Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sram force groupset

• 09-08-2010 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Am looking at getting a sram force groupset, never used sram before so its a leap of faith.. im wondering hows it compares to the likes of chorus and ultegra both of which are kinda in the same price bracket

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

From a functional perspective it mainly comes down to whether you like DoubleTap or not.

Pros: short lever throw which works well with smaller hands, upshifting is incredible, looks good, generally compatible with Shimano.

Cons: if you run out of gears and go for another one, you can end up shifting up instead. This can be an issue when tired. Parts can be harder to source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I thought you had sram red im sure the difference is minial between them , i like the idea of it but never used it .. im giving it some serious thought

levitronix wrote: »
    I thought you had sram red im sure the difference is minial between them , i like the idea of it but never used it .. im giving it some serious thought

I've got Red on one bike and a Red/Force mix on the other (Red shifters, Force mechs). I vaguely recall there being some minor difference in trim function between SRAM groups, but that might just be Rival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I've got SRAM force on my focus and I'm a convert after shimano. Admittedly it is tiagra but the SRAM never slips on changes and if it's bling you're after...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I've force on my bike and I love it. Admittedly I have had some issues with mine over the last two weeks however I am still riding it and will be putting it on my next bike too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Just don't go racing your Spanish mate up a hill

Ryaner wrote: »
    I've force on my bike and I love it. Admittedly I have had some issues with mine over the last two weeks however I am still riding it and will be putting it on my next bike too.

Apart from the shifters, the chain and the brakes it's a brilliant groupset? :pac:

This morning I finally got around to sorting out the binding cranks issue on my Enigma (which was also the cause of my left crank falling off on holiday - I had to run it loose to keep the cranks spinning freely).

Turns out the GXP BB spacers are only required when the BB will be used with MTB cranks. I am absolutely convinced I followed the instructions on spacers properly, and I'm not the only one.
    The bottom bracket comes with two 1mm spacers and manual that came with crank and bb show that if your crank is 68mm you use both spacers and if its 73mm you don't use either.

Anyway, spacers now off, torqued all the way up to spec and spins perfectly.

In retrospect (and considering the way that SRAM cranks are designed) it it screamingly obvious that the binding issues were caused by unnecessary spacers making the bearings wider than the crankshaft, but if I had any mechanical instincts I'd be....a mechanic.

Lumen wrote: »

This morning I finally got around to sorting out the binding cranks issue on my Enigma (which was also the cause of my left crank falling off on holiday - I had to run it loose to keep the cranks spinning freely).

Turns out the GXP BB spacers are only required when the BB will be used with MTB cranks. I am absolutely convinced I followed the instructions on spacers properly, and I'm not the only one.

Anyway, spacers now off, torqued all the way up to spec and spins perfectly.

In retrospect (and considering the way that SRAM cranks are designed) it it screamingly obvious that the binding issues were caused by unnecessary spacers making the bearings wider than the crankshaft, but if I had any mechanical instincts I'd be....a mechanic.

I had the exact same problem when I first built my bike. When I was replacing the BB a few weeks back, I got our a ruler and going by the measurements, my bike should have the spacers on. I do think someone got something wrong in those instructions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Im kinda thinking compact for the sram force with a 11-23 for race wheels and 12-25 for trainning wheels

Always had standard 53-39 but i hardly use half the cassette in the big ring trainning, think i might become a convert ???

levitronix wrote: »
    Im kinda thinking compact for the sram force with a 11-23 for race wheels and 12-25 for trainning wheels

Always had standard 53-39 but i hardly use half the cassette in the big ring trainning, think i might become a convert ???

I've a compact on currently with an 11-28 on the back. In the 5 races I've done so far, I've yet to drop to the small ring on the front however I have spun out!
    Plan on switching to a standard early next year although will be keeping the compact for training. Its just simpler.

• Advertisement
Advertisement