Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sold house - Renting and length of term

Options
  • 09-08-2010 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to rent at the moment, we have sold our house and have not seen anything we like yet. We would like to rent for 6 months and see how it goes, maybe then another 6 who knows but most places seem to want 12 months.
    What are the implications of taking a 12 but then having to break the term before the year is up?
    Is it just the deposit or are there other things to consider?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You can be sued for the remaining rent over the rest of the term you signed up to pay.

I would simply explain to prospective landlords your situation. Many will be accommodating in this climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

While in theory you could be pursued for the rent owed on the remainder of the contract, in practice I've never heard of it or seen it happen. The typical consequence for breaking the lease tends to be retention of the deposit and nothing further.

It would be wise to be upfront about your situation, you may well find LLs who are willing to accommodate the shorter term. In fact you say yourself you may wish to rent for 12 months total, so what you would need is a break clause.

Advertisement