Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Seed Down what next

Options
  • 09-08-2010 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Moved into a house with a garden , prob 10 foot by 10 foot of 20% grass 80% weeds and moss

So far I have put down a box of the weed and feed , which has made the grass nice and green and killed the moss and weeds

Last night i raked out all the moss , filling the brown bin and dug up the 2 surviving dandelion weeds

Then put down grass seed , its the coated stuff so birds wont eat it and supposed to grown fast...and gave it a bit of a watering , but it rained last night so all good , soil is a sandy mix, if that matters

It mentioned on the box about initial fertiliser, do I need that and what is it , or would the weed and feed have put a good bit of nutrients into the soils

Anything else I should do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Not an expert at all but i'll give you my experience of it.

I put down lawn seed at the begining of june and i remember people tellin me i was mad to do it as it was not grass seed time of the year(usually april and sept i think)

I watered it every evening (keeping in mind there was very little rain then) and fed it once with that green bottle of feed you attach to your hose that i normally use for flowers.

By July it was fully grown and being cut weekly.

The only advice i can give you about a lawn is that if putting nutrients down in one section try to get it down in all as i have noticed, in another section of lawn that i did, that the grass is much greener and grows a lot faster and thicker. Luckily for me this section is well seperated from the rest of the garden so does not stand out to much but you'd certainly realise it when standing in it or cutting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Did you lightly cover the grass seed with a rake? As the seed need a light cover of soil to germinate. You could spread potato fertilizer 7:6:17 as it has low nitrogen and enough p and k for newly sown grass seeds. It won't drive grass mad, that you could be cutting it twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Hey OP,

I've been repairing my grass lately. It was nearly 50% moss and plenty of random weeds everywhere.

I bought this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lawn-Expert-D-G-Hessayon/dp/0903505487

I got it in Woodies so try there. It's pretty comprehensive and deals with repairs, maintainance and new lawns. Heva a look at it next time your in the DIY shops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Can second that recommendation, it is an excellent book. In fact Hessayon's whole series is great. I've been picking them up evry now and again second hand on amazon for usually less than £1 plus delivery. All have been in near brand new condition :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

mine was also full of moss
    i put on a good fertaliser and hey presto
    no moss now, and i fertalised it 4 weeks ago

• Advertisement
Advertisement