Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Android, what should I get?

• 09-08-2010 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hey guys I was contemplating getting a nokia 5800 ''smartphone''

But since theres none in stock I thought I might take the daunting jump into the android sector, Id probably only be willing to pay 200e for a PAYG mobile.

I just want to ask your opinions on what phone you think would be overall better for me, I have read nearly all the reviews and watched all the videos on youtube and I am still stuck.

Basically im stuck between

Samsung Spica
    Sony Ericsson X10 mini
    LG Optimus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Hey guys I was contemplating getting a nokia 5800 ''smartphone''

But since theres none in stock I thought I might take the daunting jump into the android sector, Id probably only be willing to pay 200e for a PAYG mobile.

I just want to ask your opinions on what phone you think would be overall better for me, I have read nearly all the reviews and watched all the videos on youtube and I am still stuck.

Basically im stuck between

Samsung Spica
    Sony Ericsson X10 mini
    LG Optimus
    Don't know much about the Optimus. X10 Mini has a better camera, but the Spica is upgraded to Android 2.1 as opposed to the X10's 1.6.

I have the Spica and have been pretty happy with it. Get 3-4 days of battery (with relatively light use). There's enough memory for about 100 apps, depending on their size, which is enough for most. Only downsides are: it's unlikely to update to 2.2, although there's been no official word yet, and the Samsung home app in 2.1 (Pantheon) is crap, but you can replace that (LauncherPro or my favourite, PandaHome). Apart from that, it's a pretty great phone for the price

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

28064212 wrote: »
    Don't know much about the Optimus. X10 Mini has a better camera, but the Spica is upgraded to Android 2.1 as opposed to the X10's 1.6.

I have the Spica and have been pretty happy with it. Get 3-4 days of battery (with relatively light use). There's enough memory for about 100 apps, depending on their size, which is enough for most. Only downsides are: it's unlikely to update to 2.2, although there's been no official word yet, and the Samsung home app in 2.1 (Pantheon) is crap, but you can replace that (LauncherPro or my favourite, PandaHome). Apart from that, it's a pretty great phone for the price
    I have been looking at the Spica very closely know, I was just hoping you could answer some of my questions.

Judging by video reviews it doesnt seem to have the best touch sensitivity, is this the case or is it just crap reviews?

How does the camera function in low light, I only want the camera for the odd picture but I would like it to have a decent preformance in low light?

What is PandaHome does it change the interface?

Is there any major reason not to buy it?

I have been looking at the Spica very closely know, I was just hoping you could answer some of my questions.

Judging by video reviews it doesnt seem to have the best touch sensitivity, is this the case or is it just crap reviews?
    Not that I've noticed, always found it very good. Admittedly, my previous phone was a 'resistance' screen that was very difficult to use with your fingers, but I've never found any real problems with the touchscreen
    How does the camera function in low light, I only want the camera for the odd picture but I would like it to have a decent preformance in low light?
    Couldn't really tell you, I don't use the camera at all
    What is PandaHome does it change the interface?
    Basically, It's your homescreen, where you put shortcuts and widgets. The Samsung one is crap, don't know why they bothered, even the default Android one was better. Fortunately, Pandahome is free and much better. I've heard good things about LauncherPro as well, but I'm happy with Pandahome
    Is there any major reason not to buy it?
    Nope, don't think you'll get better value tbh. I'd love a Desire or one of the new Android phones that are going to hit the market soon, but they're well out of my price range

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

28064212 wrote: »
    Not that I've noticed, always found it very good. Admittedly, my previous phone was a 'resistance' screen that was very difficult to use with your fingers, but I've never found any real problems with the touchscreen

Couldn't really tell you, I don't use the camera at all

Basically, It's your homescreen, where you put shortcuts and widgets. The Samsung one is crap, don't know why they bothered, even the default Android one was better. Fortunately, Pandahome is free and much better. I've heard good things about LauncherPro as well, but I'm happy with Pandahome

Nope, don't think you'll get better value tbh. I'd love a Desire or one of the new Android phones that are going to hit the market soon, but they're well out of my price range
    Thanks a million for all your replies, I think we are in the same situation would love a Desire but the price range is abit too much, generally im happy with the Spica havent done to much research (dont think I need to seems a decent android phone)

Its 2.1 isnt it?

I have a mate that works in CPW and he says its ****, I think hes only saying that because he has the iPhone4 :rolleyes:

Also is there any must need apps for this, except the Pandahome one?

Its 2.1 isnt it?
    Yep, although there's no news about whether it'll get 2.2. I hope it will because I'm at the limit of the internal storage for apps, and 2.2 allows you to install to the SD card, but Samsung haven't said one way or the other
    I have a mate that works in CPW and he says its ****, I think hes only saying that because he has the iPhone4 :rolleyes:
    :pac: If I was offered an iPhone 4 in the morning for free I'm not sure I'd take it over the Spica.
    Also is there any must need apps for this, except the Pandahome one?
    If you don't have a data-plan, the APNOnOff widget (or APNDroid) is a must, so you don't run up ridiculous charges. PandaHome's really the only one that is a must-have specifically for the Spica. After that, it's mostly personal preference. Ones that I'd recommend are:
    • DialerOne - replaces the default dialpad and contacts, much better imo
    • Gemini Calendar - the stock calendar isn't great, Gemini goes a long, long way to make up for its short-comings
    • Handcent SMS - much better than the default messaging app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I have the x10 Mini and I am extremely disappointed with it - thinking of changing and getting the Spica.

I shouldn't have gone for the small & cute option :( Worst decision I ever made!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

I have the x10 Mini and I am extremely disappointed with it - thinking of changing and getting the Spica.

I shouldn't have gone for the small & cute option :( Worst decision I ever made!!

I've the full x10 and I think it's one of the best phones I've used in a long while. I had until recently an iphone, but this is far better than it. I do however have one slight issue with it, and that's the battery life. Even compared to the iphone it's bad and that's saying something, But i get over this by just charging daily, which i was doing with the iphone anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Desire

* thread closed :):D

listermint wrote: »
    Desire

* thread closed :):D

Desire €399 (O2 Prepay), Spica €199 (3 prepay)

* thread opened :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

foinse wrote: »
    I've the full x10 and I think it's one of the best phones I've used in a long while. I had until recently an iphone, but this is far better than it. I do however have one slight issue with it, and that's the battery life. Even compared to the iphone it's bad and that's saying something, But i get over this by just charging daily, which i was doing with the iphone anyway.

I didn't even consider the full x10 because of the price... my boyfriend has an iphone and it just seems to be the best out there, but it's his work phone so lucky him! :)

I swapped for the Spica and I have to admit, it's fab. The screen is so nice to look at and use (x10 mini was sort of, cheap looking, with a ridiculous blue background which really got my goat) the camera is good, not great, but not bad. I love it! the battery is lasting almost 2 days, with using the music player, apps, messenging, facebook and browsing a bit also.

I should have went with it from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I didn't even consider the full x10 because of the price... my boyfriend has an iphone and it just seems to be the best out there, but it's his work phone so lucky him! :)

I swapped for the Spica and I have to admit, it's fab. The screen is so nice to look at and use (x10 mini was sort of, cheap looking, with a ridiculous blue background which really got my goat) the camera is good, not great, but not bad. I love it! the battery is lasting almost 2 days, with using the music player, apps, messenging, facebook and browsing a bit also.

I should have went with it from the start.
    I couldnt resist but this deserves a roflcopter:pac:
    roflcopter.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bbor005

I might be seeing this too late, but I'd advise you against getting a Spica. I have one and it does nothing but drive me crazy. The lag on it is insane (we're talking 5 full seconds to load up the phone book, or SMS messages) and I get a ton of force closes.

I've reflashed it, rooted it, hard resetted it, and it worked well for around a week before reverting to its buggy, sluggish state. The camera is pretty good although there's no flash so forget any evening shots. The screen is nice and bright, touchscreen is responsive enough. It feels quite cheap and plastic-y and there are far too many buttons on it for my liking.

I desperately wanted an android phone and can't afford the Desire level of phones, so plumped for a Spica. On the one hand, I'm glad I did because it introduced me to Android and convinced me that it's the OS for me. On the other hand, I'm kind of annoyed I did because it really is a crock of sh*te. Planning on selling it for whatever I can get, saving up a little and getting a Wildfire. Still not Desire-calibre, but bound to be a step up in terms of reliability and responsiveness.

Advertisement