Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundant and going back to college, what am i entitled to??

Options
  • 09-08-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi
    I was made redundant at the end of last year and i am going to go back to college this autumn. The course costs approximately €16,000 for the 4 years. My husband works and therefore i will loose my social welfare payment from stamps when my year is up. Does anyone know what i will be entitled to? Is it just that i can claim back the tax (approx 20%) or is there anything else i can claim for?
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have you been to college before, availed of the free fees? Have you applied for the maintenance grant?
    Where have you applied to go to college? Look at www.studentfinance.ie
    If you've been awarded statutory redundancy under Irish legislation, you can have immediate access to the BTEA if you have a current qualifying payment. Look into this immediately on www.welfare.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

You wont be able to claim the dole anyway as if you attend college you are no longer considered available and actively seeking work so they cut people enrolled in college off.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Flowerbud wrote: »
    Hi
    I was made redundant at the end of last year and i am going to go back to college this autumn. The course costs approximately €16,000 for the 4 years. My husband works and therefore i will loose my social welfare payment from stamps when my year is up. Does anyone know what i will be entitled to? Is it just that i can claim back the tax (approx 20%) or is there anything else i can claim for?

When did you sign on, and was it statutory redundancy you received?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Flowerbud

I signed on last november and i received a statutory payment + a payment from the company. I don't think i would qualify for a grant as it would be 'means tested' and my husbands wage is probably over the limit. I will probably loose my social benefit payment in november also for the same reason. Although i'm not sure if that will go sooner as i will be a student?
    snubbleste
    I will look at those websites, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

I signed on last november and i received a statutory payment + a payment from the company. I don't think i would qualify for a grant as it would be 'means tested' and my husbands wage is probably over the limit. I will probably loose my social benefit payment in november also for the same reason. Although i'm not sure if that will go sooner as i will be a student?
    snubbleste
    I will look at those websites, thanks

I would say you are entitled to BTEA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi
    BTEA maybe

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

If you have never attended college before you may be entitled to free tuition fees also you might be entitled to get a grant of the registration fees paid - apply for BTEA and grant ASAP would be my advice

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Flowerbud

Hi all
    I have been into the citizens information center and they have said that i would have qualified, except that the course that i wanted to do 'BS Hons Counselling and Pyschotherapy' is a part time course and therefore i don't qualify. I have a 2 year old child and the part time option suits me so much better. So now i have to weigh up will i go down the route that i don't really want to go down by doing a full time degree in something similar like Pyscology and get my BTEA and then pay someone else to mind my daughter, or just pay for it all myself whereby it'll be very tight. Someone mentioned to me that there could be some help to people for part time courses. It seems a bit silly to me to discrimminate against part time/full time when it should be taken into account the course and content etc.

Hi all
    I have been into the citizens information center and they have said that i would have qualified, except that the course that i wanted to do 'BS Hons Counselling and Pyschotherapy' is a part time course and therefore i don't qualify. I have a 2 year old child and the part time option suits me so much better. So now i have to weigh up will i go down the route that i don't really want to go down by doing a full time degree in something similar like Pyscology and get my BTEA and then pay someone else to mind my daughter, or just pay for it all myself whereby it'll be very tight. Someone mentioned to me that there could be some help to people for part time courses. It seems a bit silly to me to discrimminate against part time/full time when it should be taken into account the course and content etc.
    You can get a 20% refund from the revenue commissioners on the fees http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tuition-fees.html , also you could try taking out a credit union loan and also you might be able to get some sort of grant from a local partnership organisation

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement