Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying & Selling Cars

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Motor dealers are going out of business every week and this fella wants to buy and sell cars??!

Lord whats the world coming to

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Motor dealers are going out of business every week and this fella wants to buy and sell cars??!

Lord whats the world coming to

Most motor dealers have built the glass palace, have massive overheads, and their stock belongs to the banks. This is a different ball game altogether and on a completely different scale. It'll be a learning curve for sure and he may loose his bollocks, then again he may make break even and enjoy himself while doing it or he may make a small few bob on it over the course of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Most motor dealers have built the glass palace, have massive overheads, and their stock belongs to the banks. This is a different ball game altogether and on a completely different scale. It'll be a learning curve for sure and he may loose his bollocks, then again he may make break even and enjoy himself while doing it or he may make a small few bob on it over the course of the year.

Ok, most guys I know who sell from a Yard with a portakabin are struggling to keep their head above water. These are guys who know cars inside out, and have years of experience.

And remember, in most cases, the glass palace wasnt an option, it was a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Every mother and there son is at this at the moment and its very short lived, you sell a cheap car, turn a small profit and if something goes wrong there back on your doorstep looking to get it fixed or money back. Not all its cracked up to be tbh and you could possibly end up in more trouble then you wish. On a side note i have noticed a lot of foreign nationals also at it as theres no work and it turns a quick buck for them !!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ok, most guys I know who sell from a Yard with a portakabin are struggling to keep their head above water. These are guys who know cars inside out, and have years of experience.

And remember, in most cases, the glass palace wasnt an option, it was a requirement.

Most guys I know with a Portakabin are only there for a year before they change their name anyhow! ;)
    Ricardo G wrote: »
    Every mother and there son is at this at the moment and its very short lived, you sell a cheap car, turn a small profit and if something goes wrong there back on your doorstep looking to get it fixed or money back.

What you're missing here is the OP doesn't expect to be a fully fledged car dealer over night. Each car will be sold 'privately' so there will be no responsibilty once the deal is done. If his only trade is selling cars I would condemn the practice but if he is selling a few cars (<6) a year in order to learn the trade by himself then I say fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭WillyWonkaBar

Some people seem to be misinterpreting what i want to do, So..

Basically all i want to do is, buy a decent car, might need work, might not, I just want to learn a bit along the way hopefully make a bit of money, But in a recession i dont expect to make much, if anything at all. I dont want a big business! its purely a hobby. 1 or 2 cars a year, depending on time and money.

Well if you only want to buy and sell one or two cars a year go ahead, buy wisely, use it has your daily driver until something else comes along then try and flick it on. I've been doing this for 3 years and currently have the 6th and 7th car at the moment. Excluding motor tax, insurance and fuel I have enjoyed free motoring and have probably made a small few quid (have it all in an excel file so may well tot it all up for the crack and see). My most recent purchase was a 1993 520i touring that I bought 4 months ago, the thing is proving very very slow to sell. Ideally I'd like rid of it but I'm happy to keep driving it for another month or two, if it doesn't sell by then then my other car (1997 Rover 216 Coupe) that I drove foe the 6 months before I got the Merc is back on the road and will see how hard or otherwise that is to sell.

From a purely hobby viewpoint it's good craic, meet some nice folks buying and selling and having a car that needs some work done can be fun, also you'll learn a bit, I know ABS sytems on W124 diesel Mercs backwards now.

You may well enounter some dodgy, scummy types too so keep that in mind too and have your wits about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

By all means buy a few cars and try and sell them on but make sure you're learning while you're at it. I bought an audi a4 01 from England for 6k including tax and vrt in April 2009 ( very clean car ) and sold it in March 2010 for 6k again, I waited about 3 months, saw a bargain and snapped it up. The only extra cost was a service and one or two tyres.

First and foremost, enjoy it.

Still One thing im not sure about is if i buy a car off a person and i send the log book away to change vehicle ownership, do i have to wait a certain amount of time before i can sell the car on? or could i just get the original owner i bought the car off to sign the log book and i keep it and dont change ownership myself but let the guy who buyes the car off me, fill in his details and send it off that way?.

Still One thing im not sure about is if i buy a car off a person and i send the log book away to change vehicle ownership, do i have to wait a certain amount of time before i can sell the car on? or could i just get the original owner i bought the car off to sign the log book and i keep it and dont change ownership myself but let the guy who buyes the car off me, fill in his details and send it off that way?.

Best to put it in your name, you'll have the logbook back in a few weeks, if you're only selling 6 a year you won't be turning them over that quick. If you go legit as a full time dealer you don't need to post off the change of ownership 'till you sell the car to a new owner but unless you are an actual dealer very few folk will give you the form when you buy a car off them :)

• Advertisement

Ahh ok, Thanks for the answer :D

Advertisement