Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat hire to Dalkey island

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

was on the island yesterday for a bit of lunch and some time lapse photography.
    Go out there fairly frequently for numerous different reasons, have my own boats I can use so can't comment on the rental situation.

However one reason they may be nervous of people going is due to the weather and sea conditions around the island. The tidal currents are mad down there, with numerous people requiring assistance throughout the year.
    Also not even the fact about the tide stranding you on the island, its actually tricky enough to get into so if you don't know what your at you can do serious damage to the boat. Those renting out the boats can't take your word that you know the area or can handle the boat effectively.

Lovely peaceful place, but it can be extremely dangerous even on the calmest of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Chinasea wrote: »
    It was a calm summer day. I can understand that these rules are for your own good - no problem there, but from what I can remember it seemed more like a turf war between Colimore Harbour boat hire and Bulloch, but honestly, it was all so cagey and so aggressive, we didn't hang about and when we mentioned getting the police the whole vibe did a 360.
    There's no turf war, you can't rent boats from Coliemore.
    A calm summer day doesn't really mean anything out around the island, it's deep with very strong currents.

I'd say if you told them straight up you were going to the island they wouldn't have given you a boat. The one & only time I've dealt with them I stupidly turned up without a fishing rod & was quoted €40 an hour cos he said I'd be pissing away his fuel, I told him to **** off & bought myself a kayak :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The tides around the island are crazy. I've seen boats going over and facing 45 degrees to where they want to go.

The guys at the two harbours can come across a bit rude, but I think that is part of a genuine contempt that professional sea goers have for us landlubbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

i was going into coliemore harbour last wednesday and the rib was genuinely going sideways entering the harbour. it was great fun for me and the people in the boat (who I didn't know) were shocked at how i was getting it to go sideways and still had complete control over it. I've been boating for over 13 years and still am not sure how I did it! One of the lads from coliemore said it was the most difficult he'd seen it in a good while, and it was sunny, small sea state with 7-10 knots of breeze, so it was an extremely pleasant day

Advertisement