Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank you ESB regulator

Options
  • 20-07-2010 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Saw this on the CER website and have posted on the ESB Supply site on Boards if I am reading this right CER have effectively told ALL suppliers ESB, BGE Airtricity that the pso levy is going from Zero to about €6.80 per billl on residential and about €24 per bill for small industrial/
    I think about a 5% INCREASE in the cost of your bill. I know that none of the Suppliers are responsible as such but when BGE ESB talk about a price reduction we are now right back where we were not sure when this will take effect but since CER are the Masters I presume its a done deal

This is the link page 10 is the relevant piece apparently

http://www.cer.ie/en/renewables-current ... tions.aspx

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yes. Eamon Ryan is just off on holidays and wanted the CER to slither the next smart green carbon tax in while he was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Yes. Eamon Ryan is just off on holidays and wanted the CER to slither the next smart green carbon tax in while he was gone.
    Another carbon tax, I thought we were paying one already on electricity :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

The green party, thanks guys at least you know you will be remembered for a long time, just never elected again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I personally think that the regulator needs a kick up the arse, he being responsible in the past for not allowing the ESB to drop its prices.
    Regulator defends electricity levy

CIARA O'BRIEN
    The energy regulator has defended the decision to introduce a new levy that will lead to an increase in electricity prices of up to 5 per cent.
    Minister for Energy Eamon Ryan unveiled plans for the public service obligation (PSO) levy last week.
    Coming into effect from October, the charge is expected to raise up to €157 million and will be used to offset the costs faced by electricity producers who are obliged to buy a certain proportion of renewable and peat-generated electricity.
    However, opposition politicians and consumer groups have warned that the increase in prices will put more pressure on already stretched

for the rest:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0809/breaking18.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭FortyPlusHubby

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I personally think that the regulator needs a kick up the arse, he being responsible in the past for not allowing the ESB to drop its prices.

Why care? Just change to a competitor like BGE. I did, it's easy.

Anyway the article is rubbish. The PSO is not a new levy, it's been there for years (just set at zero price right now because of the formula they use to calculate it). Between 2003 and 2007 the levy was negative (i.e. PSO gave a discount) but everyone seems to have forgotten that.

Cheers,

40pH

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You pay the increase regardless of your provider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭FortyPlusHubby

Cabaal wrote: »
    You pay the increase regardless of your provider

I know, but ejmaztec was talking about prices in the past.

Cheers,

I know, but ejmaztec was talking about prices in the past.

Cheers,

Just because I mentioned the past, doesn't mean that the Regulator isn't responsible for setting price levels in the present.

Anyway the article is rubbish. The PSO is not a new levy, it's been there for years (just set at zero price right now because of the formula they use to calculate it). Between 2003 and 2007 the levy was negative (i.e. PSO gave a discount) but everyone seems to have forgotten that.

Cheers,

40pH

As I outlined on the AH forum, just because the levy may have been zero at some stage, didn't mean that we were all paying less on our total ESB bills. These were increasing anyway, irrespective of the PSO levy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How exactly will it be calculated. All the press are saying is that it will be up to 5%. My take is that some people will not be charged the full 5%. Does anyone know the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Can't find anything on the esb website, just the PSO levy details up until now:

http://www.esb.ie/esbcustomersupply/residential/your_account/understand_your_bill.jsp

5% is being bandied around but can't find any up to date press release.

5% of my bill would be €4.50 before VAT as far as I can see (usually the actual energy used comes to €90.)

• Advertisement

It will cost domestic customers €40.85 a year or €3.40 a month. It seems to be a fixed charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

This is the same regulator who made our electricity go form one of the cheapest in Europe to the 3rd most expensive to encourage competition:confused::confused:

I'd happily have a state monopoly with cheap electricity rather then an open market with expensive electricity.

This charge supposed to encourage "green" energy production. It's other aim is to reduce our dependence on imported fuel, by burning peat which is one of the dirties fuel sources around and also destroys our unique blanket bogs. Talk about not listening to yourself.

Del2005 wrote: »
    This is the same regulator who made our electricity go form one of the cheapest in Europe to the 3rd most expensive to encourage competition:confused::confused:

I'd happily have a state monopoly with cheap electricity rather then an open market with expensive electricity.

This charge supposed to encourage "green" energy production. It's other aim is to reduce our dependence on imported fuel, by burning peat which is one of the dirties fuel sources around and also destroys our unique blanket bogs. Talk about not listening to yourself.

But, according to this bit of the same article, they're doing us a huge favour, by protecting us.:eek:

The only protection that we need, is from the Regulator forcing us to bump up the ESB's profits by stitching us up with extra charges, so that the government can flog it off to some foreign investors further down the line. When it is sold off, we certainly won't see the benefits, because we'll be robbed by the new owner instead.

"[The public service obligation levy] is there to protect the consumer in the future through promoting renewables, which will give us security of supply. We are very dependent on imported fossil fuels. Most of our electricity is produced from gas, which is almost all imported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Where are the green party in all this bog-burning? I heard that esb employees will not pay the levy on their full bills but only on the small part they pay after the staff discount is applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Del2005 wrote: »

I think its actually 33e according to the documentation on the CER website.

Customer Category Levy Amount/PSO period Levy Amount/month
    Domestic customers
    €32.76/customer
    €2.73/customer

Small commercial customers (maximum import capacity of less than 30kVA)
    €99.03/customer
    €8.25/customer

Medium and large customers (maximum import capacity of equal to or greater than 30kVA)
    €13.82/kVA
    €1.15/kVA

http://www.cer.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=9fe5eaba-2aae-461b-8ca0-57e52ffc0a80

Bottom page.

€5.56 every 2 months is hardly the 5% as the media is proclaiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Haddockman wrote: »
    €5.56 every 2 months is hardly the 5% as the media is proclaiming.

It is if you bill is €90 for units used and you add VAT.

See my post above.

That would be a very small bill. The PSO would only be around the same as 1% of my usage.

Its a flat rate of 33e as I linked above (domestic).

Indeed it is. So why are the media reporting it as a 5% rise in prices when it is a fixed charge?

• Advertisement

Indeed it is. So why are the media reporting it as a 5% rise in prices when it is a fixed charge?

I am not entirely sure
    Although we aren't the only ones questioning the media's reporting:

http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/2010/08/10/the-cost-of-triple-regulation/

I think that it may work out a 5% for Large businesses (as it isn't a flat rate for them and lots of the media comment was on the impact on business) AND / OR the Government used an unrealistically low ESB bill as an example i.e. 33e=5% Therefore your annual bill is 660.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

OP, I think it's time you made the big switch.

friendface wrote: »
    OP, I think it's time you made the big switch.
    That will not protect anyone from the PSO levy as it applies to all users regardles of who the billing company is.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

That will not protect anyone from the PSO levy as it applies to all users regardles of who the billing company is.

I meant the OP should make 'the big switch' and move out of the country ;)

friendface wrote: »
    I meant the OP should make 'the big switch' and move out of the country ;)

Sure you did...

noodler wrote: »
    Sure you did...

With his username he can't possibly have meant it, but if he did, and pays me enough, I'll happily oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 meeney78

regulator is a bloody joke, these policies make no sense and are not in the best interest of any consumer. Should let the market set the price (ESB included), we have some of the highest electricity costs in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

It's supposed to come into effect on 1st October 2010. Does anyone know if it's still going ahead or if it can be stopped? Maybe if we all protested enough or refused to pay our bills? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Advertisement

It is not 5%. It is a fixed charge.

Why can't the stupid media get it right?

Advertisement