Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From The North To The South

• 09-08-2010 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have a very good friend who is from Northern Ireland and as recently split/separated from her husband. She was talking to me about making a new life south of the border which is all fine but she believes that she will have the same rights as any Irish person when it comes to signing on rent allowance etc.
    My questions are.
    Can she just move down today and sign on and get the dole money?
    Can she also claim the rent allowance?
    What type if any proof does she need that she has separated from her husband?
    I have known her for many years and have told her that this carnet be right, you carnet just move down and claim like this.
    So far she has a room to go to who will take rent allowance. Her plan is to sign on get the rent allowance for a few months then find any type of job. And knowing her she will find a job quite quick.
    Imp just looking to know if anyone knows if she is right as id hates her to be wasting her time with the move.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

If she has never worked or lived in the state before, she probably won't qualify for any means tested payments as she won't satisfy the habitual residence condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

cAr0l wrote: »
    If she has never worked or lived in the state before, she probably won't qualify for any means tested payments as she won't satisfy the habitual residence condition.

Resident in the CTA for more than two years usually means will qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭alwaystherain

Dont belive the habitual residence condition applys to UK or common area citizens, Too EU and rest of the world it does. But when it comes to Ireland and UK we seem to have some special rules in place between our 2 countries.
    Seems UK people can move here at will and visa versa and have the benefits of that country.
    I might be wrong on all this so if someone knows better let me no.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

UK or Irish citizens are not considered foreigners in the other state and if you were paid up with NI/ PRSI in one then you can claim whatever in the other. Just going from Ireland to England/ Scotland/ Wales and they might not be so clued into the fact, between NI and Republic shouldn't be any problem though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

There's a right to residency but to qualify for certain payments, the habitual residency conditions, including proof that R of I has become main centre of interest, must be met.

Since 1 May 2004, all applicants regardless of nationality are required to be habitually resident in the State in order to qualify for the following payments:

* Jobseeker's Allowance
    * State Pension (Non Contributory)
    * Blind Pension
    * Widow(er)'s Non Contributory Pension
    * One Parent Family Payment
    * Guardian's Payment
    * Carer's Allowance
    * Disability Allowance
    * Supplementary Welfare Allowance (other than once off exceptional and urgent needs payments) and
    * Child Benefit
    * Domiciliary Care Allowance

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/pages/habres.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

No matter where you are from you have to satisfy the condition. Somebody who has never worked or lived here, with no family ties here, won't satisfy it regardless of nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭alwaystherain

No matter where you are from you have to satisfy the condition. Somebody who has never worked or lived here, with no family ties here, won't satisfy it regardless of nationality.

Hi CaR0l
    May i ask how you know this, can i take what you say for fact?
    Im asking only as i have spoken to someone from the social welfare office who have told me they would need to go in for a chat and that uk or irish work or never worked is taken on case by case.
    As i say this was only a chat on the phone.
    So would you please tell me how you Know this, or is this a case of what you head read. Just want to get all the facts not hear say etc.

Advertisement