Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help in the gym...........

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Mellor wrote: »
    That's not true.
    147 is just a guide, be would be fine going to 200g or above.
    And saying that calories don't matter is wrong. Even if he ate 300g of protein but didn't go over maintenance calories he wouldn't put on any muscle, bar prehaps newbie gains if he has fat to lose.

Yes 147 is just a guide. that's why I said you should *try* to consume 147g of protein. No offence to billyhead but at 6ft and 10.5 stone I doubt consuming 200g of protein is within the scope of realism. I didn't say calories don't matter, at his weight he's main concentration is building muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,777 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yes 147 is just a guide. that's why I said you should *try* to consume 147g of protein. No offence to billyhead but at 6ft and 10.5 stone I doubt consuming 200g of protein is within the scope of realism. I didn't say calories don't matter, at his weight he's main concentration is building muscle.

Thanks for the advice. So the point is to eat as much as I can per day but make sure its clean food and not to worry about the number of carbs, protein grams etc I consume. Obviously trining with weights at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

billyhead wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. So the point is to eat as much as I can per day but make sure its clean food and not to worry about the number of carbs, protein grams etc I consume. Obviously trining with weights at the same time.

Exactly! Perfect the compound lifts (squats, deadlift,etc) these will work all your muscles as opposed to doing isolation weights (bicep curls). Check out Transform link on the other page for info on foods to eat. Try one of the 5 x 5 programs (Starting Strength or Strong Man). Don't mess around with the program and don't listen to your buddy when he tells you isolation exercises are better. Try to train 3 times a week if not 2. If you do all this I can promise you will notice a difference every week. As Dominic from Transform says, you should always be aiming to get stronger. Good luck with it and keep the motivation up!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,254 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

200g is only 800 calories, I don't see why that's not within the scope of realism. He'll be eating 2-3k calories a day

Advertisement