographies of Cathal Brugha in English. There are a couple written in Gaelic. I can't vouch for their competance.

I had the same problem, was always fascinated by Brugha (I wouldn't call him a 'great' man though, he certainly is a product of a unique time) and very disappointed when I couldn't a book for him. If you ever fancy doing a PHD in history, Brugha is a wide open net...

i admire brugha myself and i have found it hard to find any books dedicated to him. i got an issue of wolfe tone annual that had god info on him , ithink it was from 1962. also liked liam mellows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

i admire brugha myself and i have found it hard to find any books dedicated to him. i got an issue of wolfe tone annual that had god info on him , ithink it was from 1962. also liked liam mellows.

I don't admire Brugha, I'm fascinated by him. I'm horrified by him more than anything else. I think he represents a reactionary mind at a very particular time in European history.

Liam Mellows is another interesting figure. The former President of the Irish Communist Party, Desmond Greaves, wrote a very good biography of him (He also wrote a good book on Connolly)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

[

Liam Mellows is another interesting figure. The former President of the Irish Communist Party, Desmond Greaves, wrote a very good biography of him (He also wrote a good book on Connolly)[/QUOTE]

mellows would never have been tolerated in post civil war ireland.
    although he was excommunicated the church blessed his statue as its unveiling in galway. the same army that sent him to the next life named the barracks in galway in his honour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

ele1786 wrote: »
    Hallo,I'm italian but i love very much Ireland and the irish history!
    I admire people like M.Collins and P.Pearse. I have a lot of material on them!But i have almost nothing on another great man Cathal Brugha!
    In the web there are always the same few photos!
    can you help me please?

I'm looking also for photos on Thomas Whelan (one of the Forgotton ten)
    especially his close up!

Thanks to all!!:o
    I have a nice book on the civil war with plenty of photos but the only one in it of Brugha is that of him lying in state. I suppose I could scan that up for you if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, I can't recall ever seeing a biography of Cathal Brugha.

Definitly a gap in the market if somebody wanted a new project.

Maybe even you ele1786?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ele1786

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I have a nice book on the civil war with plenty of photos but the only one in it of Brugha is that of him lying in state. I suppose I could scan that up for you if you want.

Thanks a lot!Every new picture is welcome!:):)
    ( for me is a shame that there are no a good biography on him! or more pictures on the web):(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

ele1786 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot!Every new picture is welcome!:):)
    ( for me is a shame that there are no a good biography on him! or more pictures on the web):(
    Here you go! :) Hope my scan is good enough, turned out OK I think! Lovely cropping if I may say so! :D

Cathal Brugha in State, Saturday 8th July 1922. He died on the 7th.

brugha.jpg

A very small man, no uniform in his size could be found. Two members of the Cumann na M'Ban in full uniform are beside him.
    Taken from "The Irish Civil War by Tim Pat Coogan and George Morrison. Lovely book.
    mybrughainstatej

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Fuinseog wrote: »

the same army that sent him to the next life named the barracks in galway in his honour

The nameing of Army barracks is a bit strange alright.
    Most are named after Fenians or the heros of the Anti treaty side of the civil war.

Cathal Bruagha Barracks in Dublin.
    Lynch camp in Kilworth, Cork (after Liam Lynch) etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The nameing of Army barracks is a bit strange alright.
    Most are named after Fenians or the heros of the Anti treaty side of the civil war.

Probably done to appease the anti-Treaty side and to recognise their contribution to the State, particularly as 1916 was such a landmark for the Irish Republic and many who were anti-Treaty had fought in the Rising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Can we end the discussion of independence/civil war and non-Brugha figures at this stage please? Thread is about pics.

Advertisement