Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclockers pre clocked bundles

Options
  • 09-08-2010 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi all,

i was looking about on various sites etc and i came across this :

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-023-OB

i wondered what you learned enthusiasts thought of a bundle like this. Appears to come as stock with an overclocked profile should you wish to avail of it.

Any thoughts??

Seems pretty ok to me, prob a tad pricy, maybe possible to do better on HW.de wit a gigabyte ud3 board swapped out instead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I got one, core i7 asus rampage II extreme, 6GB ram OC to 4GHz ourra da box.
    very happy with the system and the little extra i paid gives me garenteed stable overclock settings, pick of their stock of CPUs, and saves me doing what some consider the fun stuff of overclocking, but it's something I simply don't have time to do, too many other projects on the go.

I would recommend, I should post settings so that anyone wants to buy the bits can just copy the config. will have a look when i get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

dont see the point, if youve a few hours to spare, i5's and i7's are mega easy to overclock anyway( takes about 30 mins to throw in the settings, and a 24 hour stability test which is really just a case of temp monitoring, i.e. run it overnight and if reboot, it didnt work )

Ive also read on PC Format that a lot of the stuff they got for review preoverclocked didnt work, but personally have no experience with preoverclocked bundles

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

I'm just after building a machine around one of these bundles (i7 930 overclocked to 4.2GHz). It comes with with one of the best air coolers and 6GB of RAM. The only problem I had was that when I booted the BIOS complained that the machine was not applying the overclocking because of voltage problems. To fix it, all I had to do was to reapply the Overclockers profile and reboot.

I haven't done a Prime95 stress test yet, so I'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

Skittle wrote: »
    I'm just after building a machine around one of these bundles (i7 930 overclocked to 4.2GHz). It comes with with one of the best air coolers and 6GB of RAM. The only problem I had was that when I booted the BIOS complained that the machine was not applying the overclocking because of voltage problems. To fix it, all I had to do was to reapply the Overclockers profile and reboot.

I haven't done a Prime95 stress test yet, so I'll see how it goes.

Was there any hassle with delivery etc, how long, how much extra to deliver to ireland???

No hassle at all with delivery. It can take 2-3 days to arrive (provided all items are in stock). I paid for DPD Two Day Parcel - Eire & Scottish Islands, which cost me £31.20 for the entire system (monitor, case, motherboard bundle, sound card, graphics card, mouse & keyboard), so I'm not exactly sure how much it would cost to ship just the overclocked bundle.

Also Overclockers are registered for VAT in Ireland, so don't go by the cost of your shopping cart. When you create an account and give your Irish address, it'll then include the proper VAT rate on your basket.

The board is delivered with the RAM installed on it, and the board itself is in the original manufacturers box. The CPU is also installed onto the board as that's the safest way to transport it. They also give you the empty box that the RAM originally came in.

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to change my opinion about the Overclockers.co.uk overclocked bundles. My 4.2 GHz overclock was running at a whopping 90-92C under LinX stress test. That's with a Megahalem cooler too (which I reseated in case I had air bubbles.

I looked at the BIOS settings to see what values the "expert overclockers" had set stuff too. Bascially they did feck all, they set the RAM timings (one of the values was wrong), set the BLCK to 200, multiplier to x21 and they set the VCore to 1.35, and turned on Load Level Calibration to Level 2 everything else was on Auto.

Eventually I decided to do a bit of research myself and I got a 4GHz overclock going for much less volts and the temperature is 72C under LinX stress test, which I'm much happier with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

@Skittle : Yeah that VCore is way to high for a 4.2 on a 930. What VCore are you on for 4GHz ?

@Omen : I'd do the overclocking myself to be honest. Just as in tweaking and modding if you need help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I've have seen many an issue with the oc'ed bundles on there forums.Pesonally i wouldn't pay the extra for what you can do youself with a little bit of time and patience.
    The only plus i would have said at least you know your getting a decent chip thats able to oc well but after seeing Skittle's post i've changed my mind on that one.

@ deano
    Lol i wish my 930 only needed 1.35v for 4.2ghz and imo thats not that bad.
    Mine needs 1.38v in bios and hits 1.42v in cpuz :mad:
    (spent an eternity but cant get lower volts)

@Deano12345: If the top of my head I think the VCore was 1.255 and the CPU/VTT was a notch higher than the VCore. When I get home I'll post up my settings in case anyone is interested.

To be honest I don't think the jump from 4GHz to 4.2GHz isn't worth the hassle and the shortened lifespan of your hardware. Remember the i7930 is rated at 2.8GHz so a jump to 4GHz is more than enough, it's an increase of 42% for little of no extra money (except the price of a decent cooler).

Sorry to the OP but off topic....

Skittle can you tell me your batch number please?

• Advertisement

@game4it70: Alas you don't get the box the CPU came with in the bundles as the CPU is already mounted on the motherboard. Is there anyway for me to find out the batch number without removing the CPU cooler and trying to scrape of the thermal paste :D

Skittle wrote: »
    @game4it70: Alas you don't get the box the CPU came with in the bundles as the CPU is already mounted on the motherboard. Is there anyway for me to find out the batch number without removing the CPU cooler and trying to scrape of the thermal paste :D

Not unless you have xray vision:P
    No worries then was just curious.

For those interested for 4GHz on an i7 930, I set my VCore to 1.2375v and QPI/Vtt to 1.235v

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

yeah a 4Ghz OC its handy enough to achieve on a 920 or 930 and i agree with Skittle anything above 4Ghz isint worth the hassle or the temps.

Ive turned my 4GHz down to 3.8 for the summer, ambient temps in the gaff are way up

Advertisement