Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The first time

• 09-08-2010 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Went out for a spin in Wicklow yesterday morning. The sun shone and all was right with the world. Despite my occasional solo charge up Howth Hill, I'm not really into cycling for numbers, super fitness or feats of endurance. The weight loss, the mini-achievements and the technical jiggery-pokery are nice but for me it's really about getting out into the countryside and having a good nose about.

Yesterday I was on four separate bits of road I hadn't been on before. With the sun shining on the mountains and no idea what was around the next bend, my inner adventurous child was very happy with himself.

The back road from Enniskerry to Laragh was lovely and quiet, even if the climbs were tough. The road from the Wicklow Gap through Valleymount to Blessington is stunning. There are no limits to my lack of preparation so I was totally surpised to come around the corner and see the lakes below me. I hadn't done the Sally Gap from the Manor Kilbride side before - the wooded approach was lovely and the final steep bit thankfully short. I went from Glencree back to Enniskerry past Crone Woods and the gates of the Powerscourt Waterfall. This was a nice descent where the potholes were at least mainly on the other side of the road.

The problem now is that I will be surprised no more in the Wicklow Mountains as I have now done pretty much all of the high roads. How long does it take to get to the Cooleys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

The Cooleys are stunning and less than an hour away in the car.

I don't really know the route but the climb up to the mast is a tough one with great views at the top.

The descents aren't super fast as the roads are in bad condition with potholes, loose shale, gravel and sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Was out for a cycle around Wicklow yesterday also, beautiful day at last. Went up through the Wicklow Gap on the way home and saw a dead sheep on the side of the road, looks like it was only hit that day.
    There's a lovely bit of road actually between Arklow and Rathdrum, first time on this road and it's gradually uphill but has a nice smooth surface. Wicklow really is a great place for cycling, it has it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Have been doing something similar myself except around NCD lots of side roads to explore and different routes to end up back at the same place, would love to head to wicklow but the small hill around Naul are killing me at the moment.
    Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

... but for me it's really about getting out into the countryside and having a good nose about.

Yesterday I was on four separate bits of road I hadn't been on before. With the sun shining on the mountains and no idea what was around the next bend, my inner adventurous child was very happy with himself.

And this is why I'm sick to death of living in London. Looking forward to getting home at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

And this is why i'm dreading moving home to London in a few months :(:(:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement