Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Specialized S works road shoes with Boa steel laces

• 09-08-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

I know a few here have them, and I would like to know if anyone has had a lace snap and if so, how difficult are they to replace?

I just picked up a spare lace/dial ratchet thingy from Cycleways this lunchtime as I will be down in Cork with the bike for 10 days.

Handy to have should the worse happen, just wondering how often they break and how easy they are to fit. BTW shoes are 9 months old and on 2nd set of cleats.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

jimm wrote: »
    I know a few here have them, and I would like to know if anyone has had a lace snap and if so, how difficult are they to replace?

I just picked up a spare lace/dial ratchet thingy from Cycleways this lunchtime as I will be down in Cork with the bike for 10 days.

Handy to have should the worse happen, just wondering how often they break and how easy they are to fit. BTW shoes are 9 months old and on 2nd set of cleats.

I was just thinking about this myself this morning.

I have S-Works road shoes that are 2 years old. They seem a little "stretched" and loose these days. I'm wondering if either the leather has stretched or maybe the steel. (I nearly bought the last set in Cycleways on Saturday :) ) So curious as to how hard it is to change them - might get another year out of the shoes then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

tunney wrote: »
    They seem a little "stretched" and loose these days. I'm wondering if either the leather has stretched or maybe the steel. (I nearly bought the last set in Cycleways on Saturday :) )

I don't understand how the steel stretching would make any difference. Surely you just wind the dial until they're tight?

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't understand how the steel stretching would make any difference. Surely you just wind the dial until they're tight?

Yes - thats why I didn't buy them.
    Don't want to have to buy another pair of 250 euro shoes (can't afford it either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Lumen wrote: »

That's true. The steel lace does stretch and winding the dial tightens them up nicely. Eventually the lace will reach a point where it can no longer stretch and will snap. I'm just wondering how long people have had the shoes before this happens and how easy (or not) they are to replace.

That's true. The steel lace does stretch and winding the dial tightens them up nicely. Eventually the lace will reach a point where it can no longer stretch and will snap. I'm just wondering how long people have had the shoes before this happens and how easy (or not) they are to replace.

Two and a bit years, shed loads of abuse. Multiple serious accidents, some involving lower limbs. more abuse than the average roadies shoe. Still going strong (although now a little bigger, the shoe that is)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

tunney wrote: »
    Yes - thats why I didn't buy them.
    Don't want to have to buy another pair of 250 euro shoes (can't afford it either)
    You will have to. Shoes are a wear item. €250 doesn't get longer lasting shoes, it gets better fitting, stiffer soled shoes.

You will have to. Shoes are a wear item. €250 doesn't get longer lasting shoes, it gets better fitting, stiffer soled shoes.

I'm aware of what the shoe delivers, hence buying them. I just don't want to have to buy another pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

The boa dial and lace can be replaced very easily!

Cycleways sell the set to do it yourself!
    Straight forward.. Few minutes job..!!

Can be ordered easily also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

According to their website the laces do not stretch, but I reckon they will break eventually (hence, they sell spare laces).

http://www.boatechnology.com/technology/Secure

"The Boa lace does not stretch. Constructed from many interwoven, braided stainless steel laces, it has zero stretch. Simply stated, once you fine tune your fit, you can rely on the laces maintaining that specific closure."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

cipo wrote: »
    The boa dial and lace can be replaced very easily!

Cycleways sell the set to do it yourself!
    Straight forward.. Few minutes job..!!

Can be ordered easily also

Told exactly the same six months ago when I bought mine. Made sure this wasn't an issue before I bought or otherwise I'd have second thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Ha that is mad i had one or two of the BOA closure causing a bit of bother on my shoes after just a month of use and got 2 replacement dials and laces just there a few minutes ago f.o.c and might have a go at fitting them later. Has anyone done this before, any tips or advice? I didnt think i would have to be doing this on a €200 pair of shoes, does anybody know if this is a regular problem or did I just get a dodgy pair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Job done, replaced one of the mechanisms ok it worked out fine and seems to be back functioning as normal. Once you get the steel wire out of the shoe and feel it for yourself it is hard to see how it could possibly stretch! What had happened was that instead of the lace winding neatly around the reel it had folded back on itself inside in the mechanism meaning it was sort of blocked and caused a stiffness. Still have one spare should anything go wrong with the other BOA clousre but i should hope not after paying that price for them!!

Advertisement