Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will soon be living with strangers

• 09-08-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, im male,27 years old and single, but i have never lived completely with strangers, it has always been with a friend or friends and then maybe on rare occasions with a stranger added to it.
    My problem now is, im living with 2 friends, one who will be moving to another county, and another who is in a very serious relationship, he has half hinted before about him and his girlfriend moving in together so really its only a matter of time before i end up living with strangers.
    Im just wondering has anyone hear had to deal with this? I.e. moving from friends to strangers. The three of us at the moment have it perfect in terms of easy going. We all watch the same things on telly, we all have a mutual standard for cleanliness(fairly clean tbh), and we can take each others things as long as we replace them which is fair enough.

Im just dreading the idea of living with a load of people I dont know, and having issues like whats mentioned above.
    Im fairly sure im easy to live with but I hate being landed with people that arent.
    Just wondering have others made that change from friends to strangers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

There is a transition to be made, and it is one a lot of people dislike but ultimately benefit from. If you move in with strangers, you have to keep your own possessions in your room (tidy up after yourself) develop routines or rotas re cooking and cleaning and also practise basic courtesy, such as TV kept low and parties/overnight guests usually kept to the weekend. It's like adjusting to work, ultimately it will do you good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Moving in with strangers isn't tough at all, imo.

Just keep up healthy communication and make agreements regarding who cleans what and when or who buys what household necessities and when, i.e. toilet paper, dishwasher tablets, etc.

The main thing is communication. Imo, it's easier to communicate with someone new if there is a problem. You wouldn't want to offend a friend and risk damaging a relationship by saying they should clean up more, etc. but with someone new it's a lot easier.

You can also make a new friend with a stranger so don't be worried about that. Just make sure that right from the start, you have a good communication with the person you're living with. That way it'll be easier to make arrangements and talk about problems if they arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Hi, im male,27 years old and single

Oooh I'd see it as a great opportunity to meet new people. I'd avoid scoring housemates at all costs but if you move in with a couple of blokes you get on well with it will expand your social circle and give you the opportunity to maybe meet a nice young lassie:)

It will do you good to move out of your comfort, seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've done it and have made some good friends from it. You will of course see horror stories on forums like this one when sharing goes wrong but you'll never hear about all the ones that work out fine. The main thing I'd say to you is go with your gut feeling and go into it with an open mind. Good luck :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Avoid moving in with couples.
    So, so many threads on boards on this issue but it's best avoided if possible.

If you move in with some people in around your own age, instantly your social circle is expanded. Head out for a drink during the first week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the advice everyone , makes me feel a bit more ok about the situation. It probably would be a good idea to meet new people too, ive noticed I have become very dependent on my mates for any bit of a social life these days.
    Also, good advice about not moving with couples. Ive experienced that before , and even though it was friends it still didnt work.

Cheers, yer posts helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Firetrap wrote: »
    but you'll never hear about all the ones that work out fine.

So so true!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Moved into a house 5 years ago with three strangers - one by one who moved out to relocate, get married etc (I started off there during a long college course) and were replaced with 3 more strangers - have made lifelong friends with all and now couldn't imagine not being friends with the current bunch - its a great opportunity so embrace it!!

Advertisement