Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanted Childs Bicycle Seat - Front

• 09-08-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Firstly apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.I was looking for a child seat for my mountain bike to take the chiseller out for spins. I'm not crazy about the rear ones beacuse I prefer to keep an eye on him and I think it's safer to the front.I've seen ones that sit on a bar mounted between the saddle post and handlebars that have a little kinda pad in front of the child and I like the look of them.I haven't been able to find anywhere that stocks them and the local Halfords had never even heard of them, so I was wondering if any of you kind folk knew where I could get one. Alternatively if someone has one their child has outgrown, I'd be happy to make a purchase.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

http://cgi.ebay.ie/WeeRide-DELUXE-Award-Winning-Child-Safe-Bike-Seat-/170380961390?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item27ab7f266e
    I got one of these a few weeks back. I find it great and they delivered within a week. The bar is permanently on the bike above the cross bar even when you remove the seat but provided you don't mind that its perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I use a rear seat. It's quite safe.

Wouldn't fancy having a bar sitting between my groin and the stem in the event of an accident. Also, a rear seat is better for handling and keeping flying stones away from the kids eyes.

Also some people report that they have to cycle knees akimbo.

I remember reading about a study somewhere that found that front mounted child seats were the least safe as in the event of a fall, the handlebars can deliver a blow to the child. Trailers were found to be the safest followed by rear mounted seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

I have a rear mounted one and find it grand and safe, I think if I had a front mounted one like the one in the pic he would want to steer, and break! I think all the controls are a like too close for comfort as in I want to go this way Dad! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭VinDevo

I’ve had one for years – recently bought one for the new bike. They seem to be hard to source these days as there is a safety issue. I often worry that my daughter (5) – who loves sitting up front – will get her foot caught in the front wheel and throw us both.

But I found this – the joys of the internet and a credit card!

http://www.bikebude24.de – look under Kindersitz

Selle royale kids saddle, decent rubber pegs, and wheel guards to prevent feet in front wheel – for €55 delivered

Of course will only suit certain types of bike

For younger kids there are Bobike seats: www.bobike.nl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

I find the front seat more stable than the rear, much better to see him moving than just feeling the back of the bike swaying. I only cycle with himself on a closed circuit here in Cork so its very safe. It has a 'dashboard' for himself so he tends not to go at my bars. As for the knees, well we only go for 20 or 30 mins and its not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭picorette

The front seat that you are referring to is called the Leco Front Child seat.

Quick search will find you UK sources for 20 or available from Cyleways Parnell Street for €25.

Word of caution. Make sure you fit the foot rests with straps as my little one caught his foot in the spokes when riding without the straps on, but other than that it is great & allows easy conversation and a closeness while cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I was in Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght recently and they had lots of different child seats.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I don't to scare-monger or anything, but it is worth reading this report on child seat options, and make your own decision:
    Allianz Report on Bicycle Child Transportation

"Crash testing by the Allianz Center for Technology - Passive safety needs improvement. The transportation of children by bike is the safest in special child bicycle trailers, whilst child seats on the carrier or on the handlebars of the bicycle offer far less protection in an accident."

"Children can suffer more serious injuries when transported on a bicycle seat mounted between the handlebars and the rider, where, as here, a collision occurs due to the careless opening a car door."fahrrad_1.jpg
    "Serious injuries in seats in the bar area.
    All the crash tests carried out using dummies, by the Allianz Center for Technology, showed that "children" in a seat in the bar area or on the rack suffered the most severe injuries in collisions, and the following impact with the ground. On the other hand, the dummies in the bike trailer had only minor injuries, as the trailer in the accident was either not in the direct collision area of the open car door, or in the case of the swerve, were hardly effected, and even in the case of a side impact from a car at 20 km/h, surprisingly was not overturned, but merely pushed to one side."

• Registered Users Posts: 24 trashheap

I have a wee-ride for my son...got it when he was one, he's now a tall two and I'm not sure if I'll get another year out of it with him.
    But, he loves it!
    For me, it works better than the rear mounted ones, cos your child is sat between your arms and you can have a great chat about what they are seeing as you go. And at a young age, the little head rest platform thingy is essential as they often fall asleep from the motion of the bike. And they literally lay their head down on the platform and snooze away! Their feet are encased in little pods so can't get near the spokes.
    Downsides of it, for me, are the fact that he'll be out of it by the age of three and I don't know if I could trust him to sit safely on an 'open' saddle. Also, he went through a phase of trying to steer the bike himself and to change the gears - a quick warning of 'touch the handlebars or the gears and your off the bike' nipped that one in the bud though! I'd often head out for a 10/15k spin with him, and your knees are facing out the way rather than forward...not a problem for short spins, but if you've gone for a long spin on your own bike and then head out for a short one with the wee ride, it can get a bit twinge-y!

There's loads of options out there, all with great arguments for and against their use. Research them and get one to suit your needs.
    For what it's worth, to me the Wee-ride is great for kids of about 1 to 3 years old who love to talk!

• Advertisement
Advertisement