Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin O'Neill resigns

• 09-08-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

:confused::confused::eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Breaking news on SSN now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What the ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

why wait until the season is about to start? Must be something to do with Milner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

over Milner?

that's all i can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I assume somebody was sold without his consent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Did not see that coming! Only reason I can think of is Milner

Poor Villa, only a week from the start of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

PHB wrote: »
    I assume somebody was sold without his consent.

Very Keegan-esque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Did not get the boards support and did not look like serious challengers for the top 4 after so much promise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

**** Me!

A few weeks earlier and he would be in Anfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

anyone got a link? i cant see it on SS or on BBC yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

bijapos wrote: »
    **** Me!

good God no.

but let's not get into that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

bijapos wrote: »
    **** Me!

thank god for that then..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

pram.jpg

Crazy! Where did you hear this? If he has left over the "milner deal" thats a bit mad, especially as they were getting big money and a player of similar quality in exchange.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Did not get the boards support and did not look like serious challengers for the top 4 after so much promise

I just stared at that for 30 seconds wondering what boards.ie have to do with this........until I read it again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Where did I put that betting slip...

Cheers, Martin.

its all over twitter at the moment anyway - from proper journos

Quandary wrote: »
    anyone got a link? i cant see it on SS or on BBC yet?
    It is all over SSN, they had statements from MON and the Board about it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Big loss for Villa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm guessing Young might have something to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

21 posts in 6 minutes?

This will overtake a league of ireland weekend thread in under 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

SlickRic wrote: »
    over Milner?

that's all i can think of.

Doubt it - I wouldn't be surprised if Young was sold behind his back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Very bad news for AVFC IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Shame for Villa, he had built a nice squad too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Holy carp! So late in teh summer, whos the number two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I'm shocked.

Brutal timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Hmmm probably a huge mistake made somewhere here. I can only imagine it's over James Milner.

Less than a week to go. Someone has fúcked up somewhere at Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Suprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Gotta be Milner surely? Who's he gonna manage next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Martin O'Neill wouldn't quit over something small. Its been clear that himself and Milner have been at odds for a while but I wouldn't expect it has anything to do with that.

Maybe they agreed to sell somebody else like Ashley Young or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Wow. He's a great manager so he shouldn't have any problem getting work but I didn't expect that at all :eek:

Damn James Milner :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Devastated, not because I thought he was a world class manager, but because no half decent manager will touch Villa with a barge pole a week before the new season. Leaves no time for the new manager to make any desired changes.

Have a bad feeling that this is Villa going back on the managerial roundabout :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Aston Villa can confirm that Martin O'Neill has resigned as manager of the football club with immediate effect.

Kevin MacDonald, reserve team manager, has assumed the role of caretaker manager and will prepare the team for the opening Barclays Premier League game of the season against West Ham on Saturday at Villa Park.

Paul Faulkner, chief executive of Aston Villa, said: "The club would like to thank Martin for the great work he has done at Aston Villa over the past four years. He has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

Martin O'Neill said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager. I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties."

No further comment will be made by either Aston Villa or Martin O'Neill until further notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,846 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

:eek:

Where could he go now?

Aston Villa can confirm that Martin O'Neill has resigned as manager of the football club with immediate effect.

Kevin MacDonald, reserve team manager, has assumed the role of caretaker manager and will prepare the team for the opening Barclays Premier League game of the season against West Ham on Saturday at Villa Park.

Paul Faulkner, chief executive of Aston Villa, said: "The club would like to thank Martin for the great work he has done at Aston Villa over the past four years. He has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

Martin O'Neill said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager. I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club in the immediate short-term with regard to the handover of my duties."

No further comment will be made by either Aston Villa or Martin O'Neill until further notice.

Club Statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

BOMBSHELL !!!!!!

.....and Hughes is gone to Fulham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Villa have lost a competent, above average manager.

I think they can do better.

If i were them i would look at someone like Roberto Martinez. Despite the couple of heavy defeats last season i think he is doing well at Wigan despite the loss of some key players last season. I think he has huge potential as a manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Doubt it - I wouldn't be surprised if Young was sold behind his back though.
    I hadn't read the thread before I posted, same thought exactly. I seriously doubt its about Milner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Mark Hughes must be raging he didnt hold out another week. Would surely have been favorite to take over if he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It was only 2-1 they lost to Bohs, nothing major, definitely not worth resigning for!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I wouldn't say it's to do with selling Milner unless it's more to do with him being sick of what football has become, i.e. money talks.

But it's possibly something to do with Ashley Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

has to be that young was gonna be sold, or he was getting no money for transfers from the milner sale

It can not be over Milner, if it was he would have walked earlier not when he is getting a great price for him and a good replacement thrown in.

I agree with other posters that Young might have been sold behind his back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

WTF, I can only assume it's something to do with transfers.

Possibly something to do with the agreement to take Ireland as part of the Milner deal? Either that or something to do with Young

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I have a funny feeling this isn't related to football issues, could his wife be ill again? Hopefully not of course.

JPA wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's to do with selling Milner unless it's more to do with him being sick of what football has become, i.e. money talks.

But it's possibly something to do with Ashley Young.

whats the story with young?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Hopefully this means an easy win for West Ham on the first day aswell :D

whats the story with young?

I'd love to know the same. Luke or Ashley?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement