Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Improved Musician?

Options
  • 09-08-2010 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

was thinking about this earlier as i was driving to work? Who would be the most improved musician since the course of their bands inception?

Anyway, I put on Herzeleid by Rammstein (great driving music). Listening to Christoph's drums on that (very generic basic beats) then comparing it with LIFAD shows a massive improvement in his playing. I would state that people who are already great are not included in this (i.e. anyone in Dream Theatre) :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Lars Ulrich, no wait :pac:

Id say Dave Lombardo from Slayer but he's just been awesome from day one, if he got any better he would just explode!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

+1 For Dave Lombardo, like from the start with Slayer he just kept inproving right up until his first stint ended after Seasons, then emulated it with Testament and then he reached a different level in techinque and skill with Fantômas, where he also got to use his Jazz drumming talents amongst so many different styles.

Trevor Dunn for me, from the start he was already full of pace and variety in his playing, writing songs filled with total speed funk and hard riffs, but he developed in structuring and style, writing full compositions in different formats and genres with originality and gile all the way from Squeeze Me Macaroni to Paris Whore on Four Films.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think all the members of The Beatles would qualify; Paul McCartney in particular, going from mediocre guitarist to revolutionary bassist and songwriter in just a few years.

Not Rock enough? I can make a case for The Edge from U2: started off really basic, letting effects do a lot of the work, but now the effects serve him instead.

Not Metal enough? Scott Ian has gotten better at a lot of stuff since he formed Anthrax ... tv presenting, poker, comedy .... guitar?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

bnt wrote: »

Not Rock enough? I can make a case for The Edge from U2: started off really basic, letting effects do a lot of the work, but now the effects serve him instead.

thank god u didnt say Bono :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I think all the members of The Beatles would qualify; Paul McCartney in particular, going from mediocre guitarist to revolutionary bassist and songwriter in just a few years.

You can't make a case for either of them, Paul McCartney was ****e after the Beatles and the Edge always was ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

DrumSteve wrote: »
    was thinking about this earlier as i was driving to work? Who would be the most improved musician since the course of their bands inception?

Anyway, I put on Herzeleid by Rammstein (great driving music). Listening to Christoph's drums on that (very generic basic beats) then comparing it with LIFAD shows a massive improvement in his playing. I would state that people who are already great are not included in this (i.e. anyone in Dream Theatre) :D

I would even go so far as to say that Christoph's drumming was the same up to LIFAD. Rammstein have been my number 1 band since I was 11 and I can honestly say that the drumming really has changed for LIFAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Nailz wrote: »
    You can't make a case for either of them, Paul McCartney was ****e after the Beatles and the Edge always was ****e.
    Ah! A graduate of the Monty Python School of Argument! :P

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I would even go so far as to say that Christoph's drumming was the same up to LIFAD. Rammstein have been my number 1 band since I was 11 and I can honestly say that the drumming really has changed for LIFAD.

Very true though i did find after sehnsucht they kinda veered away from the the dance aspect and went more towards arena rock.... standout on the new album for me would probably be Weidmanns Heil, Haifisch and Liebe ist für alle da.

+1 on Dave lombardo too... he's the reason i chose drums!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't think it was down to one individual musician but the evolution of Fear Factory's sound between Soul of a New Machine and Demanufacture was remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I'd say Vincent Cavanagh, Anathema's vocalist has evolved immensely since he first became vocalist for them in their doom metal days. He had a great scream but didn't have much of a singing voice. On Eternity, any singing he did was pretty shakey, but then on the album after, Alternative 4, his singing is pitch perfect.

Examples:

Eternity:

Skip to 0:31

Alternative 4

Skip to 2:15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Eddie Vedder... has become a great guitarist, as well as a fantastic voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Ah! A graduate of the Monty Python School of Argument! :P

No he isn't ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I would say Machinehead, the technicality and originality of their playing improved drastically from there first album to 'The Blackening' which I would put up there with the best Metal albums

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I would say Machinehead, the technicality and originality of their playing improved drastically from there first album to 'The Blackening' which I would put up there with the best Metal albums
    To be fair I think Burn My Eyes is an awesome album, easily on a par with The Blackening. Any perceived improvement in the technicality of their playing is probably down to Phil Demmel and Dave McClain, neither of whom were part of the band in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

I would say machinehead have got progressively worse and then release the blackening which im not too fond of but everyone else loves. And I mean musical abilitywise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

On the machine head topic, I've only heard their albums up to the burning red, and think they got progressively worse after burn my eyes, both content- and skill-wise (though I do acknowledge the band line-up shifted around a good bit in the time).

On the machine head topic, I've only heard their albums up to the burning red, and think they got progressively worse after burn my eyes, both content- and skill-wise (though I do acknowledge the band line-up shifted around a good bit in the time).
    I don't know about that. Supercharger wasn't great but Through The Ashes of Empires was very good and shared a lot of similarity soundwise with The Blackening.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

DrumSteve wrote: »

+1 I saw the title and entered to mention that very man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Machine Head have a sort of curve in my mind, starting high, lowest at Burning Red and Supercharger, and getting better since then, with The Blackening as their best. Pretty unoriginal opinion I've got on this anyway.

I think Trivium have gotten progressively better, perhaps the Crusade showed a slight dip in quality but on their other albums the songwriting has gotten better with each one.

Between The Buried and me show great progression from album to album, their first album was a great metalcore album with some sort of unorthodox elements, then onto The Silent Circus which is an all round great metalcore album, Alaska showed an amazing ability to write more stand alone songs and showed experimentation with different genres and Colors showed what is their current peak with brilliant cohesion, ability and songwriting.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

I'd say Martin Lopez. In Amon Amarth he was good death metal drummer but by his last work on Ghost Reveries by Opeth he was good at death/jazz/prog stuff with light melodic backing drums and anything else. Each song was different which a lot of drummers can't do.

This is some of his last stuff before leaving Opeth and music altogether:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJt_4Gafq6g&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Machine Head have a sort of curve in my mind, starting high, lowest at Burning Red and Supercharger, and getting better since then, with The Blackening as their best. Pretty unoriginal opinion I've got on this anyway.

I think Trivium have gotten progressively better, perhaps the Crusade showed a slight dip in quality but on their other albums the songwriting has gotten better with each one.

Between The Buried and me show great progression from album to album, their first album was a great metalcore album with some sort of unorthodox elements, then onto The Silent Circus which is an all round great metalcore album, Alaska showed an amazing ability to write more stand alone songs and showed experimentation with different genres and Colors showed what is their current peak with brilliant cohesion, ability and songwriting.

By this I hope you mean blatantly ripping off every thrash band from the 1980's shamelessly, theirs flattery, then theirs ****e, which Trivium fall under.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Steph Carpenter - Deftones.

In my humble opinion he is the shizz. He is doing different things as a player in the rock metal genre. Every album uses a different tuning, he use subltle but cool tones and effects, great ambiance and just a great great riffer. No major changes album to album but definitely a further exploration of his sound.

jamezy wrote: »
    Steph Carpenter - Deftones.

In my humble opinion he is the shizz. He is doing different things as a player in the rock metal genre. Every album uses a different tuning, he use subltle but cool tones and effects, great ambiance and just a great great riffer. No major changes album to album but definitely a further exploration of his sound.
    While I agree that he's an excellent guitar player, has he improved that much? Deftones best work is over 10 years old.

Advertisement