Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

simple image wins

• 09-08-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/night-scene-scoops-photography-award-2290126.html

heres the text:
    A simple night-image capturing a rare quiet moment on Dublin city's main thoroughfare was today unveiled as an award-winning photo.

Scenes of seascapes and idyllic villages, towns and cities were also honoured in the GoIreland.com Photography Awards and will appear in a souvenir calendar featuring some of Ireland's iconic images.

Thousands of entries from all over the world were submitted to the international amateur tourist photography competition, run by reservations and information provider Gulliver Ireland and John Hinde Ireland.

The winning photograph, Dublin by Night, was taken by Bernard O'Sullivan from Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin.

The image features O'Connell Street - one of Europe's widest streets - in the still of the night and The Spire, the 120-metre needle-like stainless steel sculpture, which rises high above.

Views of Galway Bay, Cork's Cobh and Roches Point, Blennerville in Tralee, Co Kerry, Bunratty in Co Clare, Kinvara, Co Galway, Derry, Drogheda and Sligo's Enniscrone Beach also captured the judges' interest.

Tourists from the UK and Germany, along with Irish holidaymakers from Dublin, Cork, Galway, Clare, Louth and Kerry, were among the runners-up.

Dr Stewart Stephens, of Gulliver Ireland, said the awards richly illustrate how visiting and domestic tourists perceive Ireland and what symbolises the country for them.

"Bernard O'Sullivan's photograph is a worthy winner that joins a growing collection of award-winning images of Ireland, which record the places and things that make Ireland stand out as a tourist location," he added.

Cormac Leonard, of John Hinde Ireland, said the response to the competition was fantastic.

"The variety of photos submitted was excellent," said Mr Leonard. "We truly have a wonderful country to photograph."

This years competition invites amateur photographers on holiday to submit photographs under the theme An Eye for Ireland.

For further details visit www.goireland.com/photos. Closing date is Wednesday, December 15.

Press Association

thought I would post this up - for anyone considering entering - make sure you read the terms and conditions (I have a vague recollection of people not happy here last year....or maybe that was a dream I had !! )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It's a terrible photo really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It is really, a dark tree blocking any kind of decent view, if there was one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Tearaway

Pay attention to those rules in particular rule 11 and 13

Rule 11; Which states that they can use your picture whereever they like - without ever paying the photographer a cent.. never ever... for as long as they like... Not just the winners picture - just by entering they can use your picture whereever they like... free... for ever...

Rule 13) Which states and they will probably start with John Hinde Calender but if it's a really good pic they can do what ever they like... And they will never pay a cent for it.

It also says that even if you win nothing... but they deceide that you are in the top 12 (just enough for the calender) that they can use your pics too where ever they like and never.. ever pay you a cent.

http://www.goireland.com/photos/terms.htm

Personally I think it's terrible...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I don't see the attraction to this photo at all tbh - it's like a holiday snapshot in my humble opinion - I really liked the photo by the German tourist though

tbh if I took that winning photo it'd probably have been one that I'd have deleted but then art is subjective I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Tearaway wrote: »
    Pay attention to those rules in particular rule 11 and 13

Rule 11; Which states that they can use your picture whereever they like - without ever paying the photographer a cent.. never ever... for as long as they like... Not just the winners picture - just by entering they can use your picture whereever they like... free... for ever...

Rule 13) Which states and they will probably start with John Hinde Calender but if it's a really good pic they can do what ever they like... And they will never pay a cent for it.

It also says that even if you win nothing... but they deceide that you are in the top 12 (just enough for the calender) that they can use your pics too where ever they like and never.. ever pay you a cent.

http://www.goireland.com/photos/terms.htm

Personally I think it's terrible...

If you've been following most threads on here, A lot of competitions are like that now... If you don't like it don't enter.

But you gotta' be in it to win it.

• Advertisement

Ricky91t wrote: »
    If you've been following most threads on here, A lot of competitions are like that now... If you don't like it don't enter.

You goto be in to win alright but just by entering a competition you give over publishing rights to you images...

I can see why the pics in it ain't so good - why would you just give away your good pic...

I think I'll pass ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Tearaway wrote: »
    You goto be in to win alright but just by entering a competition you give over publishing rights to you images...

I can see why the pics in it ain't so good - why would you just give away your good pic...

I think I'll pass ;)

If this persons someone who just treats photography as a hobby then chances are he couldn't care less if his image is used cause he's delighted with the prize and just seeing his image on the yahoo homepage will make his day.

Not everyone who enters these competitions are professionals.

If this persons someone who just treats photography as a hobby then chances are he couldn't care less if his image is used cause he's delighted with the prize and just seeing his image on the yahoo homepage will make his day.

Not everyone who enters these competitions are professionals.

Absolutely... if he's getting a prize - but in this competition - they keep the rights to use your pic even if you don't win...

It's more than just the yahoo home page - they can use it where ever they like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

this is an amateur competition so you wouldn't mind that so much -like as an amateur if I took a nice photo I'd want to share it and if someone published it anywhere I'd be delighted with myself and I'd be going round the place boasting that XXX used my photo for their YYYYY

I'd just be fairly over the moon that someone would want to use my photo at all...

probably a different story for the pros as you'd could potentially be loosing money if someone else uses your photo but for an amateur this isn't an issue really

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's one thing claiming copyright or unlimited use of the winning image, probably simplifies the publicity involved.
    but to harvest the rights of every image entered smacks too much of of them looking for a cheap way of building stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

The sneaky part was, whe then the competition opened, you had to send an e-mail to the marketing dept of the Irish Times I think it was to get the terms & conditions, and yes, it stated that you gave them all rights to your image forever whether you won the competition or not, and by them I mean Bord Failte and the Irish Times :rolleyes: great royalty free stock collection they must have now at this stage!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

http://www.goireland.com/photos/winners2009.htm
    Most of them are fairly crappy in fairness. I see much better images on this forum almost ever day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

they are all just......kind of generic really, I mean grand for advertising but whos judging it?
    I dont know, Im not very good and still learning but Im capable of some of those shots as would many others

Advertisement