Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Assistance Fund...

Options
  • 09-08-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

What's the story with these?
    I'm in receipt of nothing because my household income just barely hit the cut off point for the maintenance grant (also I'm living at home). Its a bit sickening knowing that some people in UCD, who are the kids of very wealthy self - employed people can get the mainenance grant, whereas I'm 100% broke all year and left to cover all my costs with the money I save working during the summer, since I don't have time to commit to even part time work during the academic year, and I don't like sponging off the folks (that much ;)).
    Anyway, moaning aside, would I be able to apply for a student assistance fund to even cover some books, monthly dart tickets or anything? From the student finance website (http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7235/student-assistance-fund/index.html) it seems like you just sort of plead your case to a welfare officer in UCD and they then decide whether or not you deserve a bit of help. It would be a massive relief if I could. Probably can't though.
    Has anyone had experience applying for money help in UCD before? Any advice would be helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

basically you write a letter explaining you situation to the vice-president for students, in it you need to include all expenses you pay with evidence as well as any income now they will need to know about your parents, what there jobs are etc and if you are receiving a maintenance grant, so as your household income is to high they may see it as your parents are paid enough to help you as they would rather see you sponge off your parents first than to sponge of ucd
    they will also make you do a budget for the year so they can figure out how much to give you should they decide to give you assistance
    just explain your situation honestly and hope for the best

its all done through your guidance counsellor depending on your course

Just saw that you're just above the income limit, did you self-assess yourself at the income limit for the grant? Just that if you have siblings or even parents I believe in full-time education the income limit can increase. Might be worth getting the Council to check, not too late to submit an application. Plus if your family receives a decrease in income during the year, and you're under the limit, you can apply under a 'change in circumstances' and obtain the grant from then onwards.

I'm sure you've examined this fully but just thought it'd be worth mentioning just in case.

Advertisement