Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

move old esb connection

Options
  • 09-08-2010 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

we have an old house where the esb connection is coming to the side of the house at the roof, joins the house and runs along the roof and then down and into the house at the porch. the house is unoccupied and we are lookig at rennovating. the esb was working until recently (1 year) but the line is damaged on the house and it is not working. we are still paying the bills when they come. we are looking at rennovation and moving the connection to the side of the house as would be the case with a new build. my question is who would have to pay for the new connection? the last pole where the power coems from is only about 20 yards from the house so it will not be a big problem to bury the power line from it to the house. i am just wondering will the esb charge for moving the connection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

You will have to pay. Most likely for a new service. You will have to apply and include a completion certificate to indicate the installation is up to standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

viztopia wrote: »
    the esb was working until recently (1 year) but the line is damaged on the house and it is not working. we are still paying the bills when they come.

Explain this part a bit more? You are getting bills still, but you dont have power?

If you still are connected, and power is on, you mightn't need to apply for a 'new service' as such, more of a alteration, its not a new house
    viztopia wrote: »
    we are looking at rennovation and moving the connection to the side of the house as would be the case with a new build.

You will have to duct from the new meter cabinet to the butt of the pole most likely with a rope inside it. You will probably have to pay something, but they want meters moved into the cabinets so i think they charge less for in cases like this. Their isnt much to do, bar run the new cable and connect at both ends so i couldn't see it costing a whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

thanks for all the replies. we are still getting a small bill evry month/2 months which covers the standing charge. we had an electrician looking at it the weekend and he seemed to think that we would have to pay the same as a new connection but it didnt make sense to me as there is alrady one there (although it is about 20 years old) i would have thought that the esb would be anxious to get us to move it given the state that it is in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

How to move a meter
    To arrange for a meter to be moved:

1.Call ESB Networks at 1850 372 757 and make a request to get your meter moved.

Note: When calling this number please quote the Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) for your connection. The MPRN number is a unique 11 digit reference number that tells us exactly where you are on the electricity network and is displayed on your bill.

2.We will send you a quotation (with a quotation number). You must attach a cheque made payable to "ESB Networks" and return it to: ESB Networks, Sean Mulvoy Road, Galway.

3.We will require an E.T.C.I. Certificate which will be provided by your electrical contractor on completion of the wiring to the new meter. A notification of this validated wiring certificate from your contractor's regulatory body must be received electronically by ESB Networks before work is started by us.
    For information on the requirements for your new meter location, please read the following document:
    Specification for Standard Non-Scheme Domestic Underground Service to an Outdoor Meter Cabinet (PDF | 132KB).
    or
    CallSave 1850 372 757 to request a copy.

You still need a registered to contrator involved but it should answer your questions

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mulholpa

Hi i am now in the same situation and was wondering how you got this resolved in the end?

Thanks Phil

• Advertisement
Advertisement