Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mushroom C&C

• 09-08-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Ok, they aren't the s*xiest thing in the world and the photographs will never win awards :D But I'm venturing into the world of macro-lite* and would appreciate any and all opinions/comments. Go on, be brutal, I can take it! ;)

(*Read as "up close and personal" rather than true macro)

0B500195F0434703B71C350BA82C8504-500.jpg

153903865656467B83F2A96A05F881C7-500.jpg

E8FE3C696E884502ACBE02B3583E93B5-500.jpg

FF433850FB30463290ED83FCB3D1FE93-500.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

They look magical / fairytaleish :)
    I like them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

They are pretty damn cool shots :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I like th last 3, strangely I don't like the first. It's the perspective - mushrooms look best from the side :D

I do up-close-and-personal shots too, since I don't have a true macro lens. But good enough results are very possible without spending a small fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Tallon wrote: »
    They look magical / fairytaleish :)
    I like them

Magic and wonderful.:D

Hi OP,

Did you take these recently and a rough location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Thanks all.

Tallon, had to laugh at your comment, the first thing I thought when I was doing the PP work was that I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairy sitting under one of these things! :D

Thecageyone - Huh, who needs true macro? All we ask is for a frame filling shot! :p

Bubonicus - They were taken yesterday in the field next to my house, in Galway. The horses that were there moved, so I took a chance on taking a walk, this was the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Agreed on the ram filling, try telling the macro heads around these parts that though! :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

These are nice.

You've nicely and imho appropriately isolated your subject without needing to crop the bejeezuz out of them. Simplicity works great in images. Our brains generally can't process complexity too well. Also, the dominant green with creams/browns I think is pleasing, serene, and ooze calm. So to me, they sit well.

Where I think you may have a little work to do is in the appropriate depth of field space. I feel that all images have the depth of field inappropriately narrow, and that it would be more appropriate if your area in acceptable focus was wider.

In addition, there is some garbage artefacts visible throughout which I think would be better minimised (if you can) as they are distracting and imho take from the image. There is a tight balance from documenting the scene and manufacturing a product. It depends on what you are after. What i'm referring to is the additional foliage visible (particularly strong in #3).

The angle in #1 I feel is the best of those presented here. The others are a little 'head on' which makes them repetitive. You have so many different possibilities when going to shoot in terms of the angle - to shoot mostly 'flat on' will lead to what will appear repetitive shots when presented as a sequence.

Also worthy of mention is that there is good definition in the images. Where in focus and within the depth of field referenced above, the content is clear; without jarred edges. So what i'm saying is that you've gotten in there close and you've given yourself lots of image to work with.

I see from the exif you've the S5 Pro. That's pretty cool.

Anyhow, overall - i'd say good work done with a few areas to think about for improvements but very presentable images all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

If I took the third one, I'd be willing to put it on paper. That means I like it a lot ;)

One bit of advice - don't be scared to do a bit of 'gardening' when you're shooting. Pull out bits of grass and dandelion heads that are in your way. A certain amount of surrounding greenery is cool, but it's annoying if ou've got an excellent shot 'if only that flower wasn't in front'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

nice work!!

can i ask - is the DoF what you wanted? i've tried this in the past and wanted everything in focus but its difficult to get that! usually ended up with too thin a DoF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Thanks all, I kept meaning to get back and answer this thread, but something came up every time!

AnCatDubh - Thanks for all the comments. Originally I did think about going black and white with them, but once I started PP’ing the colours where too good to lose.

I understand what you are saying about the DOF, unfortunately the narrow focus was down to some uncontrollable factors - wind and natural light! I needed the shutter to be as fast as possible, so on average they were shot at F6.3, at 1/180, at 65mm, on something about an inch tall, meaning the DOF was always going to be small. :D But its something that I might look to improve with some more planning in the future. Wind break would be helpful, also clamps, a scissors…

The sequence does need to be improved. I guess the best way to work would be to pick 5 different angles and pick the best 3 or 4 for the set. Again a bit of pre-planning.

As for the EXIF data, a guy from boards recently called me an non-conformist - I guess its true! :D I liked the sound of the Fuji when I first read about it, which was in and around the time I was looking for a new camera. And it hasn’t let me down yet. The only complaint I would have is its RAW processing speed. But for the most part that doesn’t effect me too much, a few extra seconds for me to consider the next shot.

elven - Thanks, I can see at least one of these making an appearance in my next photo book…whenever I get around to getting doing one up.

The 'gardening' is a good tip and one that I’ve learned from, a scissors has been added to my kit bag and I’ll be getting clamps next time I’m in town.

Fionn - As I mentioned above the DOF was more to do with the situation than a requirement. Had I had a proper wind break and my mini tripod I might have gone for another option. In saying that I’m fairly happy with the results. As Tallon already mentioned there is a kinda fairytaleish look to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement