Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martin O'Neill resigns

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

JPA wrote: »
    MON divides opinion but does anyone actually think that Villa will do better than 6th with any new manager and a possibly slightly better squad?

MON is a good manager, no doubt about that but he seems unable to make the transition from taking a good team into an excellent team. His buys are questionable and only buys English players who clearly are not at the very top level. He has spent his fair share at Villa but you get the feeling he could have done better. There were opportunities for a Top 4 finish but he got it all wrong with the UEFA Cup tie 1/4 final which he played his B team. That wrecked the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm shocked Pellegrini isn't in the betting.

Are you really? A 56 year old who I suspect doesn't speak a word of English joining a squad massively dominated by English speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Ha ha Staunton at 50/1??? Good grief.

IMO its either over the Milner deal (as in him not getting the full transfer fee to spend not the actual deal taking place) or possibly Young.

No obvious big jobs for him to go to either, and probably won't be one for the considerable future now that the Liverpool job is gone. Only one I can think of is Man City if Bobby Mancini gets the bullet but not sure thats O'Neils type of club at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If he was hired as Liverpool manager you would have had a fit imo.

The Aston Villa job is as big as the Liverpool job right now.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

MON is an ambitious man, I reckon has resigned due to the lack of ambition shown by the club, sell to buy policy etc. Mr. Lerner is not looking like the saviour right now.

A sad day for AVFC. :(

When you look at the amount of money MON has spunked off I don't blame Lerner for introducing a sell to buy policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Warper wrote: »
    MON is a good manager, no doubt about that but he seems unable to make the transition from taking a good team into an excellent team. His buys are questionable and only buys English players who clearly are not at the very top level. He has spent his fair share at Villa but you get the feeling he could have done better. There were opportunities for a Top 4 finish but he got it all wrong with the UEFA Cup tie 1/4 final which he played his B team. That wrecked the team.

a semi final/final and a stone throw from cl football

disaster of a manager really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Are you really? A 56 year old who I suspect doesn't speak a word of English joining a squad massively dominated by English speakers?

Exactly.

Plus he loves South American players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think a fair bit depends on whether the new manager will have some new funds to work with or whether it will be the case that Randy sticks will the cut the wage bill plan first that MON was operating under this window.

MON built a reasonable squad but his net spend was somewhere in the order of plus £75m and it didnt look like a squad capable of breaking the topr four.

I have a feeling that Randy might be more generous with a new manager.

The fact was that MON seemed to be operating on the basis of removing some of the less inspired buys on high wages from the squad to generate some funds and free up some of the wage budget this summer.

Davies on £10m
    NRC on £8m
    Luke Young on £5.5m
    Sidwell £5m
    Harewood £4m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

:pac:
    When you quote me please have a bit of respect and put in a decent reply instead of a stupid smilie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I see Bilic is on fairly short odds, between 7/2 and 7/1.

I think a fair bit depends on whether the new manager will have some new funds to work with or whether it will be the case that Randy sticks will the cut the wage bill plan first that MON was operating under this window.

MON built a reasonable squad but his net spend was somewhere in the order of plus £75m and it didnt look like a squad capable of breaking the topr four.

The fact was that MON seemed to be operating on the basis of removing some of the less inspired buys on high wages from the squad to generate some funds and free up some of the wage budget this summer.

Davies on £10m
    NRC on £8m
    Luke Young on £5.5m
    Sidwell £5m
    Harewood £4m
    Notice you didn't mention Shorey who was just sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Davies on £10m
    NRC on £8m
    Luke Young on £5.5m
    Sidwell £5m
    Harewood £4m

Complete thrash.

Notice you didn't mention Shorey who was just sold.

Was looking for hiw much was paid for him and what Villa got for him
    Esse85 wrote: »
    Complete thrash.

My opinion....which I'd imagine quite a few people share

Would you care to make the case that the squad does look like it's capable of breaking the top four?

Compare what Wenger has achieved on much less money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Would you care to make the case that the squad does look like it's capable of breaking the top four?

It did look like breaking the top 4 the last two seasons in a row.

When you quote me please have a bit of respect and put in a decent reply instead of a stupid smilie.

:pac: ha
    Bit touchy dont you think?

The Aston Villa Managers Job is not anywhere as big as the Liverpool job. I found your post amusing and dellusional. I honestly do not know where to start with what is wrong with that statement, hence the first responce. I wont discuss it here as it will drag this OT.

MON got out of that job just in time. Villa will decline a lot this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I would have Villa and the Pool job side by side tbh.

Esse85 wrote: »
    It did look like breaking the top 4 the last two seasons in a row.

For a while until MON's lack of squad rotation and over-use of the same core of players meant that Villa inevitably faded away.

You really havent made the strongest argument that the Villa squad looked top-four standard.

Said this Saturday and stand by it.
    Personally I would rate Villa's chance of breaking into the top four this season to be less than 10%.
    However on the flipside I'd say the chance of ending up in the bottom half of the table to be somewhere similar 10%.
    Basically he has consolidated Villa as a top eight side but isn't the man to take Villa any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

A villa legend, with league and international management experience.

steve_staunton.jpg

:pac: ha
    Bit touchy dont you think?

The Aston Villa Managers Job has not and is not anywhere as big as the Liverpool job. I found your post amusing and dellusional. I honestly do not know where to start with what is wrong with that statement, hence the first responce. I wont discuss it here as it will drag this OT.

MON got out of that job just in time. Villa will decline a lot this season.
    Firstly you do realise that I'm not an Aston Villa fan, I think thats quite clear from my sig.

Secondly Aston Villa have a billionaire owner and are not in any financial trouble. They finished ahead of Liverpool last season.

They are both in a situation right now where they need Champion's league football to progress. They both have as good a chance as each other of making it to the CL imo.

So basically they are similar clubs. Aston Villa actually has the potential to be a lot bigger than Liverpool given the size of Birmingham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Nicky Shorey just left Villa, is that the root of the MON problem? :D

What a time to resign. Must be about transfer funds?

Firstly you do realise that I'm not an Aston Villa fan, I think thats quite clear from my sig.
    Not everyone can view sigs. You can choose to view them.

Personally I find them an eyesore :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

MON divides opinion but does anyone actually think that Villa will do better than 6th with any new manager and a possibly slightly better squad?
    Have to agree with that. Look at the Villa squad, there's a good starting 11, but after that it deteriorates very quickly. You also have to look at the emergence of Man City, there's just no way Villa can compete with that, especially this year. Then there's Everton and Spurs, who are probably on a par with Villa.

Top 8 is realistic, never mind top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I await Sven's statement about being a huge Villa fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If he was hired as Liverpool manager you would have had a fit imo.

The Aston Villa job is as big as the Liverpool job right now.

lol, I'll have to agree to disagree with you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Where did I put that betting slip...

Cheers, Martin.

Did you back him to be the first to leave?

Villa have been over achieving by even competing for 4th. And please don't compare anyone to Wenger, he is a freak of nature.

Secondly Aston Villa have a billionaire owner and are not in any financial trouble. They finished ahead of Liverpool last season.

They are both in a situation right now where they need Champion's league football to progress. They both have as good a chance as each other of making it to the CL imo.

So basically they are similar clubs. Aston Villa actually has the potential to be a lot bigger than Liverpool given the size of Birmingham.

When did i call you a villa fan?

Billionaire owner? Sure what good is that if he wont spend money on players?
    Villa have become a selling club. I believe Liverpool have a superior squad with players who have done it before. Villa have not. Aston Villa has always had potential, but haven't succeeded with MON, and IMO will not progress past 6th this season. Liverpool IMO have a much better chance to get back into a CL place than Villa do plus Liverpool are not selling off their star players to their rivals. And with new owners coming in soon The Liverpool Job is a far superior job IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Only 5 days ago the Racing Post tipped him to be the first to leave at 16/1. Some call, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Have to agree with that. Look at the Villa squad, there's a good starting 11, but after that it deteriorates very quickly. You also have to look at the emergence of Man City, there's just no way Villa can compete with that, especially this year. Then there's Everton and Spurs, who are probably on a par with Villa.

Top 8 is realistic, never mind top 4.

Everyone related to the club, i.e merson, big fat ron etc. has said he walked because he thinks he's taken us as far as he can, which i agree with, your not going to progress if your selling your best players at the end of each season.

Thanks Martin for the excellent work and for trying to make Villa a success, you can only do so much with your hands tied though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Overheard a chap upstairs in the canteen saying "I'd say he'll just take a year off before he walks into the ManUtd job next summer".

Please God let that be true!

Current Villa squad and what they cost

Total of £114.9m (and that's without taking into account Carew/Baros)

Brad Friedel £2m
    Habib Beye £2.5m
    Emile Heskey £3.5m
    Stiliyan Petrov £6.5m
    Luke Young £5.5m
    John Carew (swap with Baros who cost £5m)
    Richard Dunne £6m
    Nicky Shorey £3.5m
    Carlos Cuéllar £7.8m
    Stephen Warnock £6m
    Steve Sidwell £5m
    Moustapha Salifou Free
    James Collins £5m
    Nigel Reo-Coker £8.5m
    Stewart Downing £12m
    Brad Guzan £600k
    Curtis Davies £10m
    Ashley Young £8m
    James Milner £12m
    Gabriel Agbonlahor Youth
    Isaiah Osbourne Youth
    Eric Lichaj Youth
    Jonathon Hogg Youth
    Chris Herd Youth
    Shane Lowry Youth
    Ciaran Clark Youth
    Marc Albrighton Youth
    Fabian Delph £6m
    Barry Bannan Youth
    Elliot Parish Youth
    Nathan Delfouneso Youth
    Nathan Baker Youth
    Andreas Wiemann Youth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Overheard a chap upstairs in the canteen saying "I'd say he'll just take a year off before he walks into the ManUtd job next summer".

I doubt it, I wouldn't be surprised if Fergie stays for another 5 years

Villa have been over achieving by even competing for 4th. And please don't compare anyone to Wenger, he is a freak of nature.

Yeh Arsene is a freak all right....lucky he has the weird goalie thing working against him

• Advertisement

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Only 5 days ago the Racing Post tipped him to be the first to leave at 16/1. Some call, that.

Would he be technically (betting wise) first manager of the season to be fired or what? Seeing as the season hasn't started yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

hearing rumour from friend in Liverpool that O'Neill is about to be announced as assistant manager with a view to taking over next year... we'll have to wait and see.....

I have a strange feeling that MON and the board will kiss and make up, and he'll come back, while Lerner will release extra funds as a sweetener!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    hearing rumour from friend in Liverpool that O'Neill is about to be announced as assistant manager with a view to taking over next year... we'll have to wait and see.....

Uhm.

I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Basically he has consolidated Villa as a top eight side but isn't the man to take Villa any further.
    He can't take Villa further because he doesn't have the resources to do so.

Ashley Young is the highest earner at Villa, he's on £65,000 a week. Frank Lampard is on £150,000 a week, Rio Ferdinand is on £110,000 a week. Gerrard is on £120,000 a week, Robinho is on £160,000 a week. Players will follow the money, and the money simply isn't there to put Villa into the top 4, or even 5.

• Advertisement

Dr. Josef Venglos 100/1 to be next manager.:eek:

He can't take Villa further because he doesn't have the resources to do so.

Ashley Young is the highest earner at Villa, he's on £65,000 a week. Frank Lampard is on £150,000 a week, Rio Ferdinand is on £110,000 a week. Gerrard is on £120,000 a week, Robinho is on £160,000 a week. Players will follow the money, and the money simply isn't there to put Villa into the top 4, or even 5.

I'm pretty sure the money is there in the sense Randy has the cash.

I think it could be Randy not trusting MON with any new money at his stage given how he has done in the transfer market and the players he has signed on biggish wages(in Villa terms) that have done nothing bar sit on the bench and appear the odd time.

Arsenal's wage structure weakens your argument though.

Sure more money for wages would help but MON being better in the transfer market would help too.

I think it could be Randy not trusting MON with any new money at his stage given how he has done in the transfer market and the players he has signed on biggish wages(in Villa terms) that have done nothing bar sit on the bench and appear the odd time.

Sure more money for wages would help but MON being better in the transfer market would help too.

Arsenal have one of the biggest wage bills in the league. :confused:

Arsenal have one of the biggest wage bills in the league. :confused:

Wage structure vs wage bill...different things

Have a lot of younger players on seriously decent money.

It's how they sign so many promising young players. ;)

Wage structure vs wage bill...different things

Have a lot of younger players on seriously decent money.

It's how they sign so many promising young players. ;)

The thing is though, you seem to have higher expectations for Villa than actual Villa fans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Thanks for sharing

1232550426_worf%20face%20palm.gif

The thing is though, you seem to have higher expectations for Villa than actual Villa fans!

In fairness the aim of the club surely has to be to break into the top four.

Would be gobsmacked if that wasnt Randy's aim for the club.

If you look at where Villa are in terms of achieving that goal are they any nearer that they were at this time last year?

While the fans might be happy enough with consistent 6th places every year, I can't imagine Randy would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dr. Josef Venglos 100/1 to be next manager.:eek:

Ha, may as well be Dr. Joseph Goebbels for all the likelihood of it happening!

In fairness the aim of the club surely has to be to break into the top four.

Would be gobsmacked if that wasnt Randy's aim for the club.

If you look at where Villa are in terms of achieving that goal are they any nearer that they were at this time last year?

While the fans might be happy enough with consistent 6th places every year, I can't imagine Randy would be?

Maybe that's his aim but in terms of money invested we have been doing very very well to be competing at all with the like of City and Spurs with the money they have invested.
    So would a new manager do as well with the same level of investment?

What are you going on about. Lets go through Villa's first team right now. Friedel, Cuellar, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Petrov, Milner, Young, Downing, Carew, Agbonlahor.
    O'Neill bought all those players except Agbonlahor who came up through the youth ranks. He brought Dunne, Collins, Warnock and Downing last year. Thats a pretty good recent transfer history.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement