Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expensive LUAS

Options
  • 09-08-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭

Just home from Oz here a cupla weeks, where I spent 2 years getting trams everyday to and from work. Sometimes getting the train or bus using my same zone 1+2 ticket.
    Anyway, hopped on the LUAS there to go up to the square and sign on.
    In and out in 15 mins, which was grand and being such a nice day, decided to walk home. But then i changed me mind when I saw a nice cosy LUAS parked up right there at the stop and figured I'd bought me ticket so may as well use it. So I sprinted up and just got on it as the doors were closing.

Cupla stops later the inspector gets on. Handed him me ticket no bother. He gives me a funny look and tells me I have the wrong ticket. I told him I didnt. I had the red 4 zone ticket, and it doesnt expire for another hour.

He tells me thats right, but I only have a single ticket, not a return. I'm like "eh...huh?" to which he explains the basic difference between a single and return and fines me 45 euro!

So 2 years of buying zonal tickets and then coming home to single and returns can mess with your head a bit! :(

He gave me a freefone number that I can call and appeal the fine, which I think I'll do. It was an honest mistake, and sure the LUAS was going that way anyway. I doubt my weight would have caused them to go broke with the added electricity it woulda taken for 3 stops!! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

ha, thats a **** one that you got fined alright.

Im only home 2 weeks and have been moaning about the buses since! Got a bus into town a couple of days after getting back, was only in town for 15mins to pick something up, paid for the bus home, mate rings me so I decide to pop into him on the way back. jump off the bus call into him for a short while then back on the bus again. I paid 3 times for the bus... when one 2hr ticket woulda done the trick.

Welcome home!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Melbourne tram gestapo are worse. I was going to play a football match, grabbed my gear and jumped on the tram, went straight to the on-board machine to get a ticket and realised I'd left my wallet at home, jumped off at the next stop to go back and get my wallet and low-and-behold, the Yarra Tram Nazi's were waiting, all 7 of them. As soon as I stepped off the tram I was asked for a ticket, explained to Mr. Himmler what had happened and he just said "Sorry, you still need a ticket". He asked me for I.D., and I explained to him that all I had in my kitbag was boots, shorts and a bottle of water. He then asked me did I have anything that would confirm my identity, like a bank statement or rent book. I said again that all I had was what was in my kitbag. He said "Well, you're gonna have to prove your identity". I said "What if I can't". "Well, we'll have to arrest you until the police arrive".
    20 minutes later, after sitting there with a semi-circle of Gestappo surrounding me so I can't do a runner, the cops show up and ask me all the same questions. Then they put me in the back of the police van, drove me 1 block back to my house and took a photo of my ID.
    Had a good chat with the cop about what happened. Usually, the police have to drop you back to where the offense took place, but the cop said to me "Mate, were sick of this bull**** from tram inspectors. Where are you headed?", told them I was going to play a match, he then drove me from Fitzroy to Albert Park for the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

haha fair play to the cops.
    Ye its a pity theres no 2 hour, or zone tickets over here. Though I guess thats an issue for the transport forum!

Gonna try this appeal tomorrow maybe. I have 2 weeks to pay and 30 days to appeal apparently! Hopin I get away with it coz it'll be a quarter of me dole money gone before I even get it!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

How strict are the Luas inspectors? I've only used the Luas once and genuinely forgot to buy a ticket. I gave a false name and address, wasn't even asked for ID. That's going back about 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i gave me real name coz I was still thinkin in melbourne terms where they get ID and proof of address.
    This bloke just asked me my name and address and walked off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Friend of mine lives on the South Circular Road. One day there was a knock at the door and they were asking for someone with a name that sounded Eastern Eurpoean who lived there. She explained that nobody of that name lived there nor had they done so for the past 50 years. He did not believe her at first as he had that name & address which must be correct as it was given on the Luas to the inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I’ve been caught twice with no ticket here and got off without a fine both times in Melbourne. Having an Irish accent and knowledge of a backpackers in the city center has helped me get away with it both times. It helped that I was on my way camping one day so had a backpack on so I just claimed I was going back to Ireland that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

CabanSail wrote: »
    Friend of mine lives on the South Circular Road. One day there was a knock at the door and they were asking for someone with a name that sounded Eastern Eurpoean who lived there. She explained that nobody of that name lived there nor had they done so for the past 50 years. He did not believe her at first as he had that name & address which must be correct as it was given on the Luas to the inspector.

Sort of proves your sig ...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Hmm...B Man I would imagine the inspectors use the appeal number thing all the time to get people off their case and avoid complainers. Honest mistake or not, you really don't have a leg to stand on at this stage but good luck - maybe if you're one of these people who kicks and screams to the last you might get away with it :).

There are 2 types of people in this world, the type who get caught without a tram or train ticket, give a false address, are cocky enough not to give a f&ck and in the end get away with it; and the type who just aren't like that and face the music. I reckon there is enough of the former around to merit ticket inspectors being d1cks.

I got caught myself in Sydney one Saturday night in Kings Cross by a cop out to catch people with drugs. I hadn't bought a ticket because I didn't have change for the machine and the booth was closed so I chanced it and coming out of the station I guess it looked pretty obvious when I walked right up to the turnstyle before realising and then I had to walk around to the open turnstyle. Man did I get an earful from him and he thought he was smart enough to point out that the fine of $500 was 250 pounds thinking I was from the UK (not sure if that's even the actual fine). I don't take being talked down to well, but I managed to hold it together and he let me go in the end if I agreed to buy a ticket at the booth. (I might also point out that there are 2 types of people in this world - the type who can enjoy themselves in Kings Cross and the type who can't, I fall into the latter [edit: if I was the former, I would have decked that cop].)

Advertisement