Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The perfect pub

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

baz2009 wrote: »
    My percet pub would be quiet, I can't stand having to shout in pubs, I'm an auld coot under it all.:P

A wonderful selection of ciders, whiskeys, lagers and spirits, maybe let them have Smirnoff Ice.
    Wooden floors, wooden counter, wooden tables and stools, lots of stools.
    Drinking barstaff who are a bit of craic.
    A jukebox that doesn't play dance. Preferably a few ballad tunes(Wolfe Tones and the likes), Johnny Cash and if I'm in the mood, The Killers, Kings of Leon etc.
    A big telly that is only allowed to have the volume up if there's a match on, be that socccer, football, hurling, rugby, darts, boxing..
    Dartboards and a pool table or two.
    A nice sized smoking area with seats.
    No tracksuits allowed(I wear tracksuits, but if you wear them to a pub you can feck off), unless it's the local GAA team coming home from an away match.
    A lovely chipper beside it, and you are allowed to bring your chips into the pub.

While I would agree with having a chipper close by, absolutely no way to bringing them inside the hallowed door of the chapel. The stink when someone else is eating chips is very offputiing when having a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

djimi wrote: »
    Im sure you do, but its incredibly annoying for the other punters who are trying to get to the bar and have to shout past you! :rolleyes:

That's why i say leave a decent, designated space for people walking up to get a drink. As a regualr, I'd be pretty annoyed at my local for not allowing me a high stoll space when it's busy.

Obviously the answer to both our problems here is a snug. God, I love snugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

jester77 wrote: »
    €4.40 for a Guinness :eek: is it really that expensive back in Ireland? My local Irish pub here sells me a pint for €3.60 and Irish bars abroad are known for being expensive!QUOTE]

The first thing that made me think:"how the hell is this possible" is that the Irish pub in my native country is actually a lot cheaper then the ones in Ireland. E 5.70 for a pint in Dublin and 2.70 back home!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    The first thing that made me think:"how the hell is this possible" is that the Irish pub in my native country is actually a lot cheaper then the ones in Ireland. E 5.70 for a pint in Dublin and 2.70 back home!

I know... it's not like we're importing the freacking thing here... it's only driven down the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

My perfect pub would be one with great music, a jukebox for during the day and a good DJ for nights. It can't be too bright (I hate bright pubs) but not so dark that you can't see who you are talking to.

I like seeing a well decorated place, a good theme is always great. I like a mixture of music, movies and art/photography, or any on their own. If no decoration then I like good craftsmanship on the surrounding furniture.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The only exception for food I'd make is complimentry rounds of sambos (cheese or corned beef hash) and cocktail sausages on a Friday afternoon from 6.30 to 7.15.

Saying that, some of my prefered haunts are well known for their tip-top ham and cheese toaties.

Tidy grown up staff gets into my dream boozer too (and a bookies nearby).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Crane Lane imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

TBH it depends on my mood but a couple of things I'd like are

- Nice selection of beers (at a decent price)
    - Decent comfy seats
    - Nice smoking area (even in winter). I don't smoke (anymore) but still like to sit outside if it's a nice area.
    - Clean toilets
    - Nice friendly bar staff

then depending on my mood
    - Quite with no or only low background music
    - If having a jukebox then have a good selection of music
    - Decent pub grub. I don't get this whole only toasties thing. I like my pub to be able to serve food (up to about 8 or 9), so that if I'm hungry I can get something decent and keep going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Im 18 and the OP sounds like my type of pub. Although in my local pints are 2.50 before 9pm.

Advertisement