Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Font

Options
  • 09-08-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just wondering what font you used for your theses? I'm currently using Arial Unicode MS which I think reads fairly well. Any thoughts on it? We didnt get any advice from the school for which font to select. What did you use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

personally I DESPISE Arial, but that's a personal thing.

I always think Bookman old is lovely, or else stick with the tried and tested Times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I also hate Arial, but I agree its a thing of personal taste, unless you want to use something silly. Personally I always stick with Times NR. There are a couple of other similar fonts that would work. Just keep it simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

With regards to the arial choice, I read that you are supposed to use a serif font, as it makes it easier to read. I'm currently using Garamond. Looks nice, but it's pants at italics :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

With regards to the arial choice, I read that you are supposed to use a serif font, as it makes it easier to read. I'm currently using Garamond. Looks nice, but it's pants at italics :(

Just looking at the UCD site and they recommend a sans serif font such as Arial, Tahoma and Helvetica, guess every university is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Just looking at the UCD site and they recommend a sans serif font such as Arial, Tahoma and Helvetica, guess every university is different.

Really? And here's me in ucd telling different. The reason I thought you were'nt supposed to use sans serif's is due to the fact that they make the brain more tired when reading, since the letters aren't as easily recognisable, but I'm no expert so could definitely be wrong. From a personal perspective, I just don't like sans- fonts, they just seem to lifeless, if that makes sense? Makes whatever you've written seem like robotic instructions rather that the toils of some poor post-grad.

Also, whereabouts on the ucd site did you see this? I should probably stick to their guidelines before submitting at the end of the month (hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mono627

Times NR ftw! IMO the most professional looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Really? And here's me in ucd telling different. The reason I thought you were'nt supposed to use sans serif's is due to the fact that they make the brain more tired when reading, since the letters aren't as easily recognisable, but I'm no expert so could definitely be wrong. From a personal perspective, I just don't like sans- fonts, they just seem to lifeless, if that makes sense? Makes whatever you've written seem like robotic instructions rather that the toils of some poor post-grad.

Also, whereabouts on the ucd site did you see this? I should probably stick to their guidelines before submitting at the end of the month (hopefully)

Must depend on faculty. School of Law requires that you use Times New Roman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Check your department guidelines, best thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

Hello,

Just wondering what font you used for your theses? I'm currently using Arial Unicode MS which I think reads fairly well. Any thoughts on it? We didnt get any advice from the school for which font to select. What did you use?

I also think Arial Unicode MS is the best. It's much better than the standard Arial font which seems to be unpopular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    I also think Arial Unicode MS is the best. It's much better than the standard Arial font which seems to be unpopular.

Nice to hear something positive, I'm handing in this baby tomorrow! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I don't get it, what's the biggest difference between arial and arial unicode ms?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

I used New Century Schoolbook, and was happy with the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

El Siglo wrote: »
    I don't get it, what's the biggest difference between arial and arial unicode ms?

There is none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Usually you can't go wrong wth Times New Roman. Seeing as your supervisor is going to be one of the people reading your dissertation you might want to ask him/her. That's what I did with mine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

There is none.

Is it a case of six of one, a half a dozen of the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

El Siglo wrote: »
    Is it a case of six of one, a half a dozen of the other.

Fire up MS Office and you'll see there certainly is a difference. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The Dept. of Political Science and Sociology have very vague 'rules' on all of this; I used Helvetica because it's most readable and looks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shalashaska

As many people have already pointed out, Times New Roman is generally accepted as the 'default' font for theses across most third-level institutes. And, speaking from experience, it didn't seem to be a problem since I just found out that my research masters thesis passed today :).

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Comic Sans, and don't forget plenty of clip-art.

Advertisement