Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Sive studied much?

• 09-08-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I don't think this is the right place to post this but I can't see anywhere else suitable ... just wondering if Sive is widely done on the English course, do many people choose to study it? I work for a theatre company that are considering touring with it next year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I don't think this is the right place to post this but I can't see anywhere else suitable ... just wondering if Sive is widely done on the English course, do many people choose to study it? I work for a theatre company that are considering touring with it next year.

It'd probably be better in the Leaving Cert forum :)

For English you can include a play in the Comparative Study part of the paper. The list of possible texts for the comparative study are here. Sive was on the 2010 list and is on the 2011 aswel but I'm not sure of how many people would be studying it. If it was on the 2009 list, there weren't too many as I don't remember people talking about it on boards or doing it in any school around me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moved into the main forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

We did it last year.
    Personally, I don't think that most people would go to see Sive, since, its only a small part of the comparative. Of course thats only at HL.

I think it was the main text for OL last year, again, I'm not really sure on this one though. So those guys would have a decent use for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Yep going into sixth year now and i think 3/5 classes (80 students) are doing it in my year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

I did Sive for the lc but we were the only english class doing it in our school. i also went to grinds where there were students from at least 10 other schools, none of them were doing Sive!! Most of the classes did dancing at lughnasa. so i'm not sure if it would be worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

We did Sive, it was put on in a theatre this year and we went to it. The place was full, it was on for several nights and I don't think they had any difficulty getting an audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

We're doing it in my school in the North West. As an English teacher I'd imagine that John B. Keane is always a popular choice. This play is on for the 2011 and 2012 Leaving Certs, so a production after Christmas for example could get an audience from 5th and 6th years. It could also be an option for Junior Certs or Transition Year groups.

Also, if putting on a school production, notes are always appreciated (by the teachers anyway!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Write to the SEC and ask the Chief Examiner for English.
    She/he will know the proportion of answers on 'Sive'.

There may be a chicken and egg situation in that if teachers are made aware a production will be touring, then might be more likely to start it with a class group.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

we did it last year in detail!. :( there was a showing of it, in our local theatre.. it was full, a school from longford even came all the way up to galway to see it..! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Everyone in my school studied Sive, there was a play put on in a nearby theatre and it was sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

we studied sive this year for my leaving cert. its a enjoyable enough play and very easy to use in the comparative. SEAN DOTA IS A HERO :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

We studied it last year and went to see it too.

Advertisement