Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibiscus when not in flower?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm looking at the hibiscus that are coming into lidl and aldi this week.

they look very pretty and I'm tempted to plant some in my new garden. However, the garden is small (5x10m2) so space is at the optimum.

I was wondering what they look like when they're not in flower? Are they "worth" the space in terms of foliage?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Hi guys,
    I'm looking at the hibiscus that are coming into lidl and aldi this week.

they look very pretty and I'm tempted to plant some in my new garden. However, the garden is small (5x10m2) so space is at the optimum.

I was wondering what they look like when they're not in flower? Are they "worth" the space in terms of foliage?
    In a word, No! Very untidy, gangly plants. Depending on where you live, it can be May before they even start into leaf. Their saving grace is the pretty flowers and the fact they flower over a long period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

bmaxi wrote: »
    In a word, No! Very untidy, gangly plants. Depending on where you live, it can be May before they even start into leaf. Their saving grace is the pretty flowers and the fact they flower over a long period.

Thanks for that! Space is precious in my garden so this answers my question perfectly.

Advertisement