Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin O'Neill resigns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

eagle eye wrote: »
    Every club brings in players that don't live up to expectations. Off the top of my head I'll go with Nani, Hargreaves, Anderson, Tosic at United, Babel, Pennant, Dossena, Riera at Liverpool, Arsenal don't spend much compared to others on big players as they spend a fortune on youth but still Eduardo, Walcott and Rosicky haven't live up to expectations, Spurs then well there are loads but the ones that stand out are Bentley, Woodgate, Hutton, Chimbonda, Pavyluchenko, Dos Santos. City have their fair share too with Santa Cruz, Jo, Benjani, Caicedo and Lescott among them.

Bad example. Hargreaves is an excellent player who has been plagued with injuries. I agree with the others though I still feel Nani has potential.

I'm amazed at some of the Villa fans slagging off O'Neill. I think he did a pretty good job there. He established Villa as a top-tier team who were constantly pushing for a top 6 finish and were even in the running for top 4 at one stage. What more do you want? They'll probably hire Steve Staunton to replace him, then you'll all be begging O'Neill to come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Bad example. Hargreaves is an excellent player who has been plagued with injuries. I agree with the others though I still feel Nani has potential.

I'm amazed at some of the Villa fans slagging off O'Neill. I think he did a pretty good job there. He established Villa as a top-tier team who were constantly pushing for a top 6 finish and were even in the running for top 4 at one stage. What more do you want? They'll probably hire Steve Staunton to replace him, then you'll all be begging O'Neill to come back.

It's one 'fan' in particular. I think the rest of us agree that MON did a good job while at Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I think im right in saying that ashley young is the top wage earner at villa on 65k p/w. For villa to get better overall results they would have to delve much much deeper .....OR......keep the good players they have and try to improve that way. I cant see any other reason for o'neill leaving than the projected xfer of milner. It wouldnt surprise me at all if MON stayed, had he been told that he had no funds available but could keep who he wanted. He took leicester to 9th on sweet fa.

The milner saga has just brought it one step too far for MON imo. If i was a villa fan id be worried of a big slip over the next 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

daithijjj wrote: »
    I think im right in saying that ashley young is the top wage earner at villa on 65k p/w. For villa to get better overall results they would have to delve much much deeper .....OR......keep the good players they have and try to improve that way. I cant see any other reason for o'neill leaving than the projected xfer of milner. It wouldnt surprise me at all if MON stayed, had he been told that he had no funds available but could keep who he wanted. He took leicester to 9th on sweet fa.

He spent almost half a BILLION at villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Helix wrote: »
    He spent almost half a BILLION at villa

• Advertisement

Aren't you including his wages in that figure?

Yup, hes the one who had players on stupid wages, so its his spend

It's abit disingenuous to say he spent half a billion on players. If talking about any other manager's transfer dealings wages wouldnt usually come into it.

Dempsey wrote: »
    To discuss that, I think we'd be told to get our own thread!

Ignore him. They just don't get iit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I'm sure the Chief executive was also involved in contract negotiations

It's abit disingenuous to say he spent half a billion on players. If talking about any other manager's transfer dealings wages wouldnt usually come into it.

Its from people saying he wasnt backed financially. How is a 400m+ not being backed financially, thats my point

• Advertisement

Its from people saying he wasnt backed financially. How is a 400m+ not being backed financially, thats my point
    I think you know what i meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Christ give it a rest, your like a daily mail journalist trying to sensationalise the story by throwing wages into the mix, EPL teams spend alot of money on players wages.

He had a net spend Of approx £80million, to completely revamp a struggling side.

It's one 'fan' in particular. I think the rest of us agree that MON did a good job while at Villa

Apologies to the rest of the Villa supporters.

Christ give it a rest, your like a daily mail journalist trying to sensationalise the story by throwing wages into the mix, EPL teams spend alot of money on players wages.

He had a net spend Of approx £80million, to completely revamp a struggling side.

Good point. I don't know why people are bringing wages into it. All the top PL clubs spend big money on wages, regardless of their activity in the transfer market. And if Villa are overpaying a few players they'd hardly be alone in that. The PL is awash with vastly overpaid players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

ziggy wrote: »

Do not tar us all with the same brush as Helix, he just likes to be controversial

I have nothing against Celtic, But people in glass houses...............

Do be careful. I believe trolling incurs a ban from the soccer forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Net On Transfer Fees: £92.05m

wages 06/07 season: £38
    wages 07/08 season: £42
    wages 08/09 season: £72m
    wage approximation 09/10 season: £85m

Total wages during MONs reign: £392.05m
    Plus net spend: £421.1m

Almost half a billion pound during his tenureship... and people say he wasnt backed enough
    How does 38 + 42 + 72 + 85 add up to 392.05?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Good point. I don't know why people are bringing wages into it. All the top PL clubs spend big money on wages, regardless of their activity in the transfer market. And if Villa are overpaying a few players they'd hardly be alone in that. The PL is awash with vastly overpaid players.

Correct that we don't generally include wage spends when calcuating how much a manager or a team spent. But we definitely should. IMO not factoring in wage spends makes any comparsion between managers or teams on transfer spends a nonsense.

For example Spurs might buy the Nice striker Remy for £12M. Reportedly he's looking for £30k a week as that would more than treble his current salary. Over 4 years that's a total cost of £18M.

Liverpool got Joe Cole on a free but are reportedly paying him £19M over 4 years.

Just looking on the face of it you'd say Spurs outspent Liverpool by £12M, when in actual fact Liverpool outspent Spurs by £1M.

(I know Spurs might not buy him, and the figures mightnt be 100% spot on, just using it as an example).

Correct that we don't generally include wage spends when calcuating how much a manager or a team spent. But we definitely should. IMO not factoring in wage spends makes any comparsion between managers or teams on transfer spends a nonsense.

For example Spurs might buy the Nice striker Remy for £12M. Reportedly he's looking for £30k a week as that would more than treble his current salary. Over 4 years that's a total cost of £18M.

Liverpool got Joe Cole on a free but are reportedly paying him £19M over 4 years.

Just looking on the face of it you'd say Spurs outspent Liverpool by £12M, when in actual fact Liverpool outspent Spurs by £1M.

(I know Spurs might not buy him, and the figures mightnt be 100% spot on, just using it as an example).

Ye i see what your getting at, but i'd have to question some of these wage figures being thrown about, ie. i can't believe Spurs have spent less on players wages than Villa last season, Their top earner Modric, is apparently on £80k+ a week, Villas is Ash Young, recently signed £65k a week deal, Spurs have a bigger squad and have players like Crouch and Bentley on the bench, it doesnt add up for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

This forum is obsessed, OBSESSED, with money, you'd think it was an accountancy forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

JPA wrote: »
    This forum is obsessed, OBSESSED, with money, you'd think it was an accountancy forum.

NET NET NET NET NET :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ye i see what your getting at, but i'd have to question some of these wage figures being thrown about, ie. i can't believe Spurs have spent less on players wages than Villa last season, Their top earner Modric, is apparently on £80k+ a week, Villas is Ash Young, recently signed £65k a week deal, Spurs have a bigger squad and have players like Crouch and Bentley on the bench, it doesnt add up for me!
    Modric is on 70k a week since last month when he signed a new contract eas leaked to Croatian press also spurs entire reserve team was sent on loan last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

JPA wrote: »

Eh, you are aware that the core subject matter is modern professional football right? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Eh, you are aware that the core subject matter is modern professional football right? :confused:

Yep, it's still about what happens on the pitch last time I checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Dempsey wrote: »
    NET NET NET NET NET :pac:

Thats just gross

eagle eye wrote: »
    How does 38 + 42 + 72 + 85 add up to 392.05?

ask me calculator lol

It's one 'fan' in particular.

im a villa fan, not a martin o'neill fan like some on here seem to be

im happy hes out of my club

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Do not tar us all with the same brush as Helix, he just likes to be controversial

i really dont, i just give whatever my opinion is

i never rated mon

ever

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Sven and Southgate have thrown their hats into the ring according to BBC.

I dont want or really rate Southgate and i dont know what to think about Sven as he is very capable and could be the type we need but hes a mercenary pure and simple not the type id like unless there was no alternative of a similar standard.

sven could well build on whats there with some exciting signings, but he wouldnt take the job unless buckets of cash was being made available to him

and some sexy secretaries

Ok Helix, everyone knows you despise MON. Is there nothing nice you can say about him?

Surely you must agree that he has done good for Villa over his 4/5 seasons?
    im a villa fan, not a martin o'neill fan like some on here seem to be

im happy hes out of my club

Surely you have to agree he did some good with our club

For the money he spent he met the bare minimum in expected achievement, no more no less. He shouldve gone last summer imo when it was clear he couldnt take us where we want to be

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Hard to believe anyone would be happy to lose MON as their manager and have him replaced with Sven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Given the rumours about approaches for Hughes, Moyes and Jol, I think it's fair to say that early indications that Lerner is prepared to spend money to get in a decent manager.

I really couldnt see any of those being tempted to the club if it was a case that they would be working under the same terms as MON this summer (cut the wage bill/clear out the dross/sell to buy) so I would be expecting Lerner to make
    Martin O'Neill quits as Aston Villa manager after transfer funds row
    • Club stunned by O'Neill's exit five days before season
    • Block on spending money from Milner sale the final straw
    Stuart James guardian.co.uk, Monday 9 August 2010 22.31 BST Article history

Aston Villa were thrown into turmoil last night after Martin O'Neill resigned as manager just five days before the new season starts. Villa have refused to disclose any reasons behind the decision, which was confirmed in a statement yesterday afternoon, but the tipping point for O'Neill was when he learned he would not be able to reinvest the majority of the money generated from James Milner's move to Manchester City.

Although O'Neill's decision to end his four-year reign does not come as a great surprise – he admitted he was considering his future four months ago as his relationship with the chairman, Randy Lerner, began to unravel – the timing has come as a shock. Villa play West Ham United on Saturday and unless Lerner can make a quick appointment, Kevin MacDonald, the reserve-team manager, will take charge in a caretaker capacity.

Perhaps of greatest concern to Lerner and Villa's chief executive, Paul Faulkner, is that there is no obvious candidate to fill O'Neill's position. Mark Hughes would have been nailed on to get the job had he not taken over at Fulham a few weeks ago, and the Welshman must be cursing Martin Jol's decision to remain at Ajax rather than move to Craven Cottage. Jol has now been linked with the Villa position while Bob Bradley, the United States coach, has also been touted.

How much money the new Villa manager has to spend will be of great interest given the manner of O'Neill's departure. Lerner has invested £179m since assuming control in 2006 – his arrival coinciding with the appointment of O'Neill – but he made it clear at the end of last season that he was no longer willing to bankroll huge spending sprees. Villa posted a record pre-tax loss of £46m for the 2008-09 season as the wage bill during that period climbed to £71m, up 42% on the previous 12 months. Last season's accounts are expected to be even worse.

O'Neill was told in January that he would have to offload players to reduce the financial burden but only Craig Gardner was moved on. The first cracks in the O'Neill-Lerner relationship began to appear during that period and by the time the season came to a close the two men, at one time so close, had become increasingly distant and no longer shared the same vision for the club. O'Neill was informed he would have to work within a "sell-to-buy" policy that he described as "not ideal".

Last Friday night, following the friendly against Valencia and with Milner's transfer edging closer, O'Neill was asked how much he would be able to spend of the money that Villa received from City. He replied that he would "need to speak to the chairman and chief executive about that". The answer O'Neill subsequently received from Lerner and Faulkner appears to have convinced him he would be unable to make Villa a competitive force again next season, following three successive top-six finishes.

Villa's players were completely unaware that O'Neill was about to quit. The manager reported to Bodymoor Heath as normal yesterday and was out on the training field working with the squad in the morning. He gave no indication he was going to resign, leaving the players to find out when rumours began to spread and the odds on O'Neill being the first manager to leave his job this season started to tumble.

O'Neill was given far more control at Villa than many of his Premier League counterparts, although his replacement will not be allowed to operate from the same powerbase. Lerner and Faulkner, who has more responsibility since taking on the role of chief executive, have learned lessons after seeing a number of squad players pick up huge wages but rarely contribute. Six of them were put up for sale this summer but five remain at the club due in no small part to their salaries.

Yet O'Neill can point to the signings of Milner and Ashley Young as success stories. Villa will more than double their money on Milner, whose transfer to City is expected to go through in the next few days with or without Stephen Ireland moving in the opposite direction. Young would also command twice as much as the £9.5m Villa paid for him. Tottenham are considering tabling an offer as they seek to capitalise on yesterday's events.

"I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely," O'Neill said. "It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/09/martin-oneill-quits-aston-villa
    O'Neill quits over transfer budget and Milner sale

US coach Bradley is favourite for Villa job after Lerner refuses to back manager's spending plan

By Sam Wallace Tuesday, 10 August 2010

O'Neill has delivered three successive sixth-place finishes in the Premier League as Villa manger, but the rise of Manchester City has had an effect on their attempts to break into the top four

Martin O'Neill's difficult relationship with the Aston Villa owner, Randy Lerner, finally cracked yesterday when O'Neill left the club just five days before the start of the new Premier League season following long- running disagreements over transfer funds for new players.

It has been an open secret in football this summer that Villa have been unwilling to move forward on the acquisition of players because O'Neill had not come to an agreement over the transfer funds to be made available to him.

While O'Neill wanted investment in transfers again this summer – he believed that Villa had to spend £30m each summer just to maintain their position – Lerner and the club's hierarchy felt that they had already paid out significant sums on transfer fees and wages. They also believed that they had paid out for certain players who had not gone on to establish themselves in the first team.

O'Neill's relationship with Lerner deteriorated last season with the club forced to deny reports in March he had walked out. By Friday he was not even on the touchline for the friendly against Valencia. In O'Neill's departure statement it was telling that he omitted the American chairman from those he thanked for their service.

The imminent sale of James Milner to Manchester City in a deal worth £24m has also increased the tension at the club. Last week, when Milner was left out the Villa squad for the Valencia game as a precursor to the deal, O'Neill raised doubts around the assumption that Lerner would allow him to reinvest money from Milner's sale. O'Neill said: "Did he?" when it was put to him that Lerner had made such assurances.

O'Neill added: "I need to speak to the chairman. For a number of days in this transfer saga with Manchester City, you have known my position in terms of what I have been advocating and thinking about. But it really has been the chairman [Lerner] and chief executive [Paul Faulkner] who have been dealing with it."

The Villa board has told O'Neill in the past that it cannot sustain the level of investment that Lerner has made in the club in recent years and have pointed to players signed by the manager who have not made the grade. Those include Curtis Davies (£8m), Nigel Reo-Coker (£7m), Steven Sidwell (£5m), Nicky Shorey (£3.5m), Emile Heskey (£3.5m) and Habib Beye (£2.5m).

There have also been suggestions that Ashley Young could be another potential sale this summer – with Tottenham Hotspur his destination – although that deal would still require a lot of negotiation.

The United States national team coach, Bob Bradley, was installed as a favourite to succeed O'Neill – potentially an intriguing move from Lerner. In the meantime, the reserve team coach Kevin MacDonald will take charge of the Villa team for the game against West Ham on Saturday.

Lerner, who inherited the then recently appointed O'Neill when he bought the club from Doug Ellis in 2006, has invested around £90m of his own money in players. In that time, the club have twice broken their transfer record in signing Milner for £12m from Newcastle United two years ago and then Stewart Downing for roughly the same price last summer. Ashley Young cost £9.65m from Watford in January 2007.

In return O'Neill has delivered three successive sixth-place finishes in the Premier League but the rise of Manchester City, in particular, has had an effect on their attempts to break into the top four. As well as Milner, City also signed the then Villa captain Gareth Barry last summer.

Regarded as a potential successor to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United – and only just overlooked for the England manager's job in 2006 – it remains to be seen how O'Neill's departure from Villa will affect his long-term prospects. He is one of the brightest managers in the Premier League and, at 58, he is coming into arguably his prime years as a coach.

O'Neill said last night that he had enjoyed his time at the club "immensely". He said: "It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the players, my coaching staff and the supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me during my time as manager. I wish them all the best for the future. I will obviously be assisting the club with regard to the handover of my duties."

The Villa chief executive, Paul Faulkner, said: "The club would like to thank Martin for the great work he has done at Aston Villa over the past four years. He has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have qualified for European competition for the past three seasons. We wish him the best in the future."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/oneill-quits-over-transfer-budget-and-milner-sale-2048007.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ask me calculator lol
    So what you are now saying is that the correct figure is £327 million over the 4 years that Martin O'Neill has been at Villa Park.

Thats just under £82 million per year on wages and transfers.

Still I have a problem with that because the Deloitte report gives different and higher figures than you have. It also gives higher figures for other clubs too. Whats clear from this report is that Aston Villa's wages were under the average Premier League wage bill for the first two years of Martin O'Neill's reign at Villa Park. I don't know what the wages have been the last two years but its quite clear that Villa were a long, long way behind the big boys and behind Tottenham for the first two years. I think when wages for the last two years come out you will see an enormous increase in the wage bills of both Tottenham and Aston Villa.

The average Premier League wage bill in 2006/07 was 48.5 million while Villa's wage bill was 43 million. Thats 3.5 million under the average wage bill and that gap grew the following year with Villa's wages hitting 50 million but the average wage increasing to 60 million.

Aston Villa had the 7th highest wage bill for the 2006/07 season behind Chelsea 133 million, Manchester United 92 million, Arsenal 90 million, Liverpool 77 million, Newcastle United 57 million and Tottenham Hotspur 44 million.

Aston Villa dropped in 2007/08 to 9th place on the wage bill list with both Portsmouth and Manchester City jumping ahead of them.

Figures for that year were as follows with previous year in brackets and all in millions obviously.

Chelsea £172(£133)
    Manchester United £121(£92)
    Arsenal £101(£90)
    Liverpool £90(£77)
    Newcastle United £75(£56)
    Portsmouth £55(£37)
    Manchester City £54(£36)
    Tottenham Hotspur £53(£44)
    Aston Villa £50(£43)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/chelsea/5436621/Chelsea-the-Premier-Leagues-biggest-spenders-with-172m-wage-bill.html

For the money he spent he met the bare minimum in expected achievement, no more no less. He shouldve gone last summer imo when it was clear he couldnt take us where we want to be

Which is where exactly? You're not living in the real world. O'Neill had Villa consistently up and around the top 6 and qualifying for Europe, that's as good as it was ever gonna get.

You speak of the money he spent as though he was splashing out huge transfer fees on Messis and Ronaldinhos and the like, which was never the case. He got Villa as far as he could with what he had available to him. You can dream of winning the champions league all you want but that isn't likely to happen anytime soon, unless you get a very rich owner and go down the Man City route.

Which is where exactly? You're not living in the real world. O'Neill had Villa consistently up and around the top 6 and qualifying for Europe, that's as good as it was ever gonna get.

You speak of the money he spent as though he was splashing out huge transfer fees on Messis and Ronaldinhos and the like, which was never the case. He got Villa as far as he could with what he had available to him. You can dream of winning the champions league all you want but that isn't likely to happen anytime soon, unless you get a very rich owner and go down the Man City route.

less net spend than spurs, less wages paid than spurs

for what he spent on transfer fees and the wages players were on, top 6 was the absolute minimum requirement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not going to bother reading this whole thread but I'd like to give my two cents. I've always felt Martin O'Neill did a tremendous job at Aston Villa and never got enough credit for it, particularly considering where they were under O'Leary before he took over. I heard Andy Gray for example really laying into O'Neill yesterday on SSN which bugged me, as well as fans writing in saying his style of play wasn't exciting enough.

In my view Villa are going to decline rapidly without O'Neill and those fans who trashed him will realise that they had a pretty sweet deal going while he was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I'm not going to bother reading this whole thread but I'd like to give my two cents. I've always felt Martin O'Neill did a tremendous job at Aston Villa and never got enough credit for it, particularly considering where they were under O'Leary before he took over. I heard Andy Gray for example really laying into O'Neill yesterday on SSN which bugged me, as well as fans writing in saying his style of play wasn't exciting enough.

In my view Villa are going to decline rapidly without O'Neill and those fans who trashed him will realise that they had a pretty sweet deal going while he was there.

I think your prediction will be proved laughably wrong provided Lerner finds a good manager. MON did a decent job at Villa but thats all in the past now, sure this season might turn out to be a season in transition but we still have a decent first XI, lots of decent youngsters and there'll be more transfer cash, we're not a car crash club like Newcastle for example. In short, there'll be some short term upheaval but the future is still bright for the Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

the funny thing about the likes of Spurs, Villa and even Man City fans is that they have short memories. Everton have proven that even without splashing loads of money that outside the 'big 4' we have consistently finished higher than them apart from last season. Spurs will flop in the CL this season and finish 10 while Villa will probualy find losing MON a big blow and as for City....wasted money, they will be relegated in a few season due to administration after Mohamed leaves them

Villa fans have short memories? hmm I disagree. Its not the Villa fans in general that have been playing up Villa's top four credentials nor are they the ones in general forecasting doom and gloom now that MONs gone. We say his flaws, we saw Villa's flaws, we consistantly spoke about them in the Villa thread and discussed most usually negatively tactics and team selection/squad depth. Villa have however made constant progress during the MON years (not fully atributable to him of course) and are now a far more attractive club going forward even if this season is now looking much more daunting. If anything its other fans who have beenreferring to Villa as a small club and other such comments that seem to suggest that other teams fans have short memories. The established big teams have not always been so, Villa are a huge club and should be respected even if a few Villa fans voicing their honest opinion about other teams (right or wrong) in the past has potentially riled you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Villa fans have short memories? hmm I disagree. Its not the Villa fans in general that have been playing up Villa's top four credentials nor are they the ones in general forecasting doom and gloom now that MONs gone. We say his flaws, we saw Villa's flaws, we consistantly spoke about them in the Villa thread and discussed most usually negatively tactics and team selection/squad depth. Villa have however made constant progress during the MON years (not fully atributable to him of course) and are now a far more attractive club going forward even if this season is now looking much more daunting. If anything its other fans who have beenreferring to Villa as a small club and other such comments that seem to suggest that other teams fans have short memories. The established big teams have not always been so, Villa are a huge club and should be respected even if a few Villa fans voicing their honest opinion about other teams (right or wrong) in the past has potentially riled you up.

ive nothing against Villa. they are a proper likable run club. having said that though, Villa, Spurs, City, have all failed to achieve the consistency Everton have in the past 4 or 5 seasons. apart for Spurs last season , Everton have been the only club to break into the 'top 4' yet we never get the media praise for how our club is run, properly. Its always Spurs this and Citeh that, even Villa get more coverage yet Everton have achieved more than all of the them in last few years on much less money. Sickening, but more enjoyable when we continue to be the next most likely club to break the top 4, which we shall do this season :D

did i get carried away with my post? sorry its a Villa thread doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Spurs are in the top 4.

Everton are always spoken of well in the media, especially Moyes.

Villa will be fine. the flurry of bets on them being relegated was comical. as pointed out, they've still got a bright enough young team. if they only sell Milner, and get in a manager of decent calibre, i expect them to be quite comfortably top half and challenging for the UEFA Cup places this year.

O'Neill, though he did a good a job, didn't do an impossible job. the next manager hasn't got giant boots to fill or anything, just regular sized shoes.

I did state Spurs ar in the top 4. Everton get peepoor coverage on MotD, we get about 30 seconds right at the end espically when we're beating the Utds and Chelskis :D Moyes only gets good coverage when touted as the next Utd manager or even Villa manager, totally disrespecting of Everton. I think Villa will struggle without MON thought he transformed them from at midish table team into a top 4 contender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Colm_purchase

Bye bye Martin and thank you for 4 great years of service.
    Thank you for bringing European football back to villa park consistently.
    Thank you for leaving a strong young squad and helping create a structure whereby we have arguably the strongest domestic youth team scheme in England.
    As to why exactly he left when he did we can only speculate and until more is said there is little sense in starting to finger point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ive nothing against Villa. they are a proper likable run club. having said that though, Villa, Spurs, City, have all failed to achieve the consistency Everton have in the past 4 or 5 seasons. apart for Spurs last season , Everton have been the only club to break into the 'top 4' yet we never get the media praise for how our club is run, properly. Its always Spurs this and Citeh that, even Villa get more coverage yet Everton have achieved more than all of the them in last few years on much less money. Sickening, but more enjoyable when we continue to be the next most likely club to break the top 4, which we shall do this season :D

I'd get my facts straight before piping up if I were you...

Last 5 seasons:

Spurs|Everton
    5th|11th
    5th|6th
    11th|5th
    8th|5th
    4th|8th

Go further back and you'll see Everton finish above Spurs about 5 times since the PL's inception, and you'll see Villa challenging for the title in it's early years (you might have blocked those years out, you were scrambling to avoid relegation at the time)

Yes you've a fantastic manager, and yes you operate on a much smaller budget, but lets not lose the run of ourselves, shall we?

Back on topic, I see O'Neill's departure in a similar way to Martin Jol's from Tottenham, in the past they'd both have been given the time to adjust but the cost associated with relative failure (dependant on how much each had to spend) means club owners have much more to lose by sticking with a manager who is not "delivering".

For Villa's sake they have to hope they get his replacement right, more 'Arry than Juande...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

With Coppell resigning as manager of Bristol City, I'd be willing to bet that Coppell would be a shoe in for the Villa job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

That_Guy wrote: »
    With Coppell resigning as manager of Bristol City, I'd be willing to bet that Coppell would be a shoe in for the Villa job.
    A horseshoe maybe ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That_Guy wrote: »
    He has retired

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement