Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What GPS for Irish Mountains?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I usually avoid GPS like the plague. I much prefer to use a map and a compass, pacing, etc. However, I have also had some pretty close escapes after making the wrong call with the map.

I have come to the conclusion that in the depths of winter when it is getting dark and the mist is so thick that you can barely see the map in your hands, it might be nice to have a little electronic gadget in the bag to confirm where I am on the map!

Any suggestions as to a cheap, portable, bottom-of-the-bag, non-battery-guzzling device which will allow me to pinpoint my position on either (a) my paper map or (b) a proper OSI Discovery-type map on the GPS unit itself?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you want a GPS to just give you a grid reference and that's it, then pretty much anything will do, maybe the cheapest Garmin etrex model, the etrex H, for example, although in that series the Venture HC would be my 'best buy'.

For displaying raster mapping with OSi maps you'll need one of the newer models, say an Oregon 450 or Dakota 20.

As an aside, while I agree that the traditional methods of navigation are important, and should be mastered before anyone ventures out on the hills, if you put a bit more time and effort into understanding how a handheld GPS works, and what you can do with it, you'll get a lot more out of it than if you just leave it in the bottom of your rucksack to rot, plus you'll be more likely to remember how to switch it on and navigate the menus when you do actually need it in an emergency!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Alun wrote: »
    If you want a GPS to just give you a grid reference and that's it, then pretty much anything will do, maybe the cheapest Garmin etrex model, the etrex H, for example, although in that series the Venture HC would be my 'best buy'.

For displaying raster mapping with OSi maps you'll need one of the newer models, say an Oregon 450 or Dakota 20.

As an aside, while I agree that the traditional methods of navigation are important, and should be mastered before anyone ventures out on the hills, if you put a bit more time and effort into understanding how a handheld GPS works, and what you can do with it, you'll get a lot more out of it than if you just leave it in the bottom of your rucksack to rot, plus you'll be more likely to remember how to switch it on and navigate the menus when you do actually need it in an emergency!

Thanks for that Alun, much appreciated. I understand what you are saying about the GPS units. I have friends who swear by them. I'm just a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to the old map and compass though. Having said that, there are times when the help of a GPS beats a map and compass on their own hands down - and that's usually the times when you really need them!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tester46 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Alun, much appreciated. I understand what you are saying about the GPS units. I have friends who swear by them. I'm just a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to the old map and compass though. Having said that, there are times when the help of a GPS beats a map and compass on their own hands down - and that's usually the times when you really need them!
    Indeed, such as situations where you're trying to follow a compass bearing through terrain with 2m high peat hags and bogs every few metres, i.e. most of Wicklow :D. Following a GPS heading to a known waypoint through that sort of terrain beats a compass and pacing (which I've never really trusted tbh) any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I have an Etrex Vista HCX with the Emerald Ireland contour maps and I think it is almost perfect. Mobile phone size, waterproof, rugged, easy screen to read, strong signal, good battery life. I couldn't justify the cost of the newer touchscreen GPS and the outrageous map prices from the OSI.

I was really surprised how useful a mapping GPS is, it makes a huge difference when hiking, particularly where you are deviating off of a planned route.

http://emerald-island.eu/wikka/GpsMap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

I have an etrex. I use it as a back up to my map and compass work. I would highly suggest that you use the GPS during map checks and infrequently.
    There has been more than one guy who fell off a ledge while looking at his GPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

hmmm wrote: »
    I have an Etrex Vista HCX with the Emerald Ireland contour maps and I think it is almost perfect. Mobile phone size, waterproof, rugged, easy screen to read, strong signal, good battery life. I couldn't justify the cost of the newer touchscreen GPS and the outrageous map prices from the OSI.

I was really surprised how useful a mapping GPS is, it makes a huge difference when hiking, particularly where you are deviating off of a planned route.

http://emerald-island.eu/wikka/GpsMap
    I use the same set up and while I originally used the emerald-island site I recently downloaded a similiar (same ?) version from http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm . Also has openstreetmap info which is updated every fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I've been doing a bit of research and this Garmin GMAP 60CSx ticks all of the boxes for me. It has the high sensitivity receiver, it's waterproof, good battery life, mapping, etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-010-00422-01-GMAP-60CSx-Handheld/dp/B000FMLUXY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_3

I see it on pixmania.ie for €254.90. http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/313676/art/garmin/gpsmap-60csx-handheld-gps.html

There are good reviews of the product on cnet and amazon.

I would buy it in a bricks-and-mortar shop in Ireland, if the price was comparable, but from what I can see, they are way cheaper online.

Anyone know where I can buy this in Ireland for close to the online price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

would be very hard to beat online prices i got an oregon 450 in the summer and it was over €150 cheaper online

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Anyone know where I can buy this in Ireland for close to the online price?
    I doubt you can. The 60CSX is a relatively big yoke btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

duckysauce wrote: »
    would be very hard to beat online prices i got an oregon 450 in the summer and it was over €150 cheaper online

what's the main difference between Oregon 450 and 550? I did some research and fount that 550 has camera and slightly better battery life (plus better screen???)

and 550 is much more expensive. I think people should go for 450 rather than 550 unless u wanna use the camera..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

I have been through loads of GPS's, Most recently a Garmin Colorado which was terrible.

At last i took the plunge and bought a SatMap Active 10 with Battery pack and Irish mapping,

It beats every GPS hands down, It is genius and displays real OSI Maps on a big screen,

Check it out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The SatMap Active 10 looks sweet, I have to admit.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it? Did you pay extra for Irish mapping, and is it OS mapping?

The handy thing with the garmins is being able to use the free SMC maps.

This is where i bought it

http://www.mysatnav.ie/active10-roi

I got the mapping with it and bought the rechargeable battery pack also,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Dont know what happened the link.

Great Outdoors
    Garmin Oregon 450. Eire Discoverer included. €449.

I personnaly would be buying the Sat Map way over a Garmin but each to their own

I am going to buy one of these in the near future. I was sure the garmin was the better one. Will have to go back and study both again before I part with my cash.

Its up to you but PM with any questions etc and i have no bother answering them,

The SatMap is super well designed, Easy to use with gloves, Has a Hibernate mode which gives you 40 odd hours battery with the rechargeable pack etc,

I really like it and normally i am very picky about products,

If you do buy the Garmin one i would be very interested in hearing what you have to say about the mapping though as i have heard it is not normal OS mapping but i am not sure,

johnayo wrote: »

Actually I'm thinking about buying that Oregon 450.

is the Eire Discoverer great enough? what's the best irish topo map for Garmin handsets??

thanks

bump offen to ideas....:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement