Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock beach works?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

Hadn't been down there for a couple of weeks, and upon my return I noticed that the beach seemed to have been "landscaped". Anyone else notice this?

There seems to be a definite two-tier effect to the sand on the south end, and there are many many more of those little trapped water/inlet/lagoon type things, if you know what I mean...

There's a newly placed lifeguard hut and bins there, so I was wondering if the council did some landscaping at the same time. Or is even beginning to remove sand for winter gritting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Hadn't been down there for a couple of weeks, and upon my return I noticed that the beach seemed to have been "landscaped". Anyone else notice this?

There seems to be a definite two-tier effect to the sand on the south end, and there are many many more of those little trapped water/inlet/lagoon type things, if you know what I mean...

There's a newly placed lifeguard hut and bins there, so I was wondering if the council did some landscaping at the same time. Or is even beginning to remove sand for winter gritting?

I don't know of any landscaping and I was down there on Sunday. Maybe I missed it?

The Council don't remove sand from beaches for anything. Believe it or not, its illegal to remove sand from the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I don't know of any landscaping and I was down there on Sunday. Maybe I missed it?

The Council don't remove sand from beaches for anything. Believe it or not, its illegal to remove sand from the beach.

It could have been just wind/wave action, but it seemed so radically different than the last time I was there. Again, it's the south end of the beach I was at.

I knew sand removal by ordinary folks is illegal, but I sort of assumed that a Council could remove sand!

It could have been just wind/wave action, but it seemed so radically different than the last time I was there. Again, it's the south end of the beach I was at.

I knew sand removal by ordinary folks is illegal, but I sort of assumed that a Council could remove sand!

Apparently, we get our gritting sand from Northern Ireland or Northern Spain. After the mess last March we have a considerable supply, I'm told.

I'm not sure if this is true but I was told all the sand in Ireland (on beaches I assume) belongs to the Minister for Finance, not the Government or the people but specifically, the Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I'm not sure if this is true but I was told all the sand in Ireland (on beaches I assume) belongs to the Minister for Finance, not the Government or the people but specifically, the Minister.

Ah, that explains it: he'll be using it to fill a great big hole, so...

Ah, that explains it: he'll be using it to fill a great big hole, so...

Now that you mention it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement