Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Narcotics Anonymous?

• 09-08-2010 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm posting in the hope that someone out there might be willing to share any experiences of dealing with NA (Narcotics Anonymous) groups or meeetings in Dublin - positive or negative.
    Please understand that I'm not trying to seek out medical advice, or to go against any charters or board-rules. I feel as if I may have a problem, and I'm trying to take the first step towards solving it. This is very new territory for me and I'm really not sure which way to turn.

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well done on for getting to the point that you can voice that you might have a problem. That took me far too long!

I attended meetings in another country for a while and they were invaluable in helping me understand that I wasn't alone in ANYTHING I was feeling. I had somewhere to express my disappointment with myself, anger, resentments and (most importantly) how to deal with these issues and real life without a crutch. I'd recommend having a look at the NA/CA website and reading through the blurb and seeing if any of it rings true for you.

It's important to recognise is that they do talk about god/higher power in CA (cocaine anonymous) and NA. It was emphasised to me that the higher power was a spiritual hippy-dippy sort of ideal (nature, loved ones, anything that was purely positive and inspiring) but to some people it's more about the God and they seem more religious (and sort of scary to me).

There are a few different types of meetings - step meetings that focus on the 1 of the 12 steps each week, chair meetings where someone shares their road to recovery (experience, strength and hope) and topic meetings where everyone puts a topic into the basket and then the group shares around that subject. Each meeting starts with "readings" from print outs by the attendees (you don't have to read/speak if you don't want to), then chair/reading from one of the suggested texts/topic selection and then the meeting is opened for people to share back and/or talk about what's happening for them with a time limit. I've been at small meetings where you get upto 10 mins but the meetings I've been to in Dublin usually had a limit of 3 mins which is quite a long time. The last 10 minutes is reserved for newcomers. Even if you don't feel you can share, just try and introduce yourself. Then the meeting closes and usually there'll be the "after meeting" which involves a lot of coffee and some great advice (and bad sometimes).

If you do go the N/CA route, I think the best advice I can offer you is to keep an open mind and be honest, willing and open to change but also don't be gullible. There are some unhealthy predators (usually guys latching onto the new girl). Consider advice and new philosophies completely - don't blindly accept what you're being told.

There are other routes as well - Lifering has quite a few meetings in Dublin (not sure about nationwide and I don't have experience with them). There are a lot of addiction help centres and they do more than full time rehabilitation (one on one therapy, reiki and massage (reiki was the ONLY HSE approved treatment for cocaine addiction a few years ago, don't know if that's still true - mad, eh?), acupuncture (which is great for speeding up the withdrawals and lessening how long) and evenings where people just chat.

Keep talking and expressing all you're feeling even if it's just here on this thread. I think suppressing emotions is a huge part of what makes an addict an addict.

What drug do you have a problem with? How much do you use and how often? How long can you go between using? Why do you want to stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi ex NA-er,

Thanks a lot for your very helpful and informative reply, I really appreciate being given some insight into this new and kinda-scary world I'm about to step into.
    I took the plunge and attended a meeting in the city centre last night, it was a powerful and profound experience. At this point, I'm not sure how I feel about attending another. My problem lies with a drug which many consider not to be harmful or addictive in any way, therefore I can't help but question whether I have any right at all to join a group of people who are focused on overcoming addictions related to some of the most harmful and dangerous drugs available. I feel almost embarrassed to compare my problems (which may seem insignificant to many) with the issues faced by the members in last nights' meeting. I am aware that NA focuses on the disease of addiction rather than on any particular drug or substance. Having seen the courage, strength and determination of the members of last nights' meeting, I do not in any way wish to humble or belittle these people by bringing my perhaps-paltry problems to their table.
    Having said that, I feel as if I just cannot go on with the life I am currently living. I have been a user for over 10 years, during these consumption of my drug-of-choice has steadily increased to the point where right now, my entire life revolves around using. I have cut myself off from friends, family and most of the outside world. I am unemployed, and cannot see a way towards finding a job. I have no motivation and even can't get it together enough to carry out simple day-to-day tasks for myself. I am very lucky in that I have a place to live, and a girlfriend who loves me (she is, however, unaware of the true extent of my addiction - I'm pretty good at hiding)
    I know I need to do something, to change my life premanently in a positive way. I'm struggling to find a way to achieve that.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

Hi there,

It is definitely not the amount or type of drug that is important, it is the effect the addiction has on your life. I have an AA background and there is a vast difference between the amounts people comsumed when they were active in fact it's hardly ever mentioned during meetings, unless you tell others. Your problem is not 'paltry' if you feel you cannot live your life like this anymore. Every addict knows this feeling!!

I have some friends in NA and have been invited to a couple of open meeting and I agree they are very powerful and there is a great bond between(maybe even more than AA imo). They really look out for each other, both inside and outside the meeting in my experience.

As you said you saw the courage, strength and determination of the others. They didn't get that overnight, they got it from other members and they in turn will go out of their way to pass it on to you. If I were you I would give them another chance. Whats to lose?

Advertisement