Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smashed with a Watermellon

• 09-08-2010 8:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

Anyone read the report in the Sunday Independent yesterday about the journalist cycling past Mountjoy Prison (I think twas there anyway) and getting a box of a watermellon into the head and falling off the bike. He didn't mention anything about wearing a helmet but I guess that would frighten the living daylights outta you. Lucky to be alive if you ask me.

I really dislike cycling through the city. Traffic is dangerous even if you take your time. Fumes from cars gives me a pain in my head and now there's the chance of getting struck by a watermellon. Crazy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

There was always a chance of being struck by a watermelon, as this incident proves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

They've been known to throw stuff a lot worse than watermelon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have nothing relevant to add to this bizarre story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I have had stuff thrown at me before but I always saw it coming and thankfully they always missed. That guy needs to keep his eyes and ears open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

I had dog shit thrown at me across from Temple St. Children's hospital. I now wear a full biohazard suit and mask when cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

He didn't mention anything about wearing a helmet. Crazy.

Urgent letter being penned to the indo. I'd say it would make print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

I had a cigarette thrown from a car window go down the front of my T-shirt. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Anyone read the report in the Sunday Independent yesterday about the journalist cycling past Mountjoy Prison (I think twas there anyway) and getting a box of a watermellon into the head and falling off the bike. He didn't mention anything about wearing a helmet but I guess that would frighten the living daylights outta you. Lucky to be alive if you ask me.

I really dislike cycling through the city. Traffic is dangerous even if you take your time. Fumes from cars gives me a pain in my head and now there's the chance of getting struck by a watermellon. Crazy.

I have one of these anti-pollution masks for sale is you're interested. It's plain black unlike the pictures on wiggle. Only used once and in perfect nick. Yours for a tenner and I can deliver to Finglas.

I prefer to train in the countryside so don't really have any need for it. If you're pottering into town and don't want to inhale a load of filth it's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

had a half full plastic coke bottle thrown at me on sally gap a few weeks ago by some scummer in a passing car! good job it hit my helmet(one on my head!);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

He didn't mention anything about wearing a helmet
    But is there any sound research that shows the benefits to watermelons of wearing helmets?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Seeing as they often describe peoples heads being burst like a melon, then surely they have the same squishy properties. So really they should both equally absorb the impact. You and the watermelon will be left with minor bruising, and you'll have the added benefit of a refreshing snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

Someone threw the road at me on friday evening and it hit me on the chin! Well it must have been thrown 'cos I would never fall off my bike!!!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Seriously a watermelon WTF?

Worst I've had is someone slap me from the passenger seat of a car on Howth Hill. You have to wonder what going through their heads when they're deciding to throw stuff at cyclists, is it really going to make their day to knock someone off their bike and possibly seriously injure them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eggs, snow, and a 3/4kg slab of ice here. Never watermelons though. Must watch out for them now:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

I met a guy at the electric picnic a few years ago who put half a watermelon on his head helmet style. He claimed it was good for re-hydration.Thats my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Sprayed with coke and had a half full (I'm an optimist) can of beer thrown at me, plus the usual snowballs and a few acorns once when I was in the Phoenix Park.

The worst was not so much thrown at me, but spat at me - coming out of work one evening and for some reason this "person" took offence and spat at me - nice big gobby one right down my leg (he must've been getting over a dose of bronchitis!). Went around the corner and hosed myself off with my water bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

The bangers at halloween are always fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Liamo08 wrote: »
    Seriously a watermelon WTF?

Worst I've had is someone slap me from the passenger seat of a car on Howth Hill. You have to wonder what going through their heads when they're deciding to throw stuff at cyclists, is it really going to make their day to knock someone off their bike and possibly seriously injure them?

How do you get slapped from a car? You must have been stopped and made a really rude remark coz I can't think of anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How do you get slapped from a car? You must have been stopped and made a really rude remark coz I can't think of anything else.

You assume the assailant is rational.

There have been a few reports here of cyclists being pushed or slapped on the arse from a car, with no provocation.

Had a McDonals Ba da ba ba ba thing of coke thrown at me one day also. really annoying. I rekon the car was an inch away from my pedal as well doing 60-70km/hr. How I stayed on the bike I'll never know.

Was shot at with a bazooka also one day but managed to outspeed it. :eek: Mark cavendish should be leading me out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Yes sure that's obviously what happened. :rolleyes:

A guy reached out from the passenger window and hit me on the back as I was near the top of the hill, completely unprovoked and as I was flat out at the time I was far from able to make a rude remark. As Lumen has pointed out these guys are idiots, the car was less than 2 feet from me when it happened so if I had swerved from the shock of it I'd possibly have gotten knocked down as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

Mudguard from a truck hurled at me from a kid & hurt like hell. Luckily I had a helmet on.

Liamo08 wrote: »
    Yes sure that's obviously what happened. :rolleyes:

A guy reached out from the passenger window and hit me on the back as I was near the top of the hill, completely unprovoked and as I was flat out at the time I was far from able to make a rude remark. As Lumen has pointed out these guys are idiots, the car was less than 2 feet from me when it happened so if I had swerved from the shock of it I'd possibly have gotten knocked down as well.

You only get slapped by a woman. Men don't slap (proper men anyway).

Agree, they are idiots though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Rugby ball to the helmet. Haven't been targeted with anything organic.

Mid you, there are some Sunday Indo journalists I wouldn't mind seeing pummelled with a watermelon (in a Roadrunner kind of way).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Brother-in-law was slapped while moving (passenger reached out). At lights a 100m further on the passenger waved a hatchet out the window. Brother-in-law had held back, still recovering from the the slap. Unfortunately he didn't note the reg plate (I'd have driven him to local station to report assault).

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

daymobrew wrote: »
    Brother-in-law was slapped while moving (passenger reached out).

Happened to me about 18 months ago - someone hanging out of the passenger window almost shoved me into the hedge. It was a Friday afternoon, and I suspect drink was involved. They drove on, then turned round and came back past me - didn't compose myself quickly enough to get the full number plate unfortunately (still remember it was black 01-D with L plates though!). Lady in the car behind who witnessed it was probably more shocked than I was!

Being knocked off your bike by a piece of fruit may seem funny but it's no laughing matter

Wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

You can all laugh about this, but its quite serious. Apparently the cyclist in question has been afflicted by severe meloncholoy as a result of the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I had an empty drinks bottle fired at me yesterday from a car near Portlaw (Waterford), pity I didn't get the reg. Someone did try (poorly) and pinch my bum once which I did find rather amusing.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

droidus wrote: »
    You can all laugh about this, but its quite serious. Apparently the cyclist in question has been afflicted by severe meloncholoy as a result of the incident.

I heard he was a bit seedy alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I heard he was a bit seedy alright.

At least he got to publish a juicy story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Joke all you want, but there are serious personal consequences to this as well.

I know this guy. He's been involved in a secret romance for the last few years and was supposed to get married this weekend, but now, because of this heinous attack, he cantaloupe.

Its a terrible shame - it was supposed to be a gala affair too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Tau

I've been shot by a guy with a pellet gun in the passenger seat of a car while cycling in the Phoenix Park. I thought I had the reg but when I phoned the guards they said it was a totally different type of car, so I must have swapped a digit or something.

Shame though, shooting a pellet gun out of a car wouldn't be assault, it would be more like offences against the state and they could have really screwed the assholes.

Tau wrote: »
    I've been shot by a guy with a pellet gun in the passenger seat of a car while cycling in the Phoenix Park. I thought I had the reg but when I phoned the guards they said it was a totally different type of car, so I must have swapped a digit or something.
    Play around with the digits on cartell.ie and you might find the right reg. That site will tell you the make/model for any reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Tau

Play around with the digits on cartell.ie and you might find the right reg. That site will tell you the make/model for any reg.

Wish I had known about that site at the time, was 2 years ago though.

Resurrecting this old thread to show a news article I came across ;

See http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/21/2241755/independence-bans-harassment-of.html

I'm generally not a huge fan of extra legislation, given that much of the existing legislation is not enforced. But perhaps there might be an arguement for something specific to outlaw attacks against cyclists, and other road users.

Advertisement