Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nova launch date

• 09-08-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

What day and time will the launch take place and will it be available Live online?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

AFAIK, it's first thing in the morning on Monday August 30th (although this is TBC) - and yes, it should be streamed online. They'll be doing test transmissions before that, of course.

[EDIT] Correction: launch date appears to be Wednesday September 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

And "an insider" tells me there'll be a big surprise!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Tony Fenton?!

Naw! BIGGER!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Gerry Ryan on breakfast?

• Advertisement

Meh... not quite that big... I like your thinking though!

I still wouldn't listen to GR if that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Badabing wrote: »
    Tony Fenton?!
    Naw! BIGGER!;)

A bigger twat than TF.......i dont think so....now that GR is quiet...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Not from what I hear. They're primarily ex 2fm and today fm with a couple of 80s names. Why the fascination with some of them beats me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sundaypapers

I'm getting worried by how often the publisher of VIP magazine is calling it right these days...

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/michael-odoherty-yet-another-radio-licencehave-we-finally-gone-gaga-2285250.html
    Shamelessly playing on the affection that its target audience still has for the original Radio Nova, the new station threatens to be little more than the bands it plans to feature -- a distant, sad evocation of the great days of Irish broadcasting, when Jason Maine and Bob Gallico ruled the airwaves on Nova and Q102, and over on Radio Dublin, DJs with flat Dublin accents hilariously mispronounced bands' names, answered the phones themselves to take requests, and Kevin Barrett's Top Seven Smoochies featured an almost nightly airing of Bobby Goldsborough's Honey, and Morris Albert's Feelings.

• Advertisement

I'm getting worried by how often the publisher of VIP magazine is calling it right these days...

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/michael-odoherty-yet-another-radio-licencehave-we-finally-gone-gaga-2285250.html

I don't work with Nova or have a connection with it but I'm sick to the teeth with this rubbish. Chris Carey and his illegal station were by no means the first to use the name Nova.

What I do understand is that the name is a tribute to Carey.

Incidentally Sybil Fennell may be Nova's biggest publicity maker as we speak. Dooooh !

Btr wrote: »
    I don't work with Nova or have a connection with it but I'm sick to the teeth with this rubbish. Chris Carey and his illegal station were by no means the first to use the name Nova.

What I do understand is that the name is a tribute to Carey.

Incidentally Sybil Fennell may be Nova's biggest publicity maker as we speak. Dooooh !

Schedule is out and personally i think it's bland. All voices v similar and no after midnight announced

MONDAY – FRIDAY

6.00am – 10.00am Nova @ Breakfast w/Pat Courtney
    10.00am – 2.00pm Greg Gaughran
    2.00pm – 6.00pm Marty Miller
    6.00pm – 7.00pm The Rock Report w/Thomas Walsh
    7.00pm – Midnight Nova Nights w/Enda Murphy

SATURDAY

6.00am – 8.00am Toys for Boyz w/Greg Gaughran
    8.00am – 10.00am Nova @ Breakfast – Reheated
    10.00am – 2.00pm Marty Miller
    2.00pm –6.00pm Rock N Goal Show w Mike Maloney
    6.00pm – 8.00pm Weekends with Wakeman w/Rick Wakeman
    8.00pm - Midnight Carol Dooley

SUNDAY

6.00am – 8.00am Luascadh de Domhnaigh w/ Robbie Foy
    8.00am – 10.00am Flashback w/ Breffni Clack
    10.00am -12noon Breakfast With The Beatles w/ Hugh O’Brien
    12noon – 2.00pm Enda Murphy
    2.00pm – 6.00pm Rock n Goal Show – w Mike Maloney
    6.00pm - Midnight Sunday School
    6.00pm – 8.00pm Locals Only - Carol Dooley w/ Barry Egan
    8.00-10.00pm Rock Classics w/ Steve Downes
    10.00pm – 1.00am Off The Record w/Pat James

Bland indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Ah, I don't know, the daytime presenters look grand to me - there's just the three - Courtney, Gaughran and Miller. I enjoy those guys, I'll definately give that a listen.
    Of course, it'll live or die by the music.

Marty Miller is an awful dj. Bad choice nova!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Who is it Lenny, cos I don't see any big suprise on the schedule posted today for the station below!

robo wrote: »
    Who is it Lenny, cos I don't see any big suprise on the schedule posted today for the station below!

You were expecting Mike Maloney were you? And Rick Wakeman? (You do know who they are don't you R.B?

Must've taken them a long time to sift through all those job applictions to come to their final decision. Assuming their lineup all sent in CVs and demos as requested...

You were expecting Mike Maloney were you? And Rick Wakeman? (You do know who they are don't you R.B?

Must've taken them a long time to sift through all those job applictions to come to their final decision. Assuming their lineup all sent in CVs and demos as requested...

Yeh I do...absolutely loved Moloney After Midnight in the 90's but I thought that there were big movements from other stations...and I wouldn't include filler-in Marty Miller from TodayFM as a big mover.

Yeh I do...absolutely loved Moloney After Midnight in the 90's but I thought that there were big movements from other stations...and I wouldn't include filler-in Marty Miller from TodayFM as a big mover.
    Did I say there was a going to be a big movement from another station? I don't think I did. Anyway Rick Wakeman is a pretty big catch for them too. it should be interesting 'cos he's not very articulate generally. I expect it's syndicated.

Did I say there was a going to be a big movement from another station? I don't think I did. Anyway Rick Wakeman is a pretty big catch for them too. I expect it's syndicated.
    Not exactly but I kinda thought there might be...sorry ;)

• Advertisement

Not exactly but I kinda thought there might be...sorry ;)
    No probs! Rick will be able to compare notes with Greg as they've had similar life experiences too!!;)

Ah right...say no more! :rolleyes:

The Nova staff Christmas party should be a hoot!!:D

On a different note - only 2 female presenters! Good to see Nova taking the same position as all other music stations :rolleyes:

On a different note - only 2 female presenters! Good to see Nova taking the same position as all other music stations :rolleyes:
    2? I thought there was only one? Carol Dooley. Maybe the women would be afraid to go near it!!:D

2? I thought there was only one? Carol Dooley. Maybe the women would be afraid to go near it!!:D

Breffni Clack - she used to present the Love music show on a Friday night on Today FM in the late 90's

Rock is a man's game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Fago! wrote: »
    MONDAY – FRIDAY

6.00am – 10.00am Nova @ Breakfast w/Pat Courtney
    10.00am – 2.00pm Greg Gaughran
    2.00pm – 6.00pm Marty Miller
    6.00pm – 7.00pm The Rock Report w/Thomas Walsh
    7.00pm – Midnight Nova Nights w/Enda Murphy

SATURDAY

6.00am – 8.00am Toys for Boyz w/Greg Gaughran
    8.00am – 10.00am Nova @ Breakfast – Reheated
    10.00am – 2.00pm Marty Miller
    2.00pm –6.00pm Rock N Goal Show w Mike Maloney
    6.00pm – 8.00pm Weekends with Wakeman w/Rick Wakeman
    8.00pm - Midnight Carol Dooley

SUNDAY

6.00am – 8.00am Luascadh de Domhnaigh w/ Robbie Foy
    8.00am – 10.00am Flashback w/ Breffni Clack
    10.00am -12noon Breakfast With The Beatles w/ Hugh O’Brien
    12noon – 2.00pm Enda Murphy
    2.00pm – 6.00pm Rock n Goal Show – w Mike Maloney
    6.00pm - Midnight Sunday School
    6.00pm – 8.00pm Locals Only - Carol Dooley w/ Barry Egan
    8.00-10.00pm Rock Classics w/ Steve Downes
    10.00pm – 1.00am Off The Record w/Pat James

It could be an interesting exercise to look at the previous radio experience of the presenters lineup for Radio Nova.

The most obvious place to start is previous experience in playing exclusively rock music on the radio.
    So here is what I have for rock radio:
    * Pat Courtenay had short entertainment-type news slots during the first run of temporary-licenced 949 The Rock. Any more for him?
    * Apparently, according to of these boards/forums, Greg Gaughren had a rock show on '80s pirate Kiss FM. He was a presenter on Rock104 (now called FM104), which was rock-oriented rather than always rock. Any since?
    * Marty Miller presented "Dad Rock" on Sunday nights on Today FM - a classic rock show.
    *I think Thomas Walsh, along with "Duck Lewis Method" comrade Neil Hannon, was a guest presenter on 2FM, which I think was a rock music program.
    *Enda Murphy was with Rock104 (see above). More telling though, he was a presenter for both licence runs of 949 The Rock.
    *Rick Wakeman, as well as being a celebrated musician, is a broadcaster. In particular, he is a presenter on U.K. rock station Planet Rock. I heard him in action on UPC's Digital Radio selection.
    *Nova's PD Carol Dooley broadcast for nine years with, as well as running, KISM on the U.S. west coast, near Seattle (I think). This is a classic rock station.
    *Pat James. What can you say about this guy? He had rock shows on Dublin pirates from the late '70s to the late '80s: Radio Dublin, ARD/Radio 257 and Southside FM. He was also with alternative rock leaning '80s pirate Capitol Radio in its early days. And, out of the blue, a couple of years ago he turns up on the second licence run of 949 The Rock.

What are the rock radio credentials of Mike Maloney, Hugh O'Brien and Breffni Clack?

Moving along... here are some other sources of experience:
    People who were with 98FM at one time or another: Pat Courtenay (mainly doing breakfast), Greg Gaughren, Marty Miller and Enda Murphy.

People who were with Lite FM/Q102 at one time or another: Hugh O'Brien (Lite), Mike Maloney (Lite) and Marty Miller (Q102).

People who were with Dublin's Country Mix 106.8 at one time or another: Hugh O'Brien, Mike Maloney and Greg Gaughren.

People with national radio experience: Greg (Century Radio), Marty (Today FM), Enda (2FM), Mike Maloney (2FM), Breffni (Today FM) and Hugh (2FM and Century Radio).

There is the superpirates experience, with the previous Radio Nova being particularly regular:
    * Pat Courtenay - Radio Nova, Sunshine Radio and Energy 103
    * Greg Gaughren - Sunshine Radio (apparently briefly), Kiss FM, Radio Nova and Q102
    * Mike Maloney - Kiss FM and Radio Nova(AFAIK)
    * Hugh O'Brien - Radio Nova
    * Carol Dooley - Q102

Finally, does anyone know anything about Robbie Foy and Steve Downes, and has journalist Barry Egan any previous radio experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Jaysus Declan, could you not expand it just a little bit more!!! What are you getting at, like?

• Advertisement

So its all the "big" names in the weekday slots with all the "unknown's" at the w/ends....I for one wont be listening to Wakeman's show , i've heard enough of him on PR to know that he's self-centered an only funny in HIS head...loves talking about himself and only plays music that he likes..mostly YES or ABWH...:rolleyes:
    Isnt Pat James the guy who discovered U2...and not Dave Fanny........;)..a wealth of knowledge and music and only gets a 3hr slot on a sunday night..criminal..

Pat Courtney 7-12 ..EVERY night.....thats a lot of PC tbh imo..:(

10-12 breakfast with the Beatles....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Sids Not wrote: »

Pat Courtney 7-12 ..EVERY night.....thats a lot of PC tbh imo..:(

Eh.....Pat's on Brekky! :confused:

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Eh.....Pat's on Brekky! :confused:

Soz...i was very tired this morning....:o....i meant Enda Murphy of course ,silly....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Jim Jim Nugent???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anyone been listening to the test broadcasts? Music has been good so far anyhow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

As always its fun to guess who will be the first to quit or be axed from a new station. Wasnt Damien Kiberd the first to go from 4fm? My money would be on Marty for Nova. He never seems to stay more than a year any where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

GSF wrote: »
    As always its fun to guess who will be the first to quit or be axed from a new station. Wasnt Damien Kiberd the first to go from 4fm? My money would be on Marty for Nova. He never seems to stay more than a year any where.

That is a wee bit unfair on Marty Miller- he didn't always move so quickly between stations. His first stint with Today FM lasted more than four years if I am not mistaken - from 1998 to 2002. Initially, Marty Miller was doing community noticebord announcements when I first heard him on Today FM. He was one of the first of the new voices when Radio Ireland changed its name in early January 1998. Ultimately, as I said earlier in this thread, he was to present "Dad Rock" on Today FM. When he left for Spin103 (part of the original lineup), this began a few moves by Marty around stations. But, did he not last longer than a year in Spin, anyway?

Hold on, 2002 to 2010 - Spin, Q102, 98FM and Today FM again - 8 years, 4 stations. He has to have spent more than one year on at least one of those, if you do the maths. on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Fago! wrote: »
    Rock is a man's game!

Oi :mad:;)

I'm lovin' the music so far. I remember the original Nova and sure this wont be the same but it's a vast improvement from the rest of what's on offer at the moment.

As long as they keep to the music they are playing now....well they could lose U2, Billy Idol and Inxs but the classic Rock is music to my tired/abused years. They could add in a bit of Iron Maiden/Motorhead if they wanted to go more metal if anything.

I filled out one of the song surveys and the only thing I had an issue with were the bands mentioned above which dont really fit in with the rest of the stuff which is vintage rock. I also noticed they mentioned a few Coldplay/Killers/Kaiser Chiefs/Kings of Leon/Strokes songs. I would hate to see that type of sh!t included.

I don't understand why they think Rock/metal fans would be interested in hearing that.

Oi :mad:;)I don't understand why they think Rock/metal fans would be interested in hearing that.

Wasnt of the knowledge that it was going to be confined to Rock/Metal....
    I may not be a big fan of the groups you've mentioned but i'd have no objections to them being played....
    I for one dont mind a bit of indy, reggae,punk ,new-wave,metal, ..if fact most of the stuff they're playing on the test.....keep it up i say..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Anyone been listening to the test broadcasts? Music has been good so far anyhow!

was listening in on the way to the pub on saturday night and they played iron maidens "bring your daughter to the slaugter " !

:):):)

jesus i cant remember any station playing em in years. im not a huge rock fan but by god ive been enjoying tuning into these test transmissions.

if they can keep this up ill be tuning in ,if only to get away from the repetitous pap thats being pumped out by the other stations. its got seriously homogenised out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

TBH my perfect combination would be rock music from late 70's to early 90's plus some alternative rock, a bit of hard rock, plus a bit of 80's pop, not the mad cheesy stuff but the good 80's music.

• Advertisement

Listened a bit today..very mellow..lots of Steely Dan, Michael Mc Donald....almost sounded a bit ...dare i say it....Jazzy............:o

Advertisement