Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showing someone around Dublin...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

It depends on what your friend wants to see. Museums, galleries at all ? The National Gallery of Ireland is a must see for any tourist imo, the Moma would take a 2nd place to that, I'd definitely add to that Kilmainham Jail, Collins Barracks Museum etc

I think open top bus tours are a good starting point for a quick orientation of the layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

agree with Morlar - the red city sightseeing tour is a good one imo. i've done it a couple of times with friends.

if you want to see somewhere in more detail, or you want to stretch your legs a bit, then walk to the next stop (you get a map of them).

fully recommend kilmainham gaol, and the grounds of the royal kilmainham hospital are fantastic as well for a stroll

jameson distillery is great, i'd be inclined to put it higher on the list than the storehouse but everyone wants to see guinness so what can you do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Morlar wrote: »
    It depends on what your friend wants to see. Museums, galleries at all ? The National Gallery of Ireland is a must see for any tourist imo, the Moma would take a 2nd place to that, I'd definitely add to that Kilmainham Jail, Collins Barracks Museum etc

I think open top bus tours are a good starting point for a quick orientation of the layout.
    ciagr297 wrote: »
    agree with Morlar - the red city sightseeing tour is a good one imo. i've done it a couple of times with friends.

if you want to see somewhere in more detail, or you want to stretch your legs a bit, then walk to the next stop (you get a map of them).

fully recommend kilmainham gaol, and the grounds of the royal kilmainham hospital are fantastic as well for a stroll

jameson distillery is great, i'd be inclined to put it higher on the list than the storehouse but everyone wants to see guinness so what can you do :)

I reckon shes fairly open minded and would be interested in everything. Appreciate the suggestions. Not sure about the open top bus idea, maybe a bit too touristy...and I know my way around anyway. Also, its an extra thing to pay for. James Gate, Kilmainham and the Jameson Distillery (Ive never been, is it really worth going to?) are all pay in also.

Revised route:

Wexford Street
    Stephens Green
    Merrion Square (National gallery of Ireland - also maybe the Natural history museum. Any good?)
    Up Nassau street/Dawson street
    Grafton street
    Trinity College
    O Connell street
    Luas to James gate
    kilmainham jail
    Luas back to Abbey street
    Up quays to Ha'penny bridge
    Temple bar
    Dame Street (maybe Dublin Castle/Chester Beaty Library)
    Georges street arcade
    Wexford street

[edit] Ive just realized that the Fringe Festival is on while shes over here so maybe could go to something in that.

Not sure about the open top bus idea, maybe a bit too touristy...and I know my way around anyway
    tbh, its not about whether its touristy or not, but it has all the commentary that even if you know your way around you won't know.
    but it is 16 euro for a 2 day pass and if you only plan on being in town one of the days anyway......
    Also, its an extra thing to pay for.James Gate, Kilmainham and the Jameson Distillery (Ive never been, is it really worth going to?) are all pay in also.
    personally, i wasn't too impressed with Guinness (and I like my pint of guinness) cause i just didn't feel "engaged" with the exhibition, so I recommend to most people to consider the Jameson distillery as well. plus its right on the red luas line next to Museum stop....but if cost is an issue, i reckon Guinness always wins

you know Kilmainham Gaol is pay in, right? unless you plan on pacing the perimeter only :D
    there is a facebook group on free stuff to do in dublin. dunno the exact name but you are on FB, have a look for it
    Revised route:
    Wexford Street
    Stephens Green
    Merrion Square (National gallery of Ireland - also maybe the Natural history museum. Any good?)
    Up Nassau street/Dawson street
    Grafton street
    Trinity College
    O Connell street
    Luas to James gate
    kilmainham jail
    Luas back to Abbey street
    Up quays to Ha'penny bridge
    Temple bar
    Dame Street (maybe Dublin Castle/Chester Beaty Library)
    Georges street arcade
    Wexford street

[edit] Ive just realized that the Fringe Festival is on while shes over here so maybe could go to something in that.
    remember to have a pint in the dawson lounge!!
    i've heard some good things about the natural history museum - apparently they have some interesting exhibitions from time to time.

only thing, i wouldn't leave visiting the gaol too late, check the times cause i have a feeling the last tour is at 4 or something

ciagr297 wrote: »
    tbh, its not about whether its touristy or not, but it has all the commentary that even if you know your way around you won't know.
    but it is 16 euro for a 2 day pass and if you only plan on being in town one of the days anyway......

personally, i wasn't too impressed with Guinness (and I like my pint of guinness) cause i just didn't feel "engaged" with the exhibition, so I recommend to most people to consider the Jameson distillery as well. plus its right on the red luas line next to Museum stop....but if cost is an issue, i reckon Guinness always wins

you know Kilmainham Gaol is pay in, right? unless you plan on pacing the perimeter only :D
    there is a facebook group on free stuff to do in dublin. dunno the exact name but you are on FB, have a look for it

remember to have a pint in the dawson lounge!!
    i've heard some good things about the natural history museum - apparently they have some interesting exhibitions from time to time.

only thing, i wouldn't leave visiting the gaol too late, check the times cause i have a feeling the last tour is at 4 or something

Yeah I know Kilmainham Gaol is pay in. Thats not a problem. I just dont know if I could justify paying into both Guinness and Jemson, maybe a bit samey and would have a combined cost of almost 30 quid. Ive never been in the Dawson Lounge, is it good ?

The Fringe Festival website hasnt updated since 2009 but it is mentioned on other websites as being on in September 2010 strangley enough. A good show would be ideal, as they are generally cheap enough also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Howth is pretty cool, I was out there for the first time in years over the bank holiday and there are some lovely restaurants and bars around the seafront. If you guys are in anyway sporty it's a lovely cycle out along the coast and back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dublin castle and the chester beatty is well worth it...if you're over the nortsoide, you have the old reservoir park and the garden of remembrance. Also St Michans possibly.

Guinness Storehouse is an expensive rip off IMO.

Tusky wrote: »
    Yeah I know Kilmainham Gaol is pay in. Thats not a problem. I just dont know if I could justify paying into both Guinness and Jemson, maybe a bit samey and would have a combined cost of almost 30 quid. Ive never been in the Dawson Lounge, is it good ?

The Fringe Festival website hasnt updated since 2009 but it is mentioned on other websites as being on in September 2010 strangley enough. A good show would be ideal, as they are generally cheap enough also.
    Dawson lounge is unique, smallest pub in dublin or something. its got carpet on the floor and mirrors on the ceiling and about the size of your average bathroom:D

I tend to agree with Bambi on the storehouse, but each to their own and usually Guinness wins out by sheer reputation

if you are passing the IFI in temple bar, maybe you can ask them about the fringe festival. i haven't seen any ads for it so i don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Hugh Lane Gallery hasn't been mentioned. As for food, Epicurean Centre off Abbey St, some of the places in there are doing great value all you can eat, think the Italian place is all you can eat for €10.

prinz wrote: »
    Hugh Lane Gallery hasn't been mentioned. As for food, Epicurean Centre off Abbey St, some of the places in there are doing great value all you can eat, think the Italian place is all you can eat for €10.
    completely forgot about the Epicurean Food Hall - there's a place that does great falafels...and very good value, near the jervis luas stop as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I would recommend Malahide not Howth. Or do both. I think they have an offer for unlimited dart travel for one day for ten Euro

I'm a big fan of the Epicurian food hall but may need to bring her somewhere a tad nicer. We'll deffo go to Chester Beaty.
    I would recommend Malahide not Howth. Or do both. I think they have an offer for unlimited dart travel for one day for ten Euro

Why Malahide above Howth ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Why Malahide above Howth ?

good question, I would have put Howth above Malahide on a list of places to visit too.
    I had a visitor once to show around and out of all the places I showed in Dublin, the Guinness Storehouse was the big one for her, maybe because Guinness is well known internationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Howth is much bigger with more to see and do.

I am neutral on this howth v malahide thing but last time I was in howth it was jam packed (think Glendalough on a bank holiday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Important point that. There are plenty of places away from the harbour which are not packed. However, if the day is good and it's the weekend, get the DART out, otherwise you'll be stuck in traffic for a very long time.

I'm less familiar with the South side towns. Would any of them trump Howth ? Dalkey etc ?

I'm less familiar with the South side towns. Would any of them trump Howth ? Dalkey etc ?

If you know your way around there are some nice nooks and crannies out the monkstown/dun laoghaire/killiney/Bray direction. Personally with a car a jaunt out to the sugarloaf or Wicklow in general is well, well worth the effort but this is probably getting away from the op's time limit and 'only public transport' rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

throwing in my auld two cent as someone who isn't from Dublin but has lived here for a few years.....visitors always seem to like stephens green - if its packed, iveagh gardens are another less well known but still central place to spend some time resting your feet and enjoying a takeaway coffee.

Jamson wins over Guiness for me everytime and get her to volunteer at the start of the tour when they ask - its to be a taste tester at the end but they don't tell ya that when they ask.

I love the national history museum on kildare street and the hugh lane art gallery - both are free so if ya end up not liking it no harm done. Same goes for Collins Barracks and any of the national museums around the city.

This group on facebook has things to do that don't involve drinking - often they also don't involve paying http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1165425872959#!/group.php?gid=112969142051871

For food - I love the organic market in Temple Bar on a Saturday, or the new market down at the point on saturdays and sundays.

In general soaking up atmosphere - make sure you wander through georges arcade, and all those little streets between there and grafton st - great place to stop for a coffee as well.

Getting out of Dublin, Dun Laoghaire isn't bad but Dalkey/Killiney is far nicer - and you can visit the castle in Dalkey if that's your thing.

Have fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brian_dub

I'd say jameson as well. No where near as packed as Guinness.

There is also a new Farmer's market down next to the O2 at the weekend. Haven't been myself but I heard good things about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement