Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin O'Neill resigns

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

I'd get my facts straight before piping up if I were you...

Last 5 seasons:

Spurs|Everton
    5th|11th
    5th|6th
    11th|5th
    8th|5th
    4th|8th

Go further back and you'll see Everton finish above Spurs about 5 times since the PL's inception, and you'll see Villa challenging for the title in it's early years (you might have blocked those years out, you were scrambling to avoid relegation at the time)

Yes you've a fantastic manager, and yes you operate on a much smaller budget, but lets not lose the run of ourselves, shall we?

hardy losing the run of myself just pointing out that we havent blown tens of millions for ONE season in the champions league and that yes, we have achieved more on a shoe string budget than all the clubs close to us have in the past few seasons despite the likes of Spurs and City buying every player in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

ive nothing against Villa. they are a proper likable run club. having said that though, Villa, Spurs, City, have all failed to achieve the consistency Everton have in the past 4 or 5 seasons. apart for Spurs last season , Everton have been the only club to break into the 'top 4' yet we never get the media praise for how our club is run, properly. Its always Spurs this and Citeh that, even Villa get more coverage yet Everton have achieved more than all of the them in last few years on much less money. Sickening, but more enjoyable when we continue to be the next most likely club to break the top 4, which we shall do this season :D

Villa have finished 6th in the last three consecutive seasons.........if that is not consistency then I don't know what is :confused:

Also a whole lot of people forget that Villa have finished 2nd and 4th since the Premier League was created and have only finished outside the top 10 three times in it's 18 year history and that includes 9 top 6 finishes. Plus if you really get into the finer details, Villa have finished above Everton 11 times, Spurs 12 times and City 13 times (although they were relegated for a few seasons).

Everton fans seem to have very short and extremely selective memories ;)

Raekwon wrote: »
    Villa have finished 6th in the last three consecutive seasons.........if that is not consistency then I don't know what is :confused:

Also a whole lot of people forget that Villa have finished 2nd and 4th since the Premier League was created and have only finished outside the top 10 three times in it's 18 year history and that includes 9 top 6 finishes. Plus if you really get into the finer details, Villa have finished above Everton 11 times, Spurs 12 times and City 13 times (although they were relegated for a few seasons).

Everton fans seem to have very short and extremely selective memories ;)

again, with stronger finances and ability to buy in better players, none of the clubs around Everton have achieved anything of note. i dont recall Villa winning a trophy in the last 20 years? the carling cup perhaps?

again, with stronger finances and ability to buy in better players, none of the clubs around Everton have achieved anything of note. i dont recall Villa winning a trophy in the last 20 years? the carling cup perhaps?

2 League Cups actually (5 in our history), a competition that Everton have never won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

none of the clubs around Everton have achieved anything of note. i dont recall Villa winning a trophy in the last 20 years? the carling cup perhaps?

jaysus the way youre talking youd swear everton had cleaned up or something lol

2 League Cups actually (5 in our history), a competition that Everton have never won.

oh 2 league cups ive been really put in my place lol its not the greatest trophy out there friend, not bothered Everton havent won it, dont think we have won the Johnsons paint trophy either

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

oh 2 league cups ive been really put in my place lol its not the greatest trophy out there friend, not bothered Everton havent won it, dont think we have won the Johnsons paint trophy either

So if Everton get to the league cup final this year you a) won't bother watching it and b) won't bother celebrating it if ye win it?

Everton also haven't won the European Cup which Villa have, but I suppose you are not bothered about them not winning that either? Just as well so because they never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Everton also haven't won the European Cup which Villa have, but I suppose you are not bothered about them not winning that either? Just as well so because they never will.

Guys what are you bickering about. A little reality here :

1) Villas past glory suggest nothing for today , Villa are miles away from CL - not saying that just to rise people , its just reality.

2) Spurs will probably make a balls of this season because of the CL

3) Everton - Refer to point 1.

We're all very similar creature in the " Next 4 " , there's not much point spliting hairs over European cups from black and white days and league cup victories .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Guys what are you bickering about. A little reality here :

1) Villas past glory suggest nothing for today , Villa are miles away from CL - not saying that just to rise people , its just reality.

2) Spurs will probably make a balls of this season because of the CL

3) Everton - Refer to point 1.

We're all very similar creature in the " Next 4 " , there's not much point spliting hairs over European cups from black and white days and league cup victories .

I think few people would argue that Everton are in a much better position to challenge for a Top 4 place this season than Villa ever were, even before MON's departure. After Christmas, when Everton finally started to get some long-term injuries back, they were third in the form table, only Utd. and Chelsea collected more points than them. If Everton can avoid multiple long-term injuries they have a chance of getting into the Top 4 this season and any preview of the season that i've seen has agreed with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Warper wrote: »
    I think few people would argue that Everton are in a much better position to challenge for a Top 4 place this season than Villa ever were, even before MON's departure. After Christmas, when Everton finally started to get some long-term injuries back, they were third in the form table, only Utd. and Chelsea collected more points than them. If Everton can avoid multiple long-term injuries they have a chance of getting into the Top 4 this season and any preview of the season that i've seen has agreed with this.

Too many ifs and buts in that. If post Christmas was all that mattered then we ( Spurs ) won the league 09-09 season. Thing is its not what matters . Everton dont have the funds to compete with Spurs / Pool / City and probably Villa , do have a more limited squad and will get injuries.

Warper wrote: »

That first line is hilarious :D You are saying that Everton are in a much better position then Villa to challenge for 4th yet Everton finished 8th last season and will be nowhere near 4th position again this season either unless you actually think that Jermaine Beckford is a 25 goal a season striker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

This thread was MON v Rafa a while ago. Now it's Villa v Everton.

How about a big fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

hardy losing the run of myself just pointing out that we havent blown tens of millions for ONE season in the champions league and that yes, we have achieved more on a shoe string budget than all the clubs close to us have in the past few seasons despite the likes of Spurs and City buying every player in sight.

I like you, you're my new favourite poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

This thread was MON v Rafa a while ago. Now it's Villa v Everton.

How about a big fight

I'm looking forward to the MON v Villa part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

MONs career at villa was doomed when he ditched the euro league a few years back to 'concentrate' on either winning the league and/or finishing in the top 4.

Everton will finish miles above Villa next year., get over it.

PERIOD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

X in the city, i believe you owe me cash. Period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The amount of posts that must be bookmarked in this thread for the end of the season must be crazy :D I think it's a bit pre mature for anyone claiming to be finishing miles ahead of anyone at this stage The transfer window is still wide open and who knows who villa will get in as manager.

Edit hell making statements like that toward the end of the season can come back to smack you in the face too like Helix being so adament spurs wouldn't make the top 4:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

MONs career at villa was doomed when he ditched the euro league a few years back to 'concentrate' on either winning the league and/or finishing in the top 4.

Everton will finish miles above Villa next year., get over it.

PERIOD.

ummm No. What does this thread have to do with Everton, hmmm nothing, get over it.

Infact the one thing it did have was an everton who said that Villa fans had short memories and a number of people refuted that talking about the further back you look the bigger a great club like Villa looks. However that again has nothing to do with Everton.

with right now Villa being managerless yes id be inclined to maybe agree that Everton are more likely to finish above Villa but I still wouldent come into a thread like this and to use and old internet term flame it like you have just done. Its a thread about MON resigning not a place to gloat about how your team will in your opinion do better ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I was just about to ask him for a bet on Villa to finish ahead of Everton. He reneged on 1 with you?

• Advertisement

seems like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

seems like it
    Pathetic stuff.

to be expected to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

CSF wrote: »
    Pathetic stuff.

Agree. Much easier making bets than paying them.

lol

serious, once torres ended up like saha the bet was a gooner, sorry man.

when did he last score, must be a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

not the time or place lads.

take it to PM.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Agree. Much easier making bets than paying them.

Everton to finish ahead of Villa...mmmmm!

one of them is mine, i'll pm payment details for ya. good lad

one of them is mine, i'll pm payment details for ya. good lad

thats rent monies in case ye think i own a yacht...:rolleyes:

taken to pm, sorry ric didn't see your last post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

no worries, i'm closing this anyway.

it's turned into a d*ck-waving contest, and that discussion at the end there just tipped it over the edge.

anything related to Villa can go in the Villa thread now.

safer for everyone just to end this here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement