Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neutering question

Options
  • 09-08-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have 2 girls who will need to be neutered soon. I heard of the low cost neutering scheme where you only pay €20 per dog, but you'd have to be on any kind of state benefits.

I decided t ring my vet and ask: €185 per dog !! = €370

I rang the ISPCA in Drumcondra and they do it for €100 each and it's for a good cause ...

my question is: what would you do: would you travel from Meath to Dublin to save €170 ? would the dogs be ok on the way back?

also, be ready for this, the dogs get in at 6.00 to be out by 09.00 p.m !!! thats out just 3 hours after they get in. does that sound right or would you be concerned ?

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreicated ... I mean it's €170 but safety is my number priority ...

Thansk all,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Have you rang any other vets in your area to compare prices as there could be a bit of a difference in vets in the area so maybe try that first.

Regards the time dropping them in to be done, im not 100% but sounds quite short a time to get dropped in, operated on and be ready but maybe ask them why its so quick and they should be able to answer for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

My sister had her female dog neutered in Drumcondra and cant speak highly enough of them. She recovered without problems and healed really quickly. My sister said the staff are friendly too which is always a bonus when your unsure or worried about your dog.

I actually live abroad and its almost common practice over there to operate on dogs, let them come round a bit (making sure all is fine and healthy etc) and then let them go home when they are a bit dopey and out of it. They say that its better for the dog to be back home in its home environment and with familar smells to let it relax and sleep off the anesthetic properly. My dog had an operation and was sent home about 1-2 hours after the operation was finished with no problems at all. Just make sure they have their beds at the ready somewhere warm and cosy and preferably dark and quiet. They should be fine - but Id have no worries about recommending the spca's branch in Drumcondra

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I have rang a few vets and the cheapest I could find was €280 for the 2 dogs ...

If I go for the cheapest, I would "only" save €80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

The only concern I would have would be with the journey home. How long would it take? Would it be fair on a dog just after having a serious operation to be stuck in a car for an hour or more?

EDIT: a spay is a pretty serious op - I would nearly prefer to leave the dog in the vets care for the day in case there was some problem. Anytime I have left a dog into my local vet for a neuter/spay they were kept in till 5pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

Generally alot of vets take animal in at 9.30am and dont let them home until 5-6pm. This is for good reason. What happens if the wound begins to haemorrhage after the surgery like on your way home, etc. i dont want to scare you but just think of the possiblities. The reason we keep dogs, cats etc in is to observe them after the surgery, to ensure they recover from the anaesthetic, wound etc doesnt haemorrhage. OP said it good to let a animal come around in its own environment but believe it or not the recovery from anaesthetic is the time when higher risk of complications arise!!!
    I would prefer personnally my animals to be keep in for a while longer to ensure a full recovery. Hope that helps:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 phaidi

falabo wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have 2 girls who will need to be neutered soon. I heard of the low cost neutering scheme where you only pay €20 per dog, but you'd have to be on any kind of state benefits.

I decided t ring my vet and ask: €185 per dog !! = €370

I rang the ISPCA in Drumcondra and they do it for €100 each and it's for a good cause ...

my question is: what would you do: would you travel from Meath to Dublin to save €170 ? would the dogs be ok on the way back?

also, be ready for this, the dogs get in at 6.00 to be out by 09.00 p.m !!! thats out just 3 hours after they get in. does that sound right or would you be concerned ?

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreicated ... I mean it's €170 but safety is my number priority ...

Thansk all,

That scheme is called the dogs thrust you can check out there website too it does work off a welfare claim tho or if you are on a medical card all they require of you is your pps number and sometimes proof of ur claim usually if you did have a claim or were on a medical card its handy if you contact dogs thrust they will give you a list of vets in your area that will do it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

wow that is expensive - my mam got her dog neutered a few months ago and think it was around €50. Granted we are based in Leitrim but even still that is a huge difference.

which vet in Co Leitrim was it, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

wow reading this makes our family vet sound like a butcher :p
    He's a ''country'' vet through and through. No nurse to assist, dogs go in and out etc but he's fantastic!
    He neutered both my cavs,and I ''assisted'' both times and took them straight home after while he dashed out to help a foaling mare in distress or some other emergency! I havn't gotten either of my akitas done yet but the local vet here in portlaoise quoted something like 280 for a spay but that included keeping them in all day, aftercare etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

adser53 wrote: »
    wow reading this makes our family vet sound like a butcher :p
    He's a ''country'' vet through and through. No nurse to assist, dogs go in and out etc but he's fantastic!
    He neutered both my cavs,and I ''assisted'' both times and took them straight home after while he dashed out to help a foaling mare in distress or some other emergency! I havn't gotten either of my akitas done yet but the local vet here in portlaoise quoted something like 280 for a spay but that included keeping them in all day, aftercare etc

Mine too! When I got my Cavs spayed, I think it was about €50 (years ago) and the vet didn't have an anaesthetic machine or anything, and I took them home straight after, one was still asleep, the others were just waking up I think.

• Advertisement

wow ... after hearing all those stories I think I'll pay a decent vet ... I don't want my dogs to get butchered or take them home when they're still asleep, thats insane!

Again it seems like you get what you pay for !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dublin_Muttley_

The North Dublin S.p.c.a does have a quick turn around time and the dogs generally are VERY sleepy and will sleep the whole way home and usually through the night.
    It is a serious op and other full-time vets keep them in all day.
    I have had dogs spayed and neutered there over the last 15 years and all had no problems at all. I also used to volunteer there as a teen and even into my nursing career. For major operations they have them completed as early as possible so if anything does happen like oozing etc. plus you have a number to call 24 hours in case anything happens or if you are concerned.
    But if you can find some where closer and cheaper it might be better for you! :)

Advertisement